The latest TV

Moderator: Football Moderators

The latest TV

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:09 pm

The most awaited product of 2007

Author Ted Kritsonis
PCworld.ca
January 23, 2007

Sony's OLED TVs could become the much awaited LCD and plasma killer that may make buying a TV easy (and enjoyable) again.

Although it may seem surprising that the most awaited product of the year may not even hit the shelves until 2008, anyone who saw Sony's Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) TVs understands why we may spend all of 2007 waiting for news about this technology.

The models displayed by the company at CES were a glimpse into where flat-panels might go. We already see OLED technology on cell phone and PDA screens all the time, but utilizing it for an HDTV at 27 inches is another story. In a nutshell, the pixels within an OLED image emit their own light, which means that there's no need for any backlighting (like you see in LCD and plasma).

The 27-inch panel measures a measly one centimetre deep, which is thinner than a lot of picture frames out there, not to mention any LCD or plasma. The 11-inch model on display was a paltry three millimetres in depth, which is about the same as a copy of TIME or Macleans.

It gets better. The OLED screens deliver a higher contrast at 1,000,000:1, wider colour gamut and faster response time than anything that's out there right now. Sony has said that production of the smaller OLED screens may happen soon, with development continuing on the larger models.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:00 pm

Just make sure that no one taps on the glass. :-b

Seriously though, 1 centimeter is really thin. 8-o
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby knapplc » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:25 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Just make sure that no one taps on the glass. :-b

Seriously though, 1 centimeter is really thin. 8-o

Yes it is, and if you're like me you're thinking of the stability of a TV that small. I wonder about warping and stuff like that over time.

Also, it'll launch in 2008 but it won't be affordable for the Average Joe until 2013.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:26 pm

I'm not a techie...but having each pixel emitting it's own light? Isn't that just asking for variations in strength? Interesting concept, though...I don't like my TVs smaller than 42" though. :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Karoz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:47 am

dgan wrote:I'm not a techie...but having each pixel emitting it's own light? Isn't that just asking for variations in strength? Interesting concept, though...I don't like my TVs smaller than 42" though. :-b

Well, your girl doesn't like certain things below 7". She made a compromise, can't you? :-b
(Only joking, of course.)

I can't wait until it hits the shelves, as I will be one of the first ones at the store to grab one. However, I wish that they would stop trying to make TVs thinner. There is no need to have a paper thin television, as its not like you're going to have problem finding room for one just because it's 1" deep. I would be scared to move a television as thin thin as this one, as it might snap in half.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:30 pm

dgan wrote:I'm not a techie...but having each pixel emitting it's own light? Isn't that just asking for variations in strength? Interesting concept, though...I don't like my TVs smaller than 42" though. :-b

Possibly. That is a very good thought, BUT LED's are supposed to be able to emit like 50,000 hours of light before they are bad and that is for a room light. They said at the website I was viewing it should last for 17 years at 8 hours a day. ;-D

But I see what you are saying about one bad bulb and all of the sudden...

Aren't plasmas the same way though. :-? Don't they warn about having pixels go out in them too?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk