The Ultimate Balancing Act, Size vs Quality - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

The Ultimate Balancing Act, Size vs Quality

Moderators: deluxe_247, Football Moderators

The Ultimate Balancing Act, Size vs Quality

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:20 pm

As all the artists i'm sure are well aware we have a 12kb limit to work with when creating our sigs. I do everything I can to preserve the integrity of the sig while still keeping it under 12kbs. Sometime this can be a tough task...

For this reason I thought I'd start a thread where artists can share their tricks for keeping high image quality while still keeping the sig size down.

Some simple (maybe obvious) things I do:

-Use slight blurring to disguise pixelation
-Try not to overload the sig with images
-Use the quality bar when saving as opposed to just the Low, Medium, High, Very High quality box
-Delete all unneeded layers (not sure if this helps just something I do)

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Ultimate Balancing Act, Size vs Quality

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:55 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:As all the artists i'm sure are well aware we have a 12kb limit to work with when creating our sigs. I do everything I can to preserve the integrity of the sig while still keeping it under 12kbs. Sometime this can be a tough task...

For this reason I thought I'd start a thread where artists can share their tricks for keeping high image quality while still keeping the sig size down.

Some simple (maybe obvious) things I do:

-Use slight blurring to disguise pixelation
-Try not to overload the sig with images
-Use the quality bar when saving as opposed to just the Low, Medium, High, Very High quality box
-Delete all unneeded layers (not sure if this helps just something I do)

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yeah, really in my experiences, there's not too much you can do. I mean, you have posted the more obvious things. If you REALLY want a nice looking cafe quality sig, try to use things without definite edges. Sometimes (if it is your style) you can use a lot of lighting effects in front of your renders and kind of cover some stuff up. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Idahofan1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:16 pm

ugh, the minimums...... Only thing i do, is if im using a stock photo, i delete what isnt going to be in the sig. Not sure if it helps, but it may.

Anyone know if flattening the layers will lower the quality?
Idahofan1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:44 pm

Idahofan1 wrote:ugh, the minimums...... Only thing i do, is if im using a stock photo, i delete what isnt going to be in the sig. Not sure if it helps, but it may.

Anyone know if flattening the layers will lower the quality?

When you save an image as a .jpg file, it automatically flattens all of the layers AND deletes all parts of the image that aren't actually in the sig. So neither of those will lower the sig size. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests