Replacing my hard drive - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Replacing my hard drive

Moderator: Football Moderators

Replacing my hard drive

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:52 pm

Alright I need some more computer help from those of you who know what you're talking about :-b ;-D I recieved this free CPU because the owner bought a new computer as this one is borken. When I turned it on, I got this error message at the BIOS scan:
Memory write/read failure at 030F1C0C, read 0FE0CF00, expecting FE00FEO
Decreasing memory available.

This computer is a Dell Optiplex GX150. I'm thinking it's a problem with the hard drive. So my questions are is it the hard drive and how difficult/expensive is it to replace the hard drive?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Replacing my hard drive

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:20 pm

sox 06 wrote:Alright I need some more computer help from those of you who know what you're talking about :-b ;-D I recieved this free CPU because the owner bought a new computer as this one is borken. When I turned it on, I got this error message at the BIOS scan:

This computer is a Dell Optiplex GX150. I'm thinking it's a problem with the hard drive. So my questions are is it the hard drive and how difficult/expensive is it to replace the hard drive?

Well based on the error, it sounds like a memory issue, not a hard drive issue. Might wanna try looking into cleaning or replace your mem sticks first.
Also try this http://www.memtest86.com/
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:22 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:Alright I need some more computer help from those of you who know what you're talking about :-b ;-D I recieved this free CPU because the owner bought a new computer as this one is borken. When I turned it on, I got this error message at the BIOS scan:

Well based on the error, it sounds like a memory issue, not a hard drive issue. Might wanna try looking into cleaning or replace your mem sticks first.
Also try this http://www.memtest86.com/

I should also add that the computer makes a series of beeps as it is booting up, don't know if this factors into the diagnosis. :-?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Hard drive is pretty easy to replace.

Quick question though, do you need to install a new OS too or is this hard drive just for backup?

And that error message looks more like a RAM problem, not hard drive. You may want to check and make sure your RAM cards are seated properly. Nothing loose or something. If that fixes it, you won't have to replace the hard drive.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:26 pm

Better yet, use this to test your RAM. It should let you do one stick at a time to find out which one, if not both, is bad

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Last edited by J2thez929 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:27 pm

sox 06 wrote:I should also add that the computer makes a series of beeps as it is booting up, don't know if this factors into the diagnosis. :-?

The beeping is a diagnostic indicator that could point us on the way to the solution. It's called the POST test. I don't know how Dell mobos go through that. Maybe you can tell us the specific order of the beeping.

You don't have the manual for that computer, do you? Because it may have the diagnostic chart for the POST test in there somewhere, so you can understand what the beeps mean.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:50 pm

Woops, my bad. I haven't turned it on for a while, it doen't beep :*) But on a side note, I have another old CPU and it's a Hewlett Packard Pavilion XE763. Could I strip that for some possible spare parts?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:05 pm

sox 06 wrote:Woops, my bad. I haven't turned it on for a while, it doen't beep :*) But on a side note, I have another old CPU and it's a Hewlett Packard Pavilion XE763. Could I strip that for some possible spare parts?

Possibly. You have to make sure the Ram in the HP is the same type as the Dell.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:17 pm

Unlike January 8th, I think J2thez is right here (sorry, had to take the shot). That looks like a RAM issue, not hard drive.

To answer your original question about cost/replacement though, hard drives are really really cheap nowadays and quite easy to replace.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:00 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Unlike January 8th, I think J2thez is right here (sorry, had to take the shot)

Haha! Its all good! I give it out so I definately can take it ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk