Airline Passenger Bill of Rights - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Airline Passenger Bill of Rights

Moderator: Football Moderators

Airline Passenger Bill of Rights

Postby dgan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:07 am

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/16533365.htm

Angry passengers pitch airline changes
By TREBOR BANSTETTER
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Passengers on an American Airlines flight that was stuck on the tarmac in Austin for nearly 10 hours last month are pushing for a national Passengers Bill of Rights to protect traveling consumers.

The proposal would require airlines to return passengers to terminal gates after three hours on the tarmac. It would also impose penalties on airlines for losing baggage and bumping passengers, and create a consumer committee to review and investigate complaints.

The measure doesn't yet have a backer in Congress. But it comes as lawmakers are increasing their scrutiny of the industry, with a hearing scheduled for today before the Senate Commerce Committee on the impact of airline mergers and consolidation.

Heavy passenger loads during the past year have accompanied increased delays and complaints, according to the U.S. Transportation Department.

"Enough is enough," said Kate Hanni, a Napa, Calif., resident who was stuck with her husband on American Flight 1348 in Austin for nearly 10 hours Dec. 29 during a trip from San Francisco to Mobile, Ala. Her flight was supposed to land at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport for a connection, but heavy thunderstorms diverted the plane to Austin.

"Never again should anyone be left in a plane without information, without food, with toxic air, overflowing toilets, no remuneration and no explanation," she said.

Officials with Fort Worth-based American have apologized to passengers for the long delays and issued vouchers worth up to $500. But they also point out that the events that day were because of an unusual storm in North Texas coupled with the fact that airplanes were flying with full loads on a holiday weekend.

"The thunderstorm event of Dec. 29, 2006, that spread almost the entire length of Texas was one of the most unusual weather circumstances we've seen in 20 years," said Tim Wagner, a spokesman. More than 80 flights were diverted from D/FW that day.

Hanni and her husband recruited 13 other passengers to sign onto the effort. They've written to Commerce Committee Chairman Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, with a draft proposal for the law and have launched an Internet blog at http://www.strandedpassengers.blogspot.com.

Hanni hasn't ruled out filing a lawsuit against American but said it would be a last resort.

"If the only way to send a message to the airlines is to pursue it from that angle, then absolutely," she said during a conference call with reporters Tuesday.

Stories of the long delays have been featured in national news media, including The Wall Street Journal and NBC Nightly News, in recent weeks. Passengers say they ran out of food, toilets overflowed and some lacked access to medication while stranded on the tarmac.

Hanni called the conditions "subhuman."

"I was fighting off a panic attack the entire time," said Mark Vail of Madera, Calif. "I was counting raindrops in the window, doing anything to try to distract myself."

All the while, he said, "I kept seeing Southwest Airlines flights taking off and landing."

American officials say they were doing their best to cope with an extraordinary spate of bad weather at the carrier's largest hub.

Unlike most storms that quickly sweep over D/FW Airport from the west, the Dec. 29 tempest moved north from the southwest and hung over the airport for hours, Wagner said. Airline officials were hoping that the storm would lift so diverted planes could fly to D/FW and passengers could get to connecting flights.

If the airline had brought the plane into a gate in Austin early, it would have immediately been a canceled flight, he said. It then would have been nearly impossible to get the passengers onto later flights because most airplanes were already full.

"People would have been stranded in Austin for two or three days, maybe in a hotel room or maybe there at the airport, waiting for a flight," he said. "That's what we were trying to avoid."

Still, Wagner said that "the extremity of their experience was a mistake, and we've apologized for that." He said the airline has tweaked some policies and re-emphasized others in an attempt to avoid repeating the situation.

Some of the affected passengers said the airline responded only after the story was featured in the national press. And they say they haven't seen any indication that American is working to prevent future problems.

"There hasn't been any attempt to contact us; they haven't said anything," said Andy Welch of Lynn Creek, Mo., who was also on Flight 1348. "It infuriates me. How can anyone think they can run a business this way?"

An attempt was made in 2000 to pass a similar slate of protections for traveling consumers, and the idea was revived in 2002. Neither attempt resulted in a law being passed.

This time, however, Hanni is hopeful that the issue will have traction in Washington, D.C., particularly as lawmakers consider the impact that mergers could have on the industry.

"I believe we're reached the tipping point," she said. "The only thing that will change this is action from our elected officials."

PASSENGERS BILL OF RIGHTS

A group of travelers who were stranded on the tarmac for up to 10 hours last month have proposed a slate of protections for travelers. Their recommendations include:

Establishing procedures for airlines to return passengers to a terminal gate after three hours on the tarmac.

Requiring airlines to respond to complaints within 24 hours and resolve them within two weeks.

Forcing airlines to publish a list of chronically delayed flights online.

Compensation for bumped passengers or passengers whose flights are delayed by more than 12 hours at 150 percent of the ticket price.

Compensation for passengers whose baggage is lost or mishandled.

Creation of a Passenger Review Committee made up of nonairline consumers to review and investigate complaints.

I'm sure there is a better article covering this story, but this is the best one I found.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:26 am

It's a bit easier than lobbying Congress for this kind of "Bill of Rights." Simply stop using those airlines. If you have a bad experience don't fly with them any more. Pretty simple.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:48 am

Another "I'm better than everyone else" scenario. It was a holiday weekend....it was horrible weather....get over it. Yeah, it would suck to be stuck on a plane that long but you know what you should know that with that many people traveling it could happen. Where is the common sense bill of rights? Every little thing that goes wrong people have to jump all over it and say that there should be changes so it doesn't happen again. I would love to follow these people around at work and point out every time they waste a minute doing something they shouldn't (costing their employers money) or forget something causing someone to wait longer than they should. It is getting ridiculous.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:10 am

dream_017 wrote:Another "I'm better than everyone else" scenario. It was a holiday weekend....it was horrible weather....get over it. Yeah, it would suck to be stuck on a plane that long but you know what you should know that with that many people traveling it could happen. Where is the common sense bill of rights? Every little thing that goes wrong people have to jump all over it and say that there should be changes so it doesn't happen again. I would love to follow these people around at work and point out every time they waste a minute doing something they shouldn't (costing their employers money) or forget something causing someone to wait longer than they should. It is getting ridiculous.

Normally I'd agree with you, and I'm not sure a passenger bill of rights is the right way to go, but this particular situation was pretty extreme. They kept the plane on the tarmac for 10 hours, the toilets overflowed and the plane reeked of human waste. Finally the pilot disregarded the tower's instructions and pulled into a gate so people could get off. At some point I think you have to say it is reasonable to let people get off the plane.

The airline does look like it tried to make amends though and this Ms. Hanni in the article sounds a little hysterical.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:21 am

Goatwhacker wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Another "I'm better than everyone else" scenario. It was a holiday weekend....it was horrible weather....get over it. Yeah, it would suck to be stuck on a plane that long but you know what you should know that with that many people traveling it could happen. Where is the common sense bill of rights? Every little thing that goes wrong people have to jump all over it and say that there should be changes so it doesn't happen again. I would love to follow these people around at work and point out every time they waste a minute doing something they shouldn't (costing their employers money) or forget something causing someone to wait longer than they should. It is getting ridiculous.

Normally I'd agree with you, and I'm not sure a passenger bill of rights is the right way to go, but this particular situation was pretty extreme. They kept the plane on the tarmac for 10 hours, the toilets overflowed and the plane reeked of human waste. Finally the pilot disregarded the tower's instructions and pulled into a gate so people could get off. At some point I think you have to say it is reasonable to let people get off the plane.

The airline does look like it tried to make amends though and this Ms. Hanni in the article sounds a little hysterical.

Yeah, 10 hours on the tarmac IS too long. I mean, that is overkill. You have to at least let them back into the airport terminal for food, etc. BUT the airline did give them $500 vouchers, correct? I mean, that HAS to be over the cost of that flight. I wouldn't be complaining too much. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:36 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Goatwhacker wrote:

Yeah, 10 hours on the tarmac IS too long. I mean, that is overkill. You have to at least let them back into the airport terminal for food, etc. BUT the airline did give them $500 vouchers, correct? I mean, that HAS to be over the cost of that flight. I wouldn't be complaining too much. :-/

I agree with you guys...10 hours is too long and I would probably be pissed at the time, but the airline did give vouchers. The other thing is we don't know everything behind the scenes, and that is what iritates me most about these stories. Being the holiday, maybe the terminal was too crowded to get the passengers off the plane. It was re-directed from another airport because of weather, so they had to find a spot to get the people off -- again with the already crowded flight schedule. If the terminal is already crowded, where are they going to put 200-300 more people? We have to look at the big picture sometimes, not just that there are people on a plane that they are not letting off, generally there is a reason. Sometimes, yes, it is a legitimate problem that people have and are not compensated somehow, but I think people are too eager to make a name for themselves and try to hit it big.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:54 pm

(I've never flown first class so maybe its a 180 degree difference than my general experiences in coach.)
I've always been amazed that the airline industry gets away with probably the worst customer service of any American industry. When they are 'in the wrong' (outside of a crash) the compensation is generally poor compared to the incovenience caused by the mistake. And trying to 'prove' thats its the airline's fault is many times a bigger headache than the actual problem. Taking into acccount how often companies are going bankrupt, out of business, have labor disputes, and have general complaints, I dont think that theres a worse run industry across the board. I dont know if what these people are doing is the correct course of action or not, but it would be nice if some group or govt could put together a decent business model for the industry.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Why don't they just call it a runway? I had to look up what tarmac meant. :-B
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:17 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Why don't they just call it a runway? I had to look up what tarmac meant. :-B

Now you can be one of us cool guys and throw around terms like tarmac. :-D
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:20 am

Goatwhacker wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Why don't they just call it a runway? I had to look up what tarmac meant. :-B

Now you can be one of us cool guys and throw around terms like tarmac. :-D

I'll show you tarmac!! :-° ;-7

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to General Talk