Illegal immigrant demands Corvette she won - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Illegal immigrant demands Corvette she won

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:22 pm

I think you guys arguing against this woman’s right to file are forgetting your humanity. Yes, she’s here illegally, but that is a separate issue.

Didn’t you ever learn that two wrongs don’t make a right?

We are a nation of justice. It is unjust to withhold the protection of the Law from a person based on their status in the country.

If a person is here illegally and is wronged that person should have every ability to use the full weight of our legal system to put that right. AFTER that, this person should be deported – because that’s also what the law says. But the wrong of illegally gaining entrance to the United States does not forfeit a person’s right to not be violated. The law is the law is the law, and it applies to all men equally.

I am NOT pro-illegal alien. I am very, very anti-illegal alien. But that doesn’t mean that we treat them as subhumans.

The Declaration of Independence wrote:We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
It doesn’t get a whole lot more clear than that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:22 pm

Redskins Win wrote: she's just a fool for trying this in the first place, she should've read the illegal immigrant dos and don'ts when she snuck in or decided to not leave after her visa ran out.

QFT ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:38 pm

knapplc wrote:I think you guys arguing against this woman’s right to file are forgetting your humanity. Yes, she’s here illegally, but that is a separate issue.

Didn’t you ever learn that two wrongs don’t make a right?

We are a nation of justice. It is unjust to withhold the protection of the Law from a person based on their status in the country.

If a person is here illegally and is wronged that person should have every ability to use the full weight of our legal system to put that right. AFTER that, this person should be deported – because that’s also what the law says. But the wrong of illegally gaining entrance to the United States does not forfeit a person’s right to not be violated. The law is the law is the law, and it applies to all men equally.

I am NOT pro-illegal alien. I am very, very anti-illegal alien. But that doesn’t mean that we treat them as subhumans.

The Declaration of Independence wrote:We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
It doesn’t get a whole lot more clear than that.

I see your point. I can add this also.

US Constitution, Article III, Section 2 wrote:The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, and treaties made, or which shall be made, under their authority;--to all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls;--to all cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction;--to controversies to which the United States shall be a party;--to controversies between two or more states;--between a state and citizens of another state;--between citizens of different states;--between citizens of the same state claiming lands under grants of different states, and between a state, or the citizens thereof, and foreign states, citizens or subjects.

So, I guess I still see both sides of the thing. Even though it doesn't seem right to me, they are entitled to the court system.
so......

This lady is STILL very possibly the dumbest lady on the planet though. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Illegal immigrant demands Corvette she won

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:49 am

stomperrob wrote:

In a news release, the radio station said the law requires it to get a valid Social Security number or tax identification number from anyone who wins prizes worth more than $500.

Well I read through this entire thread and everyone seems to be missing the point and the real reason why she can't win the Corvette. What I quoted above is the only reason and like usual it comes down to money. By law, all prizes won on a radio station giveaway that are worth more than $500 must be claimed when filing taxes so Uncle Sam can get his cut. I won a trip for 2 to see the Bulls play the Suns in Chicago in 1993 on a radio station in NY and I had to give them my SSN in order to claim the prize and so that I could claim it when I filed my taxes for that year. It's pretty simple...no SSN because you're in the country illegally...no Corvette.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Re: Illegal immigrant demands Corvette she won

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

In a news release, the radio station said the law requires it to get a valid Social Security number or tax identification number from anyone who wins prizes worth more than $500.

Well I read through this entire thread and everyone seems to be missing the point and the real reason why she can't win the Corvette. What I quoted above is the only reason and like usual it comes down to money. By law, all prizes won on a radio station giveaway that are worth more than $500 must be claimed when filing taxes so Uncle Sam can get his cut. I won a trip for 2 to see the Bulls play the Suns in Chicago in 1993 on a radio station in NY and I had to give them my SSN in order to claim the prize and so that I could claim it when I filed my taxes for that year. It's pretty simple...no SSN because you're in the country illegally...no Corvette.

Yeah, actually, I did realize that, it's just that the discussion went off the fact of whether or not she should get the corvette REALLY fast. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:33 am

didn't this happen on an episode of Earl?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk