Arguments for #4 Pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Arguments for #4 Pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Timbathia » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:56 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
Timbathia wrote:Consistency is nice but SA is in a worse situation than previous years. Apart from the 28 TD year which I take as not his normal year, it is really no contest SJax over SA.


So is 2300 and 16 going to be SJax's 'normal' year?


Yardage wise possibly not, but then based on his increased TD totals in the second half of the year, he may well pick up the slack there. The use of him in the receiving game gives a HUGE advantage over SA, especially considering SA is dependent on an o-line that is worse that it used to be. Apart from 2 games SA was under 4ypc all season. I dont see many indicators that Seattle are going to be back to a dominant offense/run game next year.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 975
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Geelong, Australia

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:06 pm

Timbathia wrote:Yardage wise possibly not, but then based on his increased TD totals in the second half of the year, he may well pick up the slack there. The use of him in the receiving game gives a HUGE advantage over SA, especially considering SA is dependent on an o-line that is worse that it used to be. Apart from 2 games SA was under 4ypc all season. I dont see many indicators that Seattle are going to be back to a dominant offense/run game next year.

Even though Alexander's lack of O-Line or his necessasity (sp) to need a good O-Line (Hutch) he still ran with authority against Chicago in the Divisional Playoff Game and he ran well against Green Bay with 40 carries for 201 yards (5 YAC). In the Chicago game he had 26 carries for 108 yards (4.15 YAC).
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6204
(Past Year: 69)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:07 pm

Timbathia wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
Timbathia wrote:Consistency is nice but SA is in a worse situation than previous years. Apart from the 28 TD year which I take as not his normal year, it is really no contest SJax over SA.


So is 2300 and 16 going to be SJax's 'normal' year?


Yardage wise possibly not, but then based on his increased TD totals in the second half of the year, he may well pick up the slack there. The use of him in the receiving game gives a HUGE advantage over SA, especially considering SA is dependent on an o-line that is worse that it used to be. Apart from 2 games SA was under 4ypc all season. I dont see many indicators that Seattle are going to be back to a dominant offense/run game next year.


Yeah, I question the 90 catches too. That's a lot, but maybe it can be done again.

As far as Seattle, the whole offense was in disarray with several key components getting injured this year: Hass/SA/DJax/etc...So I am not contesting, I feel the whole offense underachieved. I am trying to establish what kind of rebound to expect from them and Alexander specifically, while tempering that with what might not be a repeatable year from SJax.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 22027
Joined: 3 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Has Left The Premises.

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:10 pm

I agree with Swiper. I do think that 90 catches may have been a lot, and I doubt he'll have that many again next year, but I do see S.Jax TD number's produce and go up.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6204
(Past Year: 69)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:45 am

Dawinner127 wrote:I agree with Swiper. I do think that 90 catches may have been a lot, and I doubt he'll have that many again next year, but I do see S.Jax TD number's produce and go up.


I disagree. The new Linehan offense encourages more of this. Bulger loves throwing the checkdown pass to Jackson and until Holt or Bruce leave/get worse then defenses are gonna cover them downfield all day leaving s.jax open in the flats.
Image
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5602
Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: North of the Border

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:35 am

bobbing_headz wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:I agree with Swiper. I do think that 90 catches may have been a lot, and I doubt he'll have that many again next year, but I do see S.Jax TD number's produce and go up.


I disagree. The new Linehan offense encourages more of this. Bulger loves throwing the checkdown pass to Jackson and until Holt or Bruce leave/get worse then defenses are gonna cover them downfield all day leaving s.jax open in the flats.


While I realize it encourages it, that's a ton of receptions to bank on for a RB year after year. That number could easily go down 30 receptions.

St Louis had to play from behind a lot and there were several games where Jackson got a ton of catches very late since that's what the defenses were giving them.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 22027
Joined: 3 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Has Left The Premises.

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:48 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:While I realize it encourages it, that's a ton of receptions to bank on for a RB year after year. That number could easily go down 30 receptions.

St Louis had to play from behind a lot and there were several games where Jackson got a ton of catches very late since that's what the defenses were giving them.

Yup. In the two games were Jackson had 9 or more receptions (9, 10 and 13), it was during three games that StL was down and ended up losing.

When Jackson had 13, the Rams lost 31-17 to the Chiefs.
When Jackson had 10, the Rams lost 42-17 to the Bears.
When Jackson had 9, the Rams lost 34-20 to the Cardinals.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6204
(Past Year: 69)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:While I realize it encourages it, that's a ton of receptions to bank on for a RB year after year. That number could easily go down 30 receptions.

St Louis had to play from behind a lot and there were several games where Jackson got a ton of catches very late since that's what the defenses were giving them.

Yup. In the two games were Jackson had 9 or more receptions (9, 10 and 13), it was during three games that StL was down and ended up losing.

When Jackson had 13, the Rams lost 31-17 to the Chiefs.
When Jackson had 10, the Rams lost 42-17 to the Bears.
When Jackson had 9, the Rams lost 34-20 to the Cardinals.


Good point. So basically, if St. Louis gets a better defense and isn't behind as much, S-Jax will get worse reception-wise. If they don't improve, he will stay about the same, probably still a little worse.
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:While I realize it encourages it, that's a ton of receptions to bank on for a RB year after year. That number could easily go down 30 receptions.

St Louis had to play from behind a lot and there were several games where Jackson got a ton of catches very late since that's what the defenses were giving them.

Yup. In the two games were Jackson had 9 or more receptions (9, 10 and 13), it was during three games that StL was down and ended up losing.

When Jackson had 13, the Rams lost 31-17 to the Chiefs.
When Jackson had 10, the Rams lost 42-17 to the Bears.
When Jackson had 9, the Rams lost 34-20 to the Cardinals.



Very good analysis there. ;-D ;-D
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Postby Timbathia » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:48 pm

Yes, the high reception days were on account of St Louis being down (though he did have 9 against the 49ers when they were up all day).

In the last three games St Louis were even or up all day and SJax scored 8 TDs.

My point is that it appears from the season just gone, that SJax is a HUGE part of that offense when they are up, when they are down, and when they are behind.

The argument about whether he can get 90 receptions again will be tied to St Louis's record, but whether he does or not is by no means bad for Jackson's fantasy numbers.

He only had ONE game with under 20 combined touches (he had 14), and 5 games over 30 touches. Based on St Louis going 8-8, he gets the ball no matter what.

Seems like a win-win to me.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 975
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Geelong, Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:21 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact