Genarlow Wilson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Genarlow Wilson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Genarlow Wilson

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 am

Here is a story I found very interesting and very sad at the same time. It illustrates some of the problems with our justice system today and the effects it had on a talented young football player whos life was derailed by the interpretation of law.

ESPN - Genarlow Wilson
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:01 pm

I disagree with the idea that this guy did nothing wrong.

In essense, the party he held got a girl drunk and high. Then he took advantage.

Sexual acts with someone who does not have the ability to give consent, whether because of youth, intoxication, or otherwise, is automatic rape under the law. Even if the intoxication of the victim is self inflicted.

And it doesn't matter who initiated the sexual contact under the law either.

Just my perspective I guess, and I'm normally a softy for cases that pop up like this (dang liberal bias).
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:10 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:I disagree with the idea that this guy did nothing wrong.

In essense, the party he held got a girl drunk and high. Then he took advantage.

Sexual acts with someone who does not have the ability to give consent, whether because of youth, intoxication, or otherwise, is automatic rape under the law. Even if the intoxication of the victim is self inflicted.

Just my perspective I guess, and I'm normally a softy for cases that pop up like this (dang liberal bias).

I read the whole story and it's obvious that ESPN was biased towards this cause. However, if the facts stated in that article are correct then there is no way he should spend 10 freakin years in prison for having a drunk girl, whom was only 2 years younger, and was willing to do stuff with him at that time. That is not child molestation, IMO. Was it illegal? Yes. 10 years worth illlegal? Hell no!
Last edited by J2thez929 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gnu314 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:29 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:I disagree with the idea that this guy did nothing wrong.

Also while you're generally correct, if I read the story correct the girl on the stand stated that she consented to the act and there was no indication that her ability to consent was impared.

Further, the entire sentencing revolves around the fact that the statute was outdated. The statute had a so called "romeo and juliet" provision for age gap when the individual is under the age of consent for vaginal sex but not oral sex. The statute was amended after the case was handed down but it can't be applied retroactively.

The DA can suspend his sentence, reduce it, or dismiss it entirely at any time but he has refused to do so.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm sorry, but that is just rediculous.

10 years is completely and utterly rediculous for this situation. The child molestation charges on him are complete BS.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:50 pm

When i was taken criminology classes at UF we had a the head of the Sexual Criminal division come in and talk. He told us s atory about a kid who was 18 and his g/f was 16 and he lived with the g/f and the mom.One day mom gets mad and files statutory rape charges against the guy. He is convicted and goes to jail for 5 years. gets out and marries thiis girl and they have a kid, but he can't pick her up from school now b/c he is a sexual offender and not allowed near schools, parks etc.

How fair is that one
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:17 pm

While I'll agree that Wilson isn't blameless in the matter 10 years (with no possibility of parole) for "Aggravated Child Molestation" is so far beyond overkill that it's staggering. Plus he gets to wear that "sex offender" label for the rest of his life.

If that DA gave a d**n about justice as opposed to politics he'd make this right.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:19 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:While I'll agree that Wilson isn't blameless in the matter 10 years (with no possibility of parole) for "Aggravated Child Molestation" is so far beyond overkill that it's staggering. Plus he gets to wear that "sex offender" label for the rest of his life.

If that DA gave a d**n about justice as opposed to politics he'd make this right.

Most don't, ask Nifong
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:51 pm

Sounds similar to a situation at our school recently as well, (Both Juniors) The boy had previously had a sex offender record within school, because he pushed another kids hand into a teachers... butt, and then he got some girl S**t faced before a basketball game, and put something in her drink, then, did some things with her, then at the game (both watching) she stumbles to the bathroom, and slips up before she gets there and face plants it in the hallway, she goes to the hospital, she claims she didn't concent, they check her out, find some...man juice...he gets 5 years in Juvie/Jail (Juvie till he's 18 then Jail).
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:08 pm

Just a thought here....

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that a person can claim that they didn't know what they were doing while drunk when they had sex, and therefore they were raped, but if a person gets behind the wheel while drunk he or she is fully liable for their own actions?

Does intoxication relieve you of responsibility for your own actions or not?

Seems like a double standard to me....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk