Madden 07 defenses and strategies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Madden 07 defenses and strategies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eagles21 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:26 pm

Bumping the wideouts at the line usually takes away the short pass, but if they go deep you're screwed unless you have a safety.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:26 pm

LT Blue Colt wrote:Does he never go for a bomb? If not, try blitzing the safty's and making sure you commit to the run or pass as soon as you know what's going on.

No, its usually a quick out or HB dive.

Thanks for all of the advice ;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:42 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
LT Blue Colt wrote:Does he never go for a bomb? If not, try blitzing the safty's and making sure you commit to the run or pass as soon as you know what's going on.

No, its usually a quick out or HB dive.

Thanks for all of the advice ;-D

Good Luck beating him! ;-D
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:08 pm

I ran into a few guys online that always threw to the sidelines.

One thing to remember, you must setup good audibles in case he no-huddles you.

Somebody mentioned it, but you gotta jam his primary WR. I'd try a 3-4 (which is good vs the run) and practice sticking his TE at the line with one of your LBs.

In obvious passing situations, like 3rd and long, I like to dial up a certain defensive play. Pick Nickel defense, and the play where both LBs blitz. So you're rushing 6 on that play and the other 5 guys are covering. Now when you get to the field, line audible inwards and LB audible outwards and bring the two LBs up to the line of scrimmage. So you'll basically have 6 guys on the line all bringing the heat. I also like the bring my corners and safeties up since he won't have much time to get the pass off. Occassionaly this can get burned by a run play but someone usually always break through in on the pass rush. And it's usually one of the LBs, so the QB has at most 2 seconds to throw.

That play is Nickel formation.... and it looks like this in the playbook.....
S......X.........X
CB.X..................X
NCB............. X
LB....X.......X
DL...X...X...X...X

And then make adjustments to the line and LBs so you look like this....
S.....X..........X
CB..X.................X
NCB...............X
LB/DL.X XXXX X
--------v vv vv v

This play is pretty deadly and once you master it you can show your opponent the same look except back off into coverage. You know, bring everyone up but then drop em all back into a zone. That way your opponent is thinking he has to get rid of it quick and chucks it right into the heart of your zone coverage. ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Thanks Jim ;-D ;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:12 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the dreaded quickpass.

If you know how to run this effectivly, there isnt a way to stop it, only a way to slow it down....some of the best madden ballers in the world abuse this badly.

the number 1 thing to help stop the quickpass is BUMP!!!! everysingle down you need to bump, the worst thing anyone can do against the quickpass is not bump, i can do it for 10 yards a pop everytime a guy doesnt have his cb's in BnR.

Does he quickpass to both wr's or just his top wr?(if both disregard everything after this.) press start and goto the coaching options and put your best corner on the WR he is abusing the quickpass. If he is still abusing it like crazy, once he comes out in the play select the safety above him and press (Y + WR Icon + Right) then press (Y + right) that will put the safety in man on him and then 2nd thing align the safety in the grill of the WR, double team is almost impossible to get a true quick pass through.

If you dont want to use your safety to double, manually put the DE's in Purple zone's, when he goes to quickpass, the DE will run sideways and knock it down.

Dive's and slams are the best running plays in madden, a good way to help stop them is always pinch your Dline(White + Down)

Let me know if you need any help, if any of you other fools want a crack at me send me a friend request over xbox Live or send me a PM. Gamertag: Alkaholik22

online record: lvl 16 .... 282W - 178L
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:43 pm

If the guy is going to the sidelines mostly then audible your corners to play them outside. Also some LB or even DE help underneath wouldn't hurt either.

For quick passes bumping is pretty much your only option. There are some routes that are unbumpable though. If you think there is ever a threat of them going deep bump them and then bring safety help over the top. If your decent with the safety then you should be able to take away most of the deep stuff 1 on 1.

I find it effective to blitz alot. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this but bring blitzes when they don't expect it. Blitz on 3rd and long, stuff like that. And I don't mean rushing 4 or 5 guys, I mean bringing a lot of guys. Bring em from different angles, LBs, Safeties, even CBs, just try and mix it up. It's always good to bring everyone up to the line (fake blitz) when you blitz. Do this sometimes when you don't blitz though to change it up a bit.

Against slams and dives and that kinda stuff I usually bring everyone up to the line and likely pinch my line. Usually I'll play as a MLB or S and try and hit the hole before they get to it.

Also this may seem kinda of obvious but call good formations on D. This especially helps against the run. Don't be suddenly calling a Quarter 3 Deep when he comes out with 3 WRs cause you think he passing. Most of the quick runs (slam) are outta Singleback anyways. I find the best run stopping formations are 4-3 under and of course 46.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:52 pm

Yea like bobbing headz said, use formation correctly.

Madden 101:

4 or 5 wr's, call quarter
3 wr, call dime or nickel
2 wr's, 3-3-5 or 4-3 or 3-4 or nickel
1 wr, 4-3 over or 3-4 under
no WR's call Goaline

I dont mean do this everytime, but this is the general basics of what you should run when you see the package they come out in.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:53 pm

Yea like bobbing headz said, use formation correctly.

Madden 101:

4 or 5 wr's, call quarter
3 wr, call dime or nickel
2 wr's, 3-3-5 or 4-3 or 3-4 or nickel
1 wr, 4-3 over or 3-4 under
no WR's call Goaline

I dont mean do this everytime, but this is the general basics of what you should run when you see the package they come out in.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:30 pm

You don't even have to match up everyone. Say I'm playing someone who runs a lot. Even if he comes out in 4 WR I might only come in nickel. Generally you want to come out with the same amount or less CBs than WRs. Never more (The exception would be 3rd and long or something where they almost have to pass). This allows for more flexibility with blitzing and makes it easier to stop the run.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games