Illegal immigrant demands Corvette she won - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Illegal immigrant demands Corvette she won

Moderator: Football Moderators

Illegal immigrant demands Corvette she won

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:06 pm

Jan. 25, 2007, 9:55AM
Illegal immigrant sues radio station over prize flap

Associated Press

CHICAGO — A woman has sued a Spanish-language radio station in Chicago, claiming it refused to give her the Corvette she won in a 2005 contest because she is undocumented.

Maribel Nava Alvarez, 22, said she was never told she needed to be a U.S. citizen or legal resident to win the car in a raffle sponsored by WLEY-FM.

Alvarez also claims in the lawsuit that an attorney for the station's parent company, Spanish Broadcasting System, threatened to turn her in to U.S. immigration officials if she tried to pursue the issue in court.

Alvarez, who said she has left the Chicago area out of fear that she would be deported, is suing for breach of contract and emotional distress.

In a news release, the radio station said the law requires it to get a valid Social Security number or tax identification number from anyone who wins prizes worth more than $500.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:23 pm

The thing that bothers me about this is that it should go without saying that if you aren't a legal US resident, you can't file a court case. The court system are made FOR U.S. citizens and legal residents. Not illegals. That is CRAZY!
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:41 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:The thing that bothers me about this is that it should go without saying that if you aren't a legal US resident, you can't file a court case. The court system are made FOR U.S. citizens and legal residents. Not illegals. That is CRAZY!

Agreed. I hope the judge orders her seized and deported for violating the law (a vital part many people forget when referring to 'illegal' immigrants).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:57 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:The thing that bothers me about this is that it should go without saying that if you aren't a legal US resident, you can't file a court case. The court system are made FOR U.S. citizens and legal residents. Not illegals. That is CRAZY!

While I dont agree with her, I also dont agree with your statement.

Just b/c someone isnt a citizen, doesnt mean that they should be taken advantage or or allowed to have crimes/injustices done to them.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:05 am

Flux wrote:

Just b/c someone isnt a citizen, doesnt mean that they should be taken advantage or or allowed to have crimes/injustices done to them.

Well, am I right that she did a crime herself. I mean, that is why they call them "illegals" isn't it?? Fine. Let her file her suit, rule on it however is deemed fit, and then arrest her for being here illegally. :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:54 am

Flux wrote:

This is the viewpoint I have a problem with. You are immediately labelling this woman a victim. That's completely inaccurate in our country. She is here illegally and is attempting to take advantage of the fruits of this country. Labelling her a victim is inaccurate and unconstructive.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:08 pm

Only in America. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 pm

Madison wrote:Only in America. :-b

... but never in Texas. ;-D :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Flux » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Flux wrote:

This is the viewpoint I have a problem with. You are immediately labelling this woman a victim. That's completely inaccurate in our country. She is here illegally and is attempting to take advantage of the fruits of this country. Labelling her a victim is inaccurate and unconstructive.

Look at the part I bolded. I never said she was a victim...I dont think she should get the car at all.

All i was saying was that we cant just automatically say (as joel said) that "if you aren't a legal US resident, you can't file a court case."

This goes far beyond winning a car. If someone is a tourist, do they have the right to be assaulted or stolen from just b/c they arent a legal US resident? If we say tourists are allowed to have rights, but illegal immigrants arent, whats that say about us? What about those trying to get citizenship or whatever else you can think of.

Is it OK for you to rape and murder someone if they are trespassing on your property? It is illegal for them to be there, but that still doesnt give you the right to do it.

Laws are there to protect people, plain and simple. Granted, this person should not be here, and this is a small incident, but where do you draw the line...and thats my point.

Do you draw the line at not owning up to a promise? A contract? Stealing from them? Assault? Murder? What?

Where is the line drawn to where we protect illegal immigrants and where we dont?

There are rights we have as US citizens, but there are moral rights that we all have. You cant just say that b/c someone here is illegally doesnt mean they have these rights also.

I realize this is far and away past just not getting a car, but not giving illegal immigrants the ability to file claims opens up a huge can of worms
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:33 pm

Flux wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Flux wrote:

Look at the part I bolded. I never said she was a victim...I dont think she should get the car at all.

All i was saying was that we cant just automatically say (as joel said) that "if you aren't a legal US resident, you can't file a court case."

This goes far beyond winning a car. If someone is a tourist, do they have the right to be assaulted or stolen from just b/c they arent a legal US resident? If we say tourists are allowed to have rights, but illegal immigrants arent, whats that say about us? What about those trying to get citizenship or whatever else you can think of.

Is it OK for you to rape and murder someone if they are trespassing on your property? It is illegal for them to be there, but that still doesnt give you the right to do it.

Laws are there to protect people, plain and simple. Granted, this person should not be here, and this is a small incident, but where do you draw the line...and thats my point.

Do you draw the line at not owning up to a promise? A contract? Stealing from them? Assault? Murder? What?

Where is the line drawn to where we protect illegal immigrants and where we dont?

There are rights we have as US citizens, but there are moral rights that we all have. You cant just say that b/c someone here is illegally doesnt mean they have these rights also.

I realize this is far and away past just not getting a car, but not giving illegal immigrants the ability to file claims opens up a huge can of worms

I misunderstood your point. Probably because you went a little further than I thought you had. I guess I haven't thought about whether illegal immigrants should be granted to right to file claims in court. Couldn't they have someone do that for them? I don't know.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk