Superbowl XLI prediction. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Superbowl XLI prediction.

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do you think Superbowl XLI will turn out?

Colts in a landslide.
28%
Colts in a close one.
28%
Bears in a landslide.
11%
Bears in a close one.
33%

Total votes : 46

Postby joe bass » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:07 pm

tfunky14 wrote:SeaBass wrote

Heh, heh. :-) :-b

Just messing around. I thought the game against the saints would be a back and forth nail-biter. And seeing all of ESPNs experts, and this site, and pretty much every poll having far more people picking the Saints, it was hard to be too confident going into that one.

Indy is a better team than NO, on both sides of the ball, but I like the way we match-up. Peyton is the best regular season quarterback, probably of all-time. But, he's really only played lights-out for 1/2 a playoff game. So, as much as everyone says Rex is the X-factor, he's thrown more TDs and fewer INTs per game than Peyton in the playoffs so far.

If Peyton truly has the bad playoff performance monkey off his back, Grossman will need to play the game of his life for the Bears to be close. Just protecting the ball won't get it done. But, if Peyton plays closer to a "Bad Rex" style, we should be able to win this one w/ better D and special teams.
joe bass
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:26 pm

joe bass wrote:
tfunky14 wrote:SeaBass wrote

Heh, heh. :-) :-b

Just messing around. I thought the game against the saints would be a back and forth nail-biter. And seeing all of ESPNs experts, and this site, and pretty much every poll having far more people picking the Saints, it was hard to be too confident going into that one.

Indy is a better team than NO, on both sides of the ball, but I like the way we match-up. Peyton is the best regular season quarterback, probably of all-time. But, he's really only played lights-out for 1/2 a playoff game. So, as much as everyone says Rex is the X-factor, he's thrown more TDs and fewer INTs per game than Peyton in the playoffs so far.

If Peyton truly has the bad playoff performance monkey off his back, Grossman will need to play the game of his life for the Bears to be close. Just protecting the ball won't get it done. But, if Peyton plays closer to a "Bad Rex" style, we should be able to win this one w/ better D and special teams.

The thing is that Peyton doesn't have to play lights-out to win this game I don't think. He has to play pretty well, yes, but not lights-out. Indy has proven they can stop teams when they need to and they will be focusing on the Chicago running game that was the downfall of the Saints defense. Then it will be up to Grossman to beat the the #2 pass defense in the NFL during the regular season.....and that's without Bob Sanders for much of the year.

The continued "Rex has thrown fewer INTs than Manning" arguments are laughable, you very well know that this fact means nothing when you take into account who Manning has played defensively and who Chicago has played. There's really no comparison whatsoever if you try to compare BAL/NE to SEA/NO on the defensive side of the ball. Yes, Manning had a bad game against KC, but seeing as how he's only played better since then against better defenses, you should be more worried than relieved when you look at his numbers.

The Bears defense is good, no doubt about it, but the biggest weakness is definitely in the secondary. The Colts have been playing very good defense in the post-season and their offense is starting to pick it up too. I guess I'm trying to figure out where you think you "match up well" with the Colts. Good passing game (Colts) vs. weak secondary (some due to injuries but weak nonetheless). Mediocre passing game (Bears) vs. #2 pass defense. Colts have had an effective running game as have the Bears, but unlike the Colts, the Bears cannot simply concentrate on shutting down the run and have any chance at all. The Colts have the luxury of being able to concentrate on the run and try to make what has been an inconsistent QB beat their 2nd ranked pass defense. I think that's the difference in the game.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby tfunky14 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:27 pm

I agree with the above post.. Colts need to focus on stopping the run first. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears come right of the gate throughing the ball around. (Steelers did that last year.) Colts Defense will need to be aware of that just in case, but if they stop the run and make Grossman beat you, I like my chances against their QB...
tfunky14
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 20)

Postby wet_fantasy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:34 am

grossman will throw 3-4 INT's in this one....colts secondary will be too much for him to handle.

colts take it - 27-17
wet_fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Indys_time » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:34 pm

Colts win 30-20 ;-D
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TxPlaya » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:39 pm

Colts 28 Bears 24
The colts defence and bob sanders will be ready to play and I dont see them having a problem with jones and benson.
TxPlaya
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:11 am

Colts 27
Bears 24

Vinatieri kicks the game winner in the 1st ever SB OT. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby zevon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:51 pm

Could be another 15-6 game...
Hope not, that was snooze inducing.

One of the more interesting prop bets I've seen is Indy D to score a TD at +650. Not a big stretch if Rex is being the Rex Rex can be at times.
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:04 pm

zevon wrote:Could be another 15-6 game...
Hope not, that was snooze inducing.

One of the more interesting prop bets I've seen is Indy D to score a TD at +650. Not a big stretch if Rex is being the Rex Rex can be at times.

Did you watch the Indy/Baltimore game??? That was anything but "snooze inducing". The game was always close enough that one good drive by the Baltimore offense could mean the game for the Ravens....it was probably one of the most exciting low scoring games i've seen.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:38 am

I'm gonna take the Bears here

17-14

It's gonna be a tight one. Both teams definately have the potential here but I think that a great D beats a great offense anyday. Peyton hasn't been great in the playoffs and he has faced some great Ds (Baltimore, Pats) so I don't think he's suddenly gonna explode for a big game. However, Colts D is pretty good so this one could be a stinker in terms of action. I'm thinking that the Bears special teams give them the upper edge and the opportunity to break a deadlock.

I'm just praying this isn't another Ravens/Colts game.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting