Arguments for #4 Pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Arguments for #4 Pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:00 pm

I don't see why everyone automatically assumes that Steven Jackson is the pick ahead of Alexander.

I mean SA broke his foot this year, but that was the first major injury of his career.

Prior to that injury, he had something like 4 or 5 season with 15 or more TDs. The guy is a rock. Selling this guy way short if you can't even put him at #4, let alone at #3 where he belongs.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Timbathia » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:20 am

Kensat30 wrote:I don't see why everyone automatically assumes that Steven Jackson is the pick ahead of Alexander.

I mean SA broke his foot this year, but that was the first major injury of his career.

Prior to that injury, he had something like 4 or 5 season with 15 or more TDs. The guy is a rock. Selling this guy way short if you can't even put him at #4, let alone at #3 where he belongs.

2300 total yards, 90 receptions and 16 TDs to me says SJax is the pick at 3. In a heavy TD, non-ppr league you can maybe make a case for SA, but in everything else there is no discussion (IMO).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Munboy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:59 am

Without any thought to loss of coaches or Olinemen or anything like that, my first thought is.

LT
LJ
SJ
SA
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:55 am

Munboy wrote:Without any thought to loss of coaches or Olinemen or anything like that, my first thought is.

LT
LJ
SJ
SA

I agree. I'm tempted to even take S. Jax over LJ with the second pick in the draft.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 75)

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:07 pm

Crippler wrote:I find it a little funny that tons of the guys who choose Parker have a Steelers avatar, while lots of the SA backers are wearing the Seattle colors. It seems as though you guys are basing way too much of your decision on being a homer. While we're at it, I'm choosing Betts as my #4 because I'm from VA :-/

That would be a completely different case. There are very convincing arguments for both SA and FWP to be the 4th pick. FWP has had 2 straight 1200 yard seasons and is coming off a year with 16 touchdowns. SA was one of the best in the league before injury, and he played well when he was healthy. There really isn't an argument that says that Betts should be the 4th overall pick, let alone a 4th round pick.

There are a lot of good candidates for the 4th pick, and if the tiebreaker is the guy on your favorite team, so be it. That just gives you extra incentive to root for him.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby My team is injured » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:45 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Westbrook- Yes he is the entire Philly offense. He puts up lots of yardage and lots of receptions. This year he showed that he can be a traditional feature back. BUT this year was also the first year that Westy didnt miss significant time due to injury. I love his numbers from last year but his knees concern me.

bobbing_headz wrote:Westbrook: A safer pick in that when he's healthy he produces. The only problem is he can't stay healthy. That's probably the sole reason I wouldn't take him. This season was the sole anomaly among a sea of injury marred ones.

this is a common misconception about westbrook... in his first season as the starting RB in 2004, he missed just 1 out of 17 games (including the 3 postseason games) due to injury.. he was benched the last 2 weeks as the Eagles had wrapped up home field and I think people for one reason or another seem to forget that this was not by any means, an injury-riddled season...

in 2005, he did miss the last 4 games due to injury, no argument from me there... and this season, he played 17 out of 18 games (including 2 postseason games)... 2 of his past 3 seasons, which are his only 3 seasons being the starting RB, he has missed only one game due to injury

in PPR, I probably put westbrook at #4... gore had a monster season and still finished behind westy in points despite playing one more game and despite westy being benched the last week of the season in the 1st quarter after dallas lost to detroit... fwp wasn't all that close in scoring to gore or westy and I don't see him closing the gap.. he's also way too inconsistent in my book to be rated that highly.. he had too many single digit point weeks including 3 weeks under 6 points.. in contrast, westbrook didn't have a single week under 10 points except week 17 when he was benched as the eagles clinched home field with the dallas loss
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:59 pm

Westbrook didn't "miss" games a lot this year, but there was a stretch where you had no idea whatsoever if he was going to play or not. And do you really want a guy who is always either injured or playing through an injury? The fact still remains that this guy still has never started more than 14 games in a season in his entire career with 14 this year being the most he's ever started. I personally do not believe it is a misconception about Westy because missing a ton of games or not, he gets hurt often, and it does affect his play.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:59 pm

Timbathia wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I don't see why everyone automatically assumes that Steven Jackson is the pick ahead of Alexander.

2300 total yards, 90 receptions and 16 TDs to me says SJax is the pick at 3. In a heavy TD, non-ppr league you can maybe make a case for SA, but in everything else there is no discussion (IMO).

2300/16

vs.

1650/16
1650/18
1700/16
1850/20
1950/28
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Timbathia » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:40 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Timbathia wrote:

2300/16

vs.

1650/16
1650/18
1700/16
1850/20
1950/28

In a 10yd per point format those extra 300 to 600 yards are worth an extra 5 to 10 TDs. Even in 20 yards per point SJax is on par with SA based on those numbers. Consistency is nice but SA is in a worse situation than previous years. Apart from the 28 TD year which I take as not his normal year, it is really no contest SJax over SA.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:44 pm

Timbathia wrote:Consistency is nice but SA is in a worse situation than previous years. Apart from the 28 TD year which I take as not his normal year, it is really no contest SJax over SA.

So is 2300 and 16 going to be SJax's 'normal' year?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk