Running Backs in 2007 - Share your Thoughts.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Running Backs in 2007 - Share your Thoughts....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:09 pm

What about Greg Jones for JAX?

And Addai is the main back in Indy - no doubt about it. It's really not even that close.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:13 pm

Indy isn't really a RBBC, Addai is basically the featuer back, and if anything, they should be in that middle group. I would take him over some of the RB's that you have as being the feature back.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:What about Greg Jones for JAX?

And Addai is the main back in Indy - no doubt about it. It's really not even that close.

What about him? He strung together a couple decent games last year, but MJD put up amazing stats for his limited touches. Jacksonville I could easily easily swinging to the featured RB group.

I totally agree with you on Addai though. Rhodes will only get to hang around as injury insurance and to spell Addai.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:59 pm

maddog60 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:What about Greg Jones for JAX?

What about him? He strung together a couple decent games last year, but MJD put up amazing stats for his limited touches. Jacksonville I could easily easily swinging to the featured RB group.

I totally agree with you on Addai though. Rhodes will only get to hang around as injury insurance and to spell Addai.

I know what everyone is saying regarding MJD but it seems like nobody is even remembering last year when people were screaming about how good Tatum Bell was with limited touches and how he'd be such an amazing back if just given 20+ carries.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen here, but it would be tough to discount it for me come draft day. Besides, if Jacksonville can get the same or better production from their "feature" back I don't see why they would want to change anything.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:53 am

MJD had several games where he was the feature back (when Taylor was injured) and performed at a very high level.

Jacksonville is an interesting situation. You have a new OC who is noted for his passing acumen combined with a team that traditionally runs a run-heavy attack. What little information I've been able to find on Koetter indicates that he's also known for building the offense around the players he has - though I'm not sure how that makes him much different from any good coach.

I see Jacksonville running more two- and three-back sets, using Taylor as the two-down "feature" back, MJD as a change-of-pace and receiving threat, and G-Jones in short-yardage situations and as a block-and-go receiving option. Ironically, this might increase Taylor's value because, of course, he'll be less prone to injury.

The big question is whether the Jags will be able to establish the pass next year. If they do, I think Taylor's value goes up as he's more suited to a first or second-down back and will have more opportunities to play against pass coverage and break out for serious yards.

As for the other backs, LaBrandon Toefield is also talented, and would likely have filled in admirably as Taylor's replacement last season when he was injured had not MJD been there. Alvin Pearman continues to see playing time exclusively on special teams as a returner, and Derrick Wimbush and Montell Owens are dropped like third period French.

I wouldn't take any Jacksonville backs in the first two rounds of the draft, though potentially Taylor could sneak into the latter half of the second. I think Taylor at late second/early third and MJD at late third/early fourth is about right. Jones might be worth a late-round flyer in deep leagues, but that's about it. None of the real backups will see significant playing time on the offensive side of the ball.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kilroy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:59 am

skibrett15 wrote:Cleveland: A great spot for Adrian Peterson, but if Romeo goes with defense I think Droughns could turn it around.

While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Peterson in an Orange hat I look for the Browns to go either QB (if Russell or Quinn fall to them) or OL.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:45 am

I might add my big question - where does Ricky Williams go, and how does he do next year? Is he worth drafting, and if so, in what round?
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Crippler » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:19 am

Felix the Cat wrote:I might add my big question - where does Ricky Williams go, and how does he do next year? Is he worth drafting, and if so, in what round?

Maybe in the last few rounds, similar to his draft position 2 seasons ago.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:21 am

skibrett15 wrote:Miami: Expect the limiting of Ronnie Brown to stop. Saban liked to use Sammy Morris a little more than he should. THIS is the year that Brown is poised for a big one, not last year.

I agree. I think Brown is going to have an explosive year. In our recent mock draft, I drafted Ronnie Brown at the 2.8 round.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:52 am

I like all the insight, discussion, and debate going on so far. ;-D

I'm reserving judgment on all these situations until the NFL draft. A lot of these RBBC questions will be cleared up there.

One feature back that I'm not buying - Lamont Jordan. Call it a hunch, but I think Oakland will go RBBC or have a different starter.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk