What type of Auction?

Fast
67%
Slow
33%

Total votes : 15

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:43 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I've only done one, which was live, and I didn't like it because it gave me the opportunity to overbid on players. ;-) :-[

I guess I'd prefer to have time to consider if I want to bid more or not.

But having time takes the fun outta auctions. It's all about making split second decisions.

yeah, overbidding on a player because of the adrenaline of the situation or whatever if a weakness in a way- if you are really good at auctioning, u should be able to overcome that.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:Like Flots said, it really depends on your situation. I would think a live auction would be more challenging, in that emotions may run high causing "bidding wars" to erupt.

Yeah, I would think that a lot of the fun of a live auction would be attempting not to get caught up in the heat of the moment and overbidding on a player. Nothing like a good bidding war ;-)
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dexter II » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:57 pm

I've done auctions for 5 years now and like the live style a lot, whether in person or on-line. I admit I haven't tried a slow one so I don't have an exact point of comparison but I can't imagine it would be as exciting as the live auction.

Bidding up players, nominating over valued players early, searching for bargains, all make for a pretty fun experience in my opinion.
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:52 pm

There is another type of auction that nobody has mentioned here yet. The blind auction. Not quite as intense as a live fast auction, but takes an awful lot of skill and strategy.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kilroy » Sat May 05, 2007 12:22 am

I love the Cafe, and it's a great place to find the kind of knowledgeable competition that makes for the kind of league that's fun and helps make you better at FF, but I gotta admit I miss live drafts. I'll get to do one this year (My F&F league, where there will be more Draft Beer than Draft Strategy), and I may join a public NFL.com league just to do another.

Live Drafts (Auction, Keeper, Redraft, whatever) are where you truly separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to whose done the research, assembled their rankings, and so on. Gotta love the ticking clock.

A Blind Auction seems like it would require an entire different school of thought. I'm guessing (never done one) that it would require more of a "big picture" outlook on the assembly of your team. Sounds challenging, which generally means once you survive the first one it's fun.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner