Replacing my hard drive - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Replacing my hard drive

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:08 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Unlike January 8th, I think J2thez is right here (sorry, had to take the shot). That looks like a RAM issue, not hard drive.

To answer your original question about cost/replacement though, hard drives are really really cheap nowadays and quite easy to replace.

How would I go by fixing the RAM problem?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:12 pm

J2thez929 wrote:Better yet, use this to test your RAM. It should let you do one stick at a time to find out which one, if not both, is bad

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Gotta love that we give websites to a guy who has a broken computer!!!!!! ;-)

Anyway, its more than likely NOT the hard drive. It is more than likely your RAM.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:05 pm

sox 06 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Unlike January 8th, I think J2thez is right here (sorry, had to take the shot). That looks like a RAM issue, not hard drive.

To answer your original question about cost/replacement though, hard drives are really really cheap nowadays and quite easy to replace.

How would I go by fixing the RAM problem?

Try one stick of RAM at a time until you get to the one that makes the problem crop up.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:07 am

BGbootha wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:Better yet, use this to test your RAM. It should let you do one stick at a time to find out which one, if not both, is bad

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Gotta love that we give websites to a guy who has a broken computer!!!!!! ;-)

Anyway, its more than likely NOT the hard drive. It is more than likely your RAM.

Well obviously he wouldnt use that PC to download the RAM tester just the same way he is using another pc to post at the cafe ;-)

As for your question - You can download that product from another PC and burn it to a disk. Then put the disk in your bad PC, reboot, and run the tester. If you don't want to do the tester then you are gonna have to find out what memory type your PC takes. You can find out exactly at crucial.com, then you have to open up your PC and actually replace those memory sticks with working ones.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk