Diver Partially Eaten By Shark - And Lives - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Diver Partially Eaten By Shark - And Lives

Moderator: Football Moderators

Diver Partially Eaten By Shark - And Lives

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:32 pm

SYDNEY, Jan 23 (Reuters Life!) - An Australian abalone diver told rescuers he was partly swallowed head-first by a Great White Shark on Tuesday but managed to fight his way free, suffering a broken nose and bite marks around the chest.

Diver Eric Nerhus, 41, was underwater with his 25-year-old son and other divers off Cape Howe, near Eden on Australia's southeast coast, when the 3 meter (10 foot) shark attacked.

Rescuers earlier mistakenly reported his age as 25.

"He stated that he was head-first into the shark," a spokeswoman for Snowy Hydro SouthCare rescue service told Reuters after airlifting the diver to hospital.

"When he came to us he was conscious and alert but had a broken nose and lacerations to both sides of his torso and chest -- bite marks all the way around," the spokeswoman said.

Nerhus told fellow divers he didn't see the shark coming as the water was so dirty that visibility was severely limited.

"It was black. He didn't see it coming, but he felt the bite and then started getting shaken, and that's when he knew he was in the mouth of the shark," said local diver Michael Mashado.

The shark bit Nerhus around the head first, crushing his face mask and breaking his nose, fellow diver and friend Dennis Luobikis told Reuters.

NOTHING BUT THE VEST

"He was actually bitten by the head...the shark swallowed his head,"
said Luobikis, adding a second bite by the shark saw it clench its jaw around Nerhus' torso.

"The brunt of the bite was taken by his lead-weight vest. Its all over your torso. Eric said to me at the wharf that his weight vest saved him," he said.

Abalone divers spend sometimes 6 to 8 hours underwater and use lead weight vests, not lead belts, to stay down. The vests spread the lead weight across the body, minimising back strain.

Nerhus fought frantically to free himself from the shark's jaws and was eventually pulled back aboard his boat by his son.

"He pushed his abalone chisel into its head while it was biting and it let him go and swam away," said Luobikis.

Luobikis said it was a miracle his friend had lived.

"Eric is a tough boy, he's super fit. But I would say that would test anyone's resolve, being a fish lunch," he said.

Attacks by Great White Sharks are usually fatal because of the massive size of the predators, which breed in Australia's cold southern waters, and the sheer force of their bites.

Sharks, including Great Whites, are protected in Australia.

Australia has had a number of shark attacks in the past year.

In December, a surfer off the southern coast survived an attack with minor injuries, while a 15-year-old boy swimming off a remote southwest beach had his leg bitten.

Last January, a scuba diver off the Western Australian city of Perth survived an attack by a Great White after fighting it off with his speargun and then his hands.

A 21-year-old woman died last January after she was attacked by three sharks while swimming off an island on Australia's northeast coast. She lost both forearms and suffered wounds to the legs and torso.

The U.S. state of Florida annually records by far the most shark attacks.

Maybe it's just my interpretation of these guys, but they really seem calm about this whole situation. I'd be freaking out if my friend had been in the mouth of the shark! 8-o :-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Damn!! :-o
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:55 pm

I saw this, that is crazy. At least i will know what to do if i find my head stuck in a sharks mouth :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 pm

meh, just another bad day at the ocean. ;-7

That's absolutely crazy. I mean living through a shark attack is crazy, but that's usually when somebody lost a leg or arm, but his head was in the shark's MOUTH!!! 8-o
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:meh, just another bad day at the ocean. ;-7

That's absolutely crazy. I mean living through a shark attack is crazy, but that's usually when somebody lost a leg or arm, but his head was in the shark's MOUTH!!! 8-o

It would certainly be a crazy experience, but it's far from being rare. As a matter of fact, most shark attack victims tend to live. As it turns out we are not tasty to sharks and rarely are eaten. They usually bite us and then move on; the people who die usually die from this first attack and not repeated attacks although blood being in the water can bring on more sharks. 8-o

There are exceptions however and the Tiger Shark is one of them. They eat just about anything.

From what I understand though, sharks are highly evolved creatures and are more curious of humans than anything else. That, of course, doesn't mean I'm going to start swimming around them any time soon.

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:20 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:meh, just another bad day at the ocean. ;-7

There was that 14-year-old champion surfer girl who lost an arm a year or two ago. Now she's on a billboard in my town with some inspirational message about never giving up. It's weird, but what are you going to do if you lose an arm? Give up or keep on living?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:15 pm

Some guy: Every been to Greenland?
Eric: No. Ever been in the mouth of a shark?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:40 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Some guy: Every been to Greenland?

haha, so true. This guy will NEVER be one-upped. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:

Not so sure about that. How about:

Derek: Every tapped Jessica Alba and Jessica Biel??
Eric: No. Ever been in the mouth of a shark??
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Karoz » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:53 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

Not so sure about that. How about:

Eric: No. Ever been in the mouth of a shark??

Eric: No. Ever been in the mouth of a shark??[
Karoz: Ever tapped both Jessica Alba and Jessica Biel at the same time??
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk