Genarlow Wilson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Genarlow Wilson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:10 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Just a thought here....

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that a person can claim that they didn't know what they were doing while drunk when they had sex, and therefore they were raped, but if a person gets behind the wheel while drunk he or she is fully liable for their own actions?

Does intoxication relieve you of responsibility for your own actions or not?

Seems like a double standard to me....


Interesting point, Plindsey. :-?
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Just a thought here....

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that a person can claim that they didn't know what they were doing while drunk when they had sex, and therefore they were raped, but if a person gets behind the wheel while drunk he or she is fully liable for their own actions?

Does intoxication relieve you of responsibility for your own actions or not?

Seems like a double standard to me....


The law considers both to be "No intent" crimes.

If you get behind the wheel drunk, regardless of whether you meant to or not, you are on the hook.

Same with underage or drunk sex. If you have sex with someone who is underage or under the influence, regardless of whether you knew they were or not, you are on the hook.
Image
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6209
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On my Ipod Touch

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:23 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Just a thought here....

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that a person can claim that they didn't know what they were doing while drunk when they had sex, and therefore they were raped, but if a person gets behind the wheel while drunk he or she is fully liable for their own actions?

Does intoxication relieve you of responsibility for your own actions or not?

Seems like a double standard to me....


The law considers both to be "No intent" crimes.

If you get behind the wheel drunk, regardless of whether you meant to or not, you are on the hook.

Same with underage or drunk sex. If you have sex with someone who is underage or under the influence, regardless of whether you knew they were or not, you are on the hook.


In the sex scenario Plindsey is talking about the GIRL'S culpability, not the guy's. So the guy gets drunk and has sex with the girl, it's rape. The girl gets drunk and they guy has sex with her, it's rape. If both are drunk, it's rape.

The guy can't seem to win there.

If the drunk behind the wheel is responsible for his actions, why isn't the drunk girl? That's what Plinds is saying.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:25 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Just a thought here....

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that a person can claim that they didn't know what they were doing while drunk when they had sex, and therefore they were raped, but if a person gets behind the wheel while drunk he or she is fully liable for their own actions?

Does intoxication relieve you of responsibility for your own actions or not?

Seems like a double standard to me....


The law considers both to be "No intent" crimes.

If you get behind the wheel drunk, regardless of whether you meant to or not, you are on the hook.

Same with underage or drunk sex. If you have sex with someone who is underage or under the influence, regardless of whether you knew they were or not, you are on the hook.


Wait a second... I'm talking about from the point of view of the drinker...

If a cop pulls you over drunk and says, "What the hell are you doing driving?"

And you respond, "I don't know... I'm drunk and didn't know what I was doing when I got in the car."

The cop is going to say, "Too bad. We don't care if you knew what you were doing or not. Intoxication does not relieve you of responsibility for you own behavior. You're under arrest."

Now, if that same driver happens to be a woman, but instead of driving home, she decides to stay at the party and bang a frat boy, and the next morning she gets up and calls the police to report a rape, the cop is going to show up at the frat house and say, "Mr. Frat Boy, we don't really care if she hopped into your bed, grabbed your package, and begged for it. She was drunk, and is therefore NOT responsible for her own behavior."

How does that work? It seems to me that in a legal system based on precedent, if we're going to apply the principle that a drunk person IS responsible for their own actions with regards to driving, that same person is ALSO responsible for their own actions with regards to sex.
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Just a thought here....

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that a person can claim that they didn't know what they were doing while drunk when they had sex, and therefore they were raped, but if a person gets behind the wheel while drunk he or she is fully liable for their own actions?

Does intoxication relieve you of responsibility for your own actions or not?

Seems like a double standard to me....


The law considers both to be "No intent" crimes.

If you get behind the wheel drunk, regardless of whether you meant to or not, you are on the hook.

Same with underage or drunk sex. If you have sex with someone who is underage or under the influence, regardless of whether you knew they were or not, you are on the hook.


Wait a second... I'm talking about from the point of view of the drinker...

If a cop pulls you over drunk and says, "What the hell are you doing driving?"

And you respond, "I don't know... I'm drunk and didn't know what I was doing when I got in the car."

The cop is going to say, "Too bad. We don't care if you knew what you were doing or not. Intoxication does not relieve you of responsibility for you own behavior. You're under arrest."

Now, if that same driver happens to be a woman, but instead of driving home, she decides to stay at the party and bang a frat boy, and the next morning she gets up and calls the police to report a rape, the cop is going to show up at the frat house and say, "Mr. Frat Boy, we don't really care if she hopped into your bed, grabbed your package, and begged for it. She was drunk, and is therefore NOT responsible for her own behavior."

How does that work? It seems to me that in a legal system based on precedent, if we're going to apply the principle that a drunk person IS responsible for their own actions with regards to driving, that same person is ALSO responsible for their own actions with regards to sex.


It goes to part of her culpability. It would be a fact that is entered and decided on by the Jury.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 pm

Excellent points Plindsey! That definately is a double-standard to me. The only explination, IMO, is that it takes two tango but only one to drivo. In normal words, the girl could be drunk but sex involves another people so the issue gets more complicated as two people are involved in the issue. As opposed to the girl being drunk and driving. This only involves her, her car, and her actions so therefore she is held soley responsible.
Last edited by J2thez929 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8041
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: C-Town, OH - Dawg Bone Country

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Just a thought here....

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that a person can claim that they didn't know what they were doing while drunk when they had sex, and therefore they were raped, but if a person gets behind the wheel while drunk he or she is fully liable for their own actions?

Does intoxication relieve you of responsibility for your own actions or not?

Seems like a double standard to me....


The law considers both to be "No intent" crimes.

If you get behind the wheel drunk, regardless of whether you meant to or not, you are on the hook.

Same with underage or drunk sex. If you have sex with someone who is underage or under the influence, regardless of whether you knew they were or not, you are on the hook.


Wait a second... I'm talking about from the point of view of the drinker...

If a cop pulls you over drunk and says, "What the hell are you doing driving?"

And you respond, "I don't know... I'm drunk and didn't know what I was doing when I got in the car."

The cop is going to say, "Too bad. We don't care if you knew what you were doing or not. Intoxication does not relieve you of responsibility for you own behavior. You're under arrest."

Now, if that same driver happens to be a woman, but instead of driving home, she decides to stay at the party and bang a frat boy, and the next morning she gets up and calls the police to report a rape, the cop is going to show up at the frat house and say, "Mr. Frat Boy, we don't really care if she hopped into your bed, grabbed your package, and begged for it. She was drunk, and is therefore NOT responsible for her own behavior."

How does that work? It seems to me that in a legal system based on precedent, if we're going to apply the principle that a drunk person IS responsible for their own actions with regards to driving, that same person is ALSO responsible for their own actions with regards to sex.


It goes to part of her culpability. It would be a fact that is entered and decided on by the Jury.


While I know this is true, the fact is that the situations would be weighed very differently because the law presents them differently. In a rape case, the woman’s intoxication is counted against the rapist, since she is clearly not in a frame of mind to make clear decisions. In the drunk driving case it would count against the driver, because they clearly shouldn’t have made the choice to drink so much. That’s the double standard.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby Kilroy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:02 pm

So if both parties are intoxicated does the "rape" go both ways? :-?

If , for example, Drunken Girl A Instigates a sexual encounter with Drunken Guy B, how the h**l is B in any way, shape, or form guilty of rape?

If everyone guilty of the drunken hook-up is a "rapist" then we're gonna need a lot more jail cells.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Getting back on topic, here, I have to wonder, with regards to this case, if the woman in question was white... I mean, this is Georgia we're talking about... As detestable as it is, having grown up just a few miles outside of Georgia, and having just moved from Alabama, I can attest to the fact that the courts in that part of the country are still much harsher on black men having sex with underage white women than white men having sex with the same... I'd be willing to bet the accuser in this case was white, which would explain the severity of the punishment...
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:27 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:If , for example, Drunken Girl A Instigates a sexual encounter with Drunken Guy B, how the h**l is B in any way, shape, or form guilty of rape?


I don't know, but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of young men that are either convicted or plead guilty to criminal charges because of that exact situation every year.
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 8:36 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact