What Else Should the Broncos Do? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Denver Broncos

What Else Should the Broncos Do?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby madaslives911 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:48 am

according to the article i've read in Denver Post, if it comes down to cutting Plummer, Denver will save $3 million against the cap.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Captain » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:08 pm

But wouldn't it make sense for them to try and trade him as opposed to just cutting him? I know they would save a good deal of money releasing him, but I gotta believe they could fill a need by trading him.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Broncos Offseason Needs

Postby The Lung » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:27 pm

From Fanball: http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.9071/Football

By Jon Lopuch, Associate Editor
Broncos Offseason Needs
Our team-by-team look at offseason needs examines the Broncos, who were left out of the playoffs for the first time in four seasons. A return to the postseason and consistent fantasy relevance may be just around the corner, however, with Jay Cutler under center and Javon Walker making plays out wide.

Areas of Need: Head coach Mike Shanahan finally had enough of Jake Plummer's mistakes and benched the veteran after 11 games last season in favor of the rookie Cutler. The starting job is now Cutler's for the foreseeable future, but Plummer still feels he can be a starter and is expected to be let go at some point in the offseason, likely after June 1 so the cap hit could be spread out over two seasons. Without Plummer around, the Broncos will be looking for a veteran backup to mentor and serve as insurance for Cutler.

The Broncos had one back that ran for 1,025 yards and another who scored eight times, but the team is still searching for the workhorse runner it enjoyed during the glory days of Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis. Shanahan seems convinced nether Tatum Bell nor Mike Bell can handle the workload Davis or Portis did, meaning he will be looking for a bell cow this offseason.

The biggest need Denver has on defense is a legitimate pass rusher. The line has good depth, but none of the players will keep opposing linemen up at night figuring out ways to stop them. The line could also use a starting-caliber tackle to help wreak havoc in the middle, especially if free agent Michael Myers leaves town. The murder of starting cornerback Darrent Williams has sadly created another opening. As such, depth is suddenly a concern.

Help is on the Way? The Broncos have about $4 million in cap space, according to the Denver Post, but that number is expected to increase as they try to rework deals with Eenezer Ekuban and wideout Rod Smith, who is scheduled to make over $5 million next season despite finishing 2006 with 512 yards and three touchdowns.

Fantasy owners will be watching closely to see if the Broncos acquire a feature back because any back in their system who gets 350 carries will likely be an elite producer. Denver could hope that a back like Marshawn Lynch falls to them with the 21st pick in the first round, but that possibility seems unlikely at this point. There aren't many backs in the draft who could handle a full workload, so the Broncos could address this need via free agency with a player like Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis, who is expected to be released by the Ravens. However, both those guys already have plenty of carries on their resume, so Shanahan may hold tight with the crew he has and go through another season splitting carries among them.

There aren't many quality veteran quarterbacks available right now, as Damon Huard or Tim Rattay look to be the best of the bunch. Both would serve their purpose as veteran backups, but they offer little to fantasy owners, even if Cutler got hurt and they were pressed into service.

Don't expect Denver to sign one of higher priced cornerbacks on the market such as Nate Clements or Asante Samuel, but they could add depth with the likes of Randall Gay or David Macklin. Another option at their disposal is the draft, where they could target Marcus McCauley, Daymeion Hughes, and Aaron Ross.

The Broncos could also look to the draft to address their lack of a pass rush. Several players who can get to the quarterback are expected to go near their spot in the first round; guys like Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, and Jarvis Moss could each make an immediate impact. If Denver falls in love with one of them, don't be surprised to see them trade up; that's exactly what they did to land Cutler a year ago.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby JeRmZ » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:19 am

The_Captain wrote:I doubt the Broncos will just flat cut Plummer. Obviously a lot has to do with how much of a cap hit the Broncos will/would take based on his existing contract (details of which I don't have) if the did release him.

it is something like this ... if they cut or trade before June 1st we will take around an 8 million cap hit, after june 1st it will be 3 million this year and 5 next. These are just general #'s but I know it is somewhere close to the 9 million mark total. Obviously our best bet is to wait until after June 1st and take the 3/5 option and then trade him away to see what we can get.

Many people think he won't be worth much, but I on the other hand think Denver and many other teams know Plummer's value and we could come out with a nice offer from several teams ... most likely in my opinion ... Houston! Plummer had a man crush on Kubiak and vice versa and I think Houston is looking for that mobile QB due to their Oline problems!
JeRmZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The_Captain » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:40 pm

JeRmZ wrote:
The_Captain wrote:I doubt the Broncos will just flat cut Plummer. Obviously a lot has to do with how much of a cap hit the Broncos will/would take based on his existing contract (details of which I don't have) if the did release him.

it is something like this ... if they cut or trade before June 1st we will take around an 8 million cap hit, after june 1st it will be 3 million this year and 5 next. These are just general #'s but I know it is somewhere close to the 9 million mark total. Obviously our best bet is to wait until after June 1st and take the 3/5 option and then trade him away to see what we can get.

Many people think he won't be worth much, but I on the other hand think Denver and many other teams know Plummer's value and we could come out with a nice offer from several teams ... most likely in my opinion ... Houston! Plummer had a man crush on Kubiak and vice versa and I think Houston is looking for that mobile QB due to their Oline problems!

I remember reading this information as well. Knowing Denver has some needs to fill, the better bet is to try and trade Plummer and get some value for him. At least that's what I hope they do.....

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby madaslives911 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:06 am

Broncos would certainly need a good backup QB if Plummer goes to Houston. Also, they need a WR#2 as Rod Smith is on the decline coz age is slowing him down (*sigh).

BTW, just seen somewhere in the FFC Forum that Eagles' Garcia would be a Free Agent. I wonder if the Broncos would be interested in him. Would be nice to have a good backup veteran QB like him.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:29 pm

madaslives911 wrote:Broncos would certainly need a good backup QB if Plummer goes to Houston. Also, they need a WR#2 as Rod Smith is on the decline coz age is slowing him down (*sigh).

BTW, just seen somewhere in the FFC Forum that Eagles' Garcia would be a Free Agent. I wonder if the Broncos would be interested in him. Would be nice to have a good backup veteran QB like him.

Jeff Garcia might be too expensive considering what he did filling in for Donovan McNabb this year. He'd be a solid backup, but somehow I just don't see that happening for Denver. From what I've been reading Minnesota is also interested in him.

Regarding the #2 WR slot - I read the other day Brandon Marshall (who seems to be developing a nice rapport with Cutler) is going to be the #2 WR this coming season, moving Rod Smith to the #3 spot. I think this is a good move by both the Broncos and Rod Smith. Smiths' age certainly is a concern but he's probably got enough gas in the tank to be a good #3 possession receiver. Having Walker and Marshall on the field at the same time could make (given time) the Broncos passing game VERY dangerous.

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby JeRmZ » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:29 pm

madaslives911 wrote:Broncos would certainly need a good backup QB if Plummer goes to Houston. Also, they need a WR#2 as Rod Smith is on the decline coz age is slowing him down (*sigh).

#2 WR slot will be filled by Brandon Marshall this year, Rod will take the #3 slot in order to preserve his aging body. and RUMOR has it that Ashley Lelie's agent has contacted the Bronco's about the possibility of him returning to Denver ... this is just RUMOR as of right now.

My biggest issue with Lelie was his Dropsies. Run fast, get open, drop ball ... that was his biggest downfall. The other was Plummers inability to hit him on the long ball, a problem I don't think Cutler will have.

It could be bitter sweet in the end if we have a Quad of Walker, Marshall, Smith, Lelie .... BIG THREAT!!!

madaslives911 wrote:BTW, just seen somewhere in the FFC Forum that Eagles' Garcia would be a Free Agent. I wonder if the Broncos would be interested in him. Would be nice to have a good backup veteran QB like him.

Garcia will go somewhere where he can play, and there may be some teams to offer him that after his performance in Philly this year. I don't see the Bronco's being able to obtain him as a backup for the $$ he will want.
JeRmZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby madaslives911 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 pm

The_Captain wrote:
.. Having Walker and Marshall on the field at the same time could make (given time) the Broncos passing game VERY dangerous.

Speaking of Walker, anybody knows how he's doing? Was he traumatized with that shooting incident considering he was inside the car and if yes, what assistance has been offered by the Denver Broncos management so that he could overcome the trauma.

Am just concerned that bad memories might haunt him to the point that his game would be negatively affected. :-o
Visit My Sigs Gallery

madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Timbathia » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:43 pm

madaslives911 wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
.. Having Walker and Marshall on the field at the same time could make (given time) the Broncos passing game VERY dangerous.

Speaking of Walker, anybody knows how he's doing? Was he traumatized with that shooting incident considering he was inside the car and if yes, what assistance has been offered by the Denver Broncos management so that he could overcome the trauma.

Am just concerned that bad memories might haunt him to the point that his game would be negatively affected. :-o

Havent heard anything actually. It is certainly possible, people take things like this in different ways. Who knows, it may actually spur Walker on to play even better. If this were during the preseason or regular season I would be worried about it, but I am assuming that he will get the appropriate help to deal with it before then.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Denver Broncos