Return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Buccaneers Offseason Needs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:41 pm

From Fanball: http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm?id=9001

By John Tuvey, Executive Editor
We continue our team-by-team look at offseason needs with the Bucs, whose once-dominant defense is aging rapidly and who endured a dramatic rash of underachievement from the vast majority of its offensive players.

Areas of Need: Perhaps the biggest need for the Bucs in 2006 was a better health plan, as injuries robbed them of quarterback Chris Simms, wide receiver Michael Clayton, pass-rusher Simeon Rice, and cornerback Brian Kelly for much of the season. With rookie Bruce Gradkowski at the helm the Bucs' offense sputtered; Tim Rattay lit a fuse late in the year, but he's a free agent and may not be back to provide veteran backup for Simms. Other skill position players flat-out underachieved, based on what they had done previously, with the exception of Joey Galloway—who isn't exactly at a point in his career where you build the offense around him.

The Bucs do have talent on offense; the key will be getting Clayton and Carnell Williams to produce like they did as rookies. There's a chance we've already seen the best of Clayton, and with Galloway and Ike Hilliard on the downslope of their careers the Bucs could be targeting some receiver help as well. The offensive line, especially rookies Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood, played better as the season progressed, but the unit would still benefit from an influx of talent.

However, the Bucs' most pressing needs are on the defensive side of the ball, where age and a steady departure of coaches has caught up to this group. It all starts up front, where Anthony McFarland was traded last fall and Dwayne White will likely depart via free agency. The club has indicated they'd like to keep Rice, and they should have the cap room to do so, but this draft is flush with line help and would certainly present an opportunity to get younger and better at the position. The secondary will need addressing as well; how long before Ronde Barber follows his brother into the TV studio? Again, the talent is getting up in years, so at minimum Tampa Bay will want to start grooming some replacements for the inevitable.

Help is on the Way? The Bucs will pick either third or fourth in round one, depending on the outcome of a coin flip with the Browns. They could have a play-maker like wide receiver Calvin Johnson fall into their laps, but if one of the quarterbacks slips through it may be hard for Jon Gruden to pass. Tampa Bay also has about $24 million of cap room, per the Tampa Bay Tribune, which should give them a leg up in trying to woo free agents.

Aside from Simms' return and the possible addition of another wide receiver, fantasy folks can expect largely the same cast of characters from the Bucs in 2007. However, improved quarterback play might help Clayton recapture the magic of his rookie year and some offensive line tinkering could jump-start Williams. The vast majority of Tampa Bay's offseason tweaking will most likely come on the defensive side of the ball, with the twin goals of getting younger and adding depth.

After inheriting a Super Bowl-ready team in his first year in Tampa, Gruden has failed to offer the Bucs much of a return on their investment. If he's truly coaching for his job in 2007, as some speculate, expect many of the offseason moves to be of the free agent variety in hopes of a more immediate turnaround than drafting and grooming young talent might bring.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:05 am

We defnitely need to get some guys on Defense since our core is getting older. We also need one more offensive linemean to shore up that line to give Simms protection and open holes for Caddy. To go with that we need somemore offensive firepower with Joey getting older and Clayton having injuries. Stovall looked very good when he got a chance and i think he should play over Clayton, but we need a replacement for Joey. I think the Bucs should get CJ to replace Joey and then go pretty much all D from there and maybe an o-linemen in the second day.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:33 am

From: http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.9613/Football

By Jason Powell, Senior Editor

Buccaneers Draft Preview

Wants and Needs: After spending several seasons in salary cap purgatory, the Buccaneers finally had some money to play with in free agency. They filled a number of holes by signing linebacker Cato June, offensive tackle Luke Petitgout, defensive lineman Kevin Carter, and quarterback Jeff Garcia, but they still have needs at safety, defensive end, and wide receiver. Technically, defensive end Simeon Rice is still under contract, but there are rumblings that his days would be numbered should the Buccaneers find a suitable replacement before the season begins. Although Carter played most of his career at defensive end, he doesn't appear to be Rice's replacement, as team officials would like him to move to defensive tackle.

Potential Selections: Head coach Jon Gruden has been raving about wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who is widely regarded as the best overall player in the draft. There is speculation that the Raiders, Lions, and Browns will pass over Johnson to address needs, meaning he could slip to the Bucs. The last thing the Bucs need is another quarterback since they already have Chris Simms and Jeff Garcia slated to compete for the starting job this summer, not to mention the fact that Jake Plummer is technically on the roster. If Johnson is off the board, the Bucs might be inclined to select defensive end Gaines Adams, who has drawn favorable comparisons to Rice and could conceivably end up replacing him. Safey LaRon Landry would be a terrific fit in Tampa. The former LSU Tiger is arguably the best defensive player in the draft and he could fill a need in the secondary, as the Bucs are so thin at the position that they have discussed the idea of converting one of their countless cornerbacks. Hulking offensive tackle Joe Thomas would most definitely be a candidate if were to surprisingly slip past the Lions and Browns. Gruden has hinted that he would give some consideration to selecting Adrian Peterson with the fourth overall pick. However, we'd be surprised to see the Bucs make such a move because they have other needs and used the No. 5 overall pick in the 2005 draft to select starting running back Carnell Williams.

Tampa Bay's Picks:
Round One: 4th overall
Round Two: 35th overall, 64th overall (from Indianapolis)
Round Three: 68th overall
Round Four: 102nd overall
Round Five: 141st overall
Round Seven: 214th overall, 245th overall (compensatory selection), 246th overall (compensatory selection)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:42 pm

id love to see them get clavin, but i honestly dont know if he will fall to them. i like landry a lot, i think he would be a great pickup for the bucs ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:54 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:id love to see them get clavin, but i honestly dont know if he will fall to them. i like landry a lot, i think he would be a great pickup for the bucs ;-D

I would ove to see Cj as well, but i have a feeling the Raiders will take him. There have been some rumors that the Bucs are looking to move Caddy to GB or BUf for their pick and then draft AD if CJ is gone
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:01 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:id love to see them get clavin, but i honestly dont know if he will fall to them. i like landry a lot, i think he would be a great pickup for the bucs ;-D

I would ove to see Cj as well, but i have a feeling the Raiders will take him. There have been some rumors that the Bucs are looking to move Caddy to GB or BUf for their pick and then draft AD if CJ is gone

AP?

what do you think about that? i personally like caddy, i think gruden just broke him early and then he didnt have much chance with the lack of passing game/offense last season.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:02 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

AP?

what do you think about that? i personally like caddy, i think gruden just broke him early and then he didnt have much chance with the lack of passing game/offense last season.

i love AD, i think he is the best back coming out in a while. Caddy is hurt and is hiding it. His back problem is worse than people think. Also i am not sure he can carry the load we need from him, he was never THE back in college, they always had brown. Also, he cannot catch a pass out of the Backfield which you cannot have in the WC system
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:13 pm

thats true...the back thing is a major problem. i havent given up on his durability. gruden buried him into the ground his rookie year...that kind of punishment is tough to take even for the must rugged of players. if his back is a problem, that is another story.

so when you say trading him for GB or buffs pics, you dont mean 1st round picks do you? would they really give up that much?
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:19 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:thats true...the back thing is a major problem. i havent given up on his durability. gruden buried him into the ground his rookie year...that kind of punishment is tough to take even for the must rugged of players. if his back is a problem, that is another story.

so when you say trading him for GB or buffs pics, you dont mean 1st round picks do you? would they really give up that much?

Yea there 1st rounder. Well he was a top 5 pick a couple years ago and its cheaper than Michael Turner
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:03 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:thats true...the back thing is a major problem. i havent given up on his durability. gruden buried him into the ground his rookie year...that kind of punishment is tough to take even for the must rugged of players. if his back is a problem, that is another story.

Yea there 1st rounder. Well he was a top 5 pick a couple years ago and its cheaper than Michael Turner

yeah i understand he was top 5, but with his injuries and such im kind of surprised people would be willing to pay so much...especially after seeing what mcgahee and tjones went for.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers