Madden 07 defenses and strategies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Madden 07 defenses and strategies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Madden 07 defenses and strategies

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:17 pm

I often play my roomate in Madden 07 (X-Box). The thing is that he can just pick apart my defense every single time. He usually just has one of his tight ends or wideouts (or both) go right to the sideline on a quick pass and he makes it every single time. What defense can prevent someone from abusing the sideline? Also, whats the best defense for preventing the run? (I'm guessing 4-3 but what about Cover 2?)

Basically I'm looking for a defense that will take away all of the short passes and runs. I'm not well schooled in football defenses so any help is appreciated. ;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RWLongy4 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:37 pm

cover 2 works well, the thing about madden is there is no one defense that will take away his small ball. Mix it up a bunch, blitz a bunch.

What I find works well is playing with the safety and committing to run or pass.

Also most people tend to roll out towards the sideline they are going to throw to, take your safety and roll with them, that helps a lot in my experience.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:49 pm

Also I should probably add that I am the Steelers and he uses the Ravens.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:13 pm

Whatever you do, don't play man to man. A quick out is unstoppable with a man defense called.

I would try blitzing 8 so he has to throw it off his back foot and maybe panic and hit the wrong button. Also, try a lot of zones. Particularly ones with guys on the flats. The Cover 2 zone in Quarter and Dime work well for me.
teddy ballgame
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:53 pm

I run blitz's a lot, maybe too much :-[ :-b But the defenses that work well for me is a lot of Zone and the Cover 3 and Cover 1 plays out of the regular 3-4 defense package. I use the Pats.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby BGbootha » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:25 pm

One defense that I havae found effective is using the 3-4 playbook and then running defenses out of the 1-5-5 nickel package! obviously as it states, you are running with 5 LB and 5 DB, the added quickness can help cut down his short game a bit. It won't stop it, but it helps you get more guys there faster in order to hold him to shorter gains.....in theory.

Let me know if this works.

Also, pick you teams carefully when using this, obviously only utulizing 1 DL/DT will greatly decrease your pass rush, and possibly take key players off the field. Obviously this defense isn't a great idea with NYG, it would take Strahan and Osi off the field. Just a thought.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby confused_jake » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:25 pm

BGbootha wrote:One defense that I havae found effective is using the 3-4 playbook and then running defenses out of the 1-5-5 nickel package! obviously as it states, you are running with 5 LB and 5 DB, the added quickness can help cut down his short game a bit. It won't stop it, but it helps you get more guys there faster in order to hold him to shorter gains.....in theory.

Also, pick you teams carefully when using this, obviously only utulizing 1 DL/DT will greatly decrease your pass rush, and possibly take key players off the field. Obviously this defense isn't a great idea with NYG, it would take Strahan and Osi off the field. Just a thought.

The past week or so i've been playing around with this defense on madden 06 and i really like it. I've found that a good team to use it with is the steelers. they have good depth at linebacker and you have casey hampton playing nosegaurd. If you are looking to use this defense, the types of teams you should be looking for are ones with a lot of depth at linebacker, and a dominating nosegaurd.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:46 pm

confused_jake wrote:
BGbootha wrote:One defense that I havae found effective is using the 3-4 playbook and then running defenses out of the 1-5-5 nickel package! obviously as it states, you are running with 5 LB and 5 DB, the added quickness can help cut down his short game a bit. It won't stop it, but it helps you get more guys there faster in order to hold him to shorter gains.....in theory.

The past week or so i've been playing around with this defense on madden 06 and i really like it. I've found that a good team to use it with is the steelers. they have good depth at linebacker and you have casey hampton playing nosegaurd. If you are looking to use this defense, the types of teams you should be looking for are ones with a lot of depth at linebacker, and a dominating nosegaurd.

And thats the team I have ;-D I'm guessing its not a great run d but it could stop those quick passes to the outside.

Unfortunately, I tried using dime and nickel flats the last time we played and he abused the middle of the field. I guess I just cant win }:-) (Basically he ran Jamal Lewis up the middle for about 8 yds a carry, even if I was run blitzing. Madden is incredibly frustrating).
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby confused_jake » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:17 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
confused_jake wrote:

And thats the team I have ;-D I'm guessing its not a great run d but it could stop those quick passes to the outside.

Unfortunately, I tried using dime and nickel flats the last time we played and he abused the middle of the field. I guess I just cant win }:-) (Basically he ran Jamal Lewis up the middle for about 8 yds a carry, even if I was run blitzing. Madden is incredibly frustrating).

Its a fun defense to run if you like zone blitzes, there is a good selection of them in this playbook. You can also get a surprisingly good pass rush with it.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:12 pm

Does he never go for a bomb? If not, try blitzing the safty's and making sure you commit to the run or pass as soon as you know what's going on.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Video Games