USC and Bush in Hot Water - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

USC and Bush in Hot Water

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dgan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:34 pm

This isn't even about boosters, though. This is about a marketing agent looking at future $$ when Bush hit the NFL....allegedly. So I can easily see how the University would not know about it because it had nothing to do with his college career. It's like when Lebron's mom got a Hummer paid in full while he was still in high school. It's not like the high school had anything to do with it.
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:54 pm

CC wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
dgan wrote:I am so confused. Why is there a "federal investigation" on a NCAA rule? Bush isn't in trouble other than they could possibly lose his Heisman or something...USC is in trouble, but what college isn't? They all pull this crap - it's just a matter of who they decide to catch and when.

The bottom line, though, is there isn't any law that was broken. It's just NCAA stuff...so this won't affect Bush anywhere but in the PR realm.


Until that statement is proven I'll be happy not to believe it. There are many, many institutions that remain honest and above-board in their dealings with their players and the NCAA. I would imagine corruption exists on small levels nearly everywhere simply because you cannot police every booster and adjutant to the program, but stuff on this scale is NOT common.

I wonder, if this is true, what this would mean about the future of Pete Carroll at USC. There are NFL jobs waiting for him. If the heat gets too severe I wonder if he jumps ship to the NFL?


Here. Here. I can say truthfully, that outside of the occasional $100-$500 handshake, that this hasnt happen at NU.

The gall of some of these players is almost unbelievable to me. Is another year of middle to lower-middle class that bad, that you have to risk future gains, tarnish your image and your schools, and possibly, if this had been exposed while he was still at USC, cost his teammates wins and a NC (or 2)? Considering how much his parents benefitted from this, I wonder what their level of involvment was.


How can you say that? You can't know what happens on a visit, or what happens when a booster calls up a recruit and offers him more cash than he has ever seen.

You'd like to think you know, but it isn't possible to know for sure.
For every Bush, Means, Clarett, or Fab 5 issue there are probably 10 that go unnoticed. College football is not as clean and pure as we would all like to believe.


Of course you can't be POSITIVE, but you also can't go off assuming every program is doing stuff like this. You are basically saying that every program is paying players to go there, correct? Well, there is no way that is true, because for every program that pays a player to come, there are at least 2 that don't. (IMO)
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Postby eman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:44 am

dgan wrote:This isn't even about boosters, though. This is about a marketing agent looking at future $$ when Bush hit the NFL....allegedly. So I can easily see how the University would not know about it because it had nothing to do with his college career. It's like when Lebron's mom got a Hummer paid in full while he was still in high school. It's not like the high school had anything to do with it.

This was my thinking as well.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1392
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: SoCal

Postby levittator31 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:06 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Am I the only one who can really care less about this? And I'm a UCLA fan.

I find it funny that everyone else in college is allowed to make money by using the skills they possess but the athletes can't. These guys get a job for more than min wage and they are blamed for being on the take. What are you just expected to be poor through college? I guess I don't get it.

The only downside I see to allowing these guys make money is some universities would be like the Yankees.

To me this is just as bad as recruting guys with no intention of graduating them like OSU.

These athletes should be able to make something but it should be capped.


CHEAP SHOT ALERT! :-# In fact, OSU has 36 varsity sports teams, and almost every member of every team except men's basketball and football graduates. Even on the football and basketball teams, those that don't graduate often do so because they choose to go pro. That actually hurts the college, why would you want a talented athlete to leave early? :-? :-?
Go Bengals, NY Giants, Raptors, Blue Jays, Nationals, Wizards, Maple Leafs, Ohio State Football and Basketball, and U Dayton Basketball!
levittator31
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 288
Joined: 15 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bethesda, Maryland

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:13 am

levittator31 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Am I the only one who can really care less about this? And I'm a UCLA fan.

I find it funny that everyone else in college is allowed to make money by using the skills they possess but the athletes can't. These guys get a job for more than min wage and they are blamed for being on the take. What are you just expected to be poor through college? I guess I don't get it.

The only downside I see to allowing these guys make money is some universities would be like the Yankees.

To me this is just as bad as recruting guys with no intention of graduating them like OSU.

These athletes should be able to make something but it should be capped.


CHEAP SHOT ALERT! :-# In fact, OSU has 36 varsity sports teams, and almost every member of every team except men's basketball and football graduates. Even on the football and basketball teams, those that don't graduate often do so because they choose to go pro. That actually hurts the college, why would you want a talented athlete to leave early? :-? :-?


Yes, that was a cheap shot - but your rebut is weak. Other members of other sports graduate because there is no future in the sport. They are true STUDENT-athletes instead of the other way around. They should have the same grad rate as a non-athlete student.

A better rebut would be - what Div 1A school DOESN'T recruit the best possible players they can? Sure, each school has different academic requirements, but then they generally have programs of varying difficulties as well. Just because you graduate someone doesn't mean they learned anything. It is just as easy to accuse a school of rubber stamping their athletes through school as it is to say the school doesn't graduate them.

I get tired of the school bickering. All athletic programs suffer from the same problems. It is an NCAA problem...not a school specific problem. I'm sure some schools are better than other in dealing with it, but since all the naughty stuff is done in secret, we only know what gets outed. None of us are in a position to accuse one school of being worse than another.
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Previous

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 20:02 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact