Squirrel - the other white meat - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Squirrel - the other white meat

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:43 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Yeah, I've had beaver. A few others that I can remember off the top of my head: muskrat, mountain lion, rattlesnake, cow brain, tongue, and stomach, partially incubate eggs. Some that some people think are gross, but are really pretty normal: jellyfish, pickled rock crab, ray, fish eye soup, goat, hog's head cheese, blood pudding.

I had a chance to try tongue once and declined. Rocky Mountain oysters? Never had them myself, but living on the farm we had plenty of people around us who had. Only thing on your list I've actually had was rattlesnake. Had it when I was younger at my aunt's place near Vegas. Can't remember much about the taste.

I haven't had most of those on your list, but I have had calf fries. They are quite tasty actually. :-b

Only thing I had on the list is frog legs. I enjoyed them but haven't had them for a while
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm

I've got no qualms about trying anything at least once. As long as whatever I'm eating isn't going to poison me or anything, I'm game enough to eat it. The only type of animal that kinda gets me hesitant though, is seafood. Any other land-based animal, I'll pop into my mouth.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:08 pm

2 times a week!? What am I supposed to eat the other 5 days? :-b
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:07 pm

beanoX3 wrote:I've got no qualms about trying anything at least once. As long as whatever I'm eating isn't going to poison me or anything, I'm game enough to eat it. The only type of animal that kinda gets me hesitant though, is seafood. Any other land-based animal, I'll pop into my mouth.

Had pickled herring once....and immediately induced vomitting. :-P
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: Squirrel - the other white meat

Postby anderbudd » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:27 pm

stomperrob wrote:New Jersy residents are being warned to limit their squirrel intake to no more than twice a week because of possible lead contamination!!!

Lead, which is harmful in small amounts, can damage the nervous system, red blood cell production and the kidneys.

So how is it possible to tell if a squirrel has nervous system damage?
anderbudd
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:33 pm

beanoX3 wrote:I've got no qualms about trying anything at least once. As long as whatever I'm eating isn't going to poison me or anything, I'm game enough to eat it. The only type of animal that kinda gets me hesitant though, is seafood. Any other land-based animal, I'll pop into my mouth.

I'm the exact opposite, if it lives in the water I'll try it. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:54 pm

anderbudd wrote:
stomperrob wrote:New Jersy residents are being warned to limit their squirrel intake to no more than twice a week because of possible lead contamination!!!

Lead, which is harmful in small amounts, can damage the nervous system, red blood cell production and the kidneys.

There are signs...

:-b

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:12 am

anderbudd wrote:

If it's in a wheelchair.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:56 am

We have a magnet on our refrigerator at the house with this cute little cartoon squirrel on it with giant innocent eyes. The squirrel is carrying one nut and another nut is on the ground with the cap broken off laying next to it. The caption on the magnet says; "Oh No, I bust a nut!" Most people don't get it, but occasionally we'll be in the kitchen hosting a party or something and someone will randomly just bust out laughing when they see it. :-b

As far as food is concerned, I'll try just about anything also... except worms, grubs or insects of any type. I heard fried crickets are a delicacy in Mexico. :-P
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk