Baseball vs. Football. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Baseball vs. Football.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:09 am

I wasn't knocking baseball. It just isn't as exciting to watch. I woulf rather see a guy get knocked on his butt, that a guy hit the ball a long ways. Don't get me wrong, I like baseball, but the season gets too boring. I lose it half way through the year, and then pick it up in the play-offs. But now I could care less, the World Series is the always buy the penant Yankees vs they lucky shouldn't have won Marlins. I am not even going to watch.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:25 am

This is in fact, the greatest Carlin routine of all time... although, he has another thing on sports generally, where he gives suggestions on how to make the game better... most of which I agree with...

For baseball....

"Some of these games just need to be sped up... Like baseball, you know how you could speed up baseball? Everyone gets one pitch, F U, you're out. Another rule - every time the pitcher hits the batter with the ball, the batter is out. You hit 27 guys in a row, you've got yourself a perfect game my friend. You get two accurate pitchers in there, you could be out of that ballpark in 15 minutes, and get home to watch football on tv, where'd you'd see some serious damned injuries. Another way to make baseball more interesting, to have a series of random landmines in the outfield. 'There's Johnson settling under the ball **BOOOM** - holy (expletive)!"

Let me note, I'm a huge baseball fan too... but now that the season is officially over (Yankees vs. Marlins world series is equivalent to the season being over)... its football time... and what a glorious time it is...

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby KnightWhoSaysNi » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:53 am

I used to love baseball - I'm something of a purist who appreciates a pitching duel and games with scores of 2-1 and 1-0. Over time the pitcher's mound was lowered (15" to 10") the outfield fences were moved in (ever watch the slugfest in Coors Field?), the strike zone shrank, hitters began to act like crybabies when pitchers threw inside, and the Designated Hitter was added in the AL. There really isn't much left in the way of strategy in baseball nowadays other than packing (buying) your lineup with steroid-using cokeheads and trying to hit more home runs than the other team ...

So I've begun to watch baseball less and football more ...

Ni

KwsN
KnightWhoSaysNi Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:03 am

culboarder wrote:im not saying there arent exciting games.... the only ones worth watching in my opinion are postseason games later in the series.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:22 am

lol if you haven't heard that Carlin bit it needs to be audible...his cadence and style really bring something to it.

Baseball has and deserves it's place in America.

Should check out the 1968 Detroit Tigers special on HBO if you can. Perfect example.

Football just can't enamor it's fans the way baseball can.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:26 am

maybe i'm one of a kind but i've done fantasy football and fantasy baseball and i prefer baseball. i don't like most sports with a net (basketball, soccer, lacrosse, ect.) because running back and forth on a field/court for 2 hours just isn't very interesting. baseball is different, its unique. where else can you get a sport with thousands of different scenerios where players actually have to think. football is a sport where the bigger, faster, stronger guy has an advantage and the brain is rarely used. thats just my opinion, i still like/watch football (go seahawks!) but baseball is just more interesting to me.
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:46 am

mugrila wrote:baseball is different, its unique. where else can you get a sport with thousands of different scenerios where players actually have to think.

The players have to definately think more in baseball than they do in football (with the exception of QB). Most people have no idea how mental hitting and pitching are. They just watch a guy throw the ball and another guy swing a bat. If that was my extent of the knowledge of the game, I probably wouldn't like it either.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby blueonion » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:57 am

[quote="awwchrist"]

Baseball has and deserves it's place in America.

[/quote]

Although I agree with the aforementioned statement, I want to clarify that the 'place' baseball deserves is a place on the back burner.

I personally think baseball, as a game is truly great. But MLB is a joke and the product they put out is really an insult to me as a fan.

Really, there are only two reasons to reason a person would enjoy baseball

1 They have played the game and appreciate the game for what it is.
2 They are a Yankees fan.

Aside from those two aspects, why would anybody enjoy watching baseball? Here are my reasons I have stopped watching baseball.

1 MLB expects me, as a fan of the Twins, to emotionally invest myself in a team that is not going to be given a level playing field to compete on. Look at the payroll discrepencies. On top of that, they want me to get emotionally attached to players that we will eventually not be able to afford. I find this disrespectful to me as a fan and I will not tolerate.

2 Secondly, MLB is a regional sport. Unless you live in your team's respective market, following your team is nearly impossible. LA Dodger fans on the east coast? Philly fans on the west coast? It is not going to happen unless you fork over money for Direct TV and Direct TV will not refund your money if the players strike (again).

It is foolish for someone to still consider baseball "America's Pasttime" when it dominates so few markets. I think the only markets where baseball is #1 is New York and Boston. And if one looks at the country from the Appalachians to the Rocky Mountains, what markets really care about baseball? St. Louis and Chicago? St. Louis and Chicago!

Can somebody offer me any reason I should emotionally invest myself in MLB team other than the Yankees?

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby LBJackal » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:40 am

M_Zimm wrote:the World Series is the always buy the penant Yankees vs they lucky shouldn't have won Marlins. I am not even going to watch.

The Marlins aren't that bad. Actually, I'd say they're pretty good. They have the offense: Pierre and Castillo to get on base and steal, and I-Rod, Lee, Cabrera, and Lowell to hit them home. They also have good pitching: Josh Beckett, Mark Redman, Brad Penny (I wouldn't even consider mentioning Willis....), with Looper and Urbina, two good closers, to finish things off. They were considered an underdog, but IMO they got there with skill, not luck. Imagine if they had their ace, A.J. Burnett. They would have a legit chance at another World Series Championship.

And remind me how many playoff series the Marlins have lost? Oh that's right, none! It's kind of a moot point since they've only been into the playoffs twice, but it is still kinda weird. Two playoff appeareances, soon to be two championships! GO FISH!
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Dude » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:36 pm

I will end this argument promptly...

we're really arguing between the best two sports out there right now... (except maybe College Basketball)... but hey, at least neither football nor baseball are hockey, eh?!

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk