What Else Should the Broncos Do? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Denver Broncos

What Else Should the Broncos Do?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The_Captain » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:05 pm

According to the papers down here (in Dallas), Walker did not attend Darrent's funeral b/c of how traumatized he was over the incident. Remember, Darrent died in Walkers arms in the car on that night. I'm sure with counseling he'll be fine and could quite possibly dedicate this coming year to Darrent.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shasty mcnasty » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:57 pm

difficult to imagine garcia coming, for the reasons already stated...he'll be looking for the place most likely to net him a starting gig and/or the $, and i'm pretty sure Shanny doesn't have a history of paying alot for backup QBs...it will be interesting to see who backs up Cutler this year.
Other than that, i see our needs as already stated....

1. D-line: pash rusher/run stopper (but i wonder if someone good enough would really drop to the 21st pick...seems like the ones worth picking always go early, and then they might be better off waiting)
2. Defensive Backfield (Shanahan is in love with this part of the team, and recently really seems to target it...with Williams gone, and the Safety position a bit shallow, i'm sure we'll see picks in this area.
3. Offensive Line (for depth mostly, but it seems like we almost almost pick these guys late in the draft, and when we get them early, they don't pan out...see: Foster, George)
4. Running Back (not sure what to say here. it seems like the trend around the league has been that if you don't have that stud, then just use 2 or 3 different guys to fill different roles/play the hot hand. From a fantasy perspective, this obviously sucks, but even on the real field, it sure would be nice to again be one of those teams with a clear-cut stud. But at #21 in the 1st round, it just doesn't seem realistic.)
5. WR (It does seem like Marshall will be able to step in to the #2 spot, and as long as Walker can recover from the trauma, with Rod Smith at #3, our passing game could be dangerous.) That said, the transition from part time guy to reliable #2 receiver might be a bit of a jump...it will be interesting to see if he can really win the job from Rod.

All that said, what in the world will the team take in the 1st round? To me, it just seems like the 21st pick will be a difficult place to get a difference maker at D-line or at RB. so maybe a trade up for a quality guy, or maybe a trade down to stockpile picks in later rounds/add 1st rounder in a later year? I don't know.
shasty mcnasty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby The_Captain » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:22 pm

I read two items of interest the other regarding the RB position this coming season:

1. Shanahan really likes what he has seen out of this Andre Hall kid. I know they moved him to the practice squad late in the season so it'll be interesting to see if Shanahan gives him a shot at earning the starting gig. I really like Tatum Bell's speed, but if he can't stay healthy then Denver must address this or they'll be in the same spot as last year.

2. Denver might have some interest in OU RB Adrian Peterson. Shanahan likes what he's seen of this kid but they would have to probably trade up to at least the #5 spot to have a shot at him.

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:13 pm

Another little tasty tidbit I read this morning - Denver might make a concerted effort to get Falcons DE Patrick Kerney. Kerney would have resigned with the Falcons had his position coach, Bill Johnson, stayed in Atlanta, but Bill accepted a position as the defensive line coach with the Broncos.

Kerney would certainly be an excellent addition to the defensive line for the Broncos and give them a legitimate pass rusher.

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby madaslives911 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:31 pm

keep posting those valuable information Captain. ;-D
Am representing the Broncos in the GM Mock Draft so i need all the inputs i can get.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:44 pm

From: http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.9691/Football

By John Tuvey, Executive Editor

Broncos Draft Preview

Wants and Needs: Denver addressed its two biggest needs—a reliable running back and a corner to start opposite Champ Bailey— via free agency and a trade, respectively. That allows them to enter the draft without any glaring weaknesses, though given their track record that won't necessarily prevent them from moving up and down the draft board as Mike Shanahan sees fit. In a deep receiver class the Broncos are expected to target a replacement for aging Rod Smith, most likely with one of their four Day One selections. The Browns aren't getting rid of any defensive linemen this offseason, so Denver may have to turn to the draft to upgrade in that area, focusing on a pass-rusher or at minimum a disruptive play-maker. Denver's safeties are nothing special, and John Lynch is nearing the end of his career anyway; again, the Broncos' need lies in an area that should be deep in this draft, allowing them to find both depth and immediate help. Finally, the Broncos are always looking for mobile offensive linemen who fit their zone-blocking scheme. They usually address this need on Day Two, and with no picks in rounds four or five the emphasis this time around will be on a developmental project.

Potential Selections: Four selections in the first three rounds should allow the Broncos to address their primary needs, and most mocks have them focused on a pass rusher such as Florida's Jarvis Moss or Purdue's Anthony Spencer with their first selection. If Denver goes offensive in round two, they should be able to choose from amongst the likes of South Carolina's Sidney Rice, Ohio State's Anthony Gonzalez, and LSU's Craig Davis; waiting a round would put East Carolina's Aundrae Allison or Washington State's Jason Hill into play. Depending on which receiver fits Shanahan's plans, the Broncos could target a safety like Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse or Syracuse's Tanard Jackson in round two, or wait and pursue Arizona's Michael Johnson or Utah's Eric Weddle. Jackson and Weddle come with the added versatility of cornerback experience. Potential Day Two project linemen include Rutgers guard Cameron Stephenson, Auburn tackle Jonathan Palmer, and Missouri Southern's Allen Barbre, who can play both positions.

Denver's Picks:
Round One: 21st overall
Round Two: 56th overall
Round Three: 70th overall (from Redskins), 86th overall
Round Four: No pick (traded to Falcons)
Round Five: No pick (traded to Lions)
Round Six: 176th overall (from Lions), 198th overall
Round Seven: 233rd overall
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Timbathia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:09 pm

My guess is that there is no way we stay at 21. I reckon Shanny does everything possible to trade up half a dozen spots, and if that doesnt work then he will most likely trade down (unless someone drops unexpectedly, like Carriker or Willis).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Denver Broncos