Barbaro Euthinized - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Barbaro Euthinized

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:44 pm

No offense taken.

My point is simply that when it's obvious that when a human has terminal cancer or some other grave condition, they stop giving them expensive operations and treatment. They'll give them painkillers for the pain and that's it.

It was foolish to even try to rescue this horse. No horse has EVER recovered from such injuries. Statistics don't lie. When 100% of horses who suffer such injuries don't recover, why would Barbaro be any different? It was a colossal waste of money and time.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:50 pm

So sad to hear about his passing, but it was quite obviously for the best. :,-(
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FBBVirgin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:25 pm

I must be the only one, or maybe there are people that share my feelings but would feel it is "insensitive" to write it, but...

IT'S A HORSE!!! There is so much media exposure for this animal. I really do not understand all the sympathy posts on here. Sure the owners are sad...sad that they are going to be losing $$.

And don't tell me that there is a little girl who used to sneak out in the middle of the night to ride the horse or some sappy story like that. It was bred from other race horses, raised by money hungry owners.

Call me insensitive, call me a jerk, but I am not weeping for Ol' Barbaro.

As a teacher, I am glad the world's glue supply just increased.
FBBVirgin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:26 pm

It was definitely for the best. It would really suck to have to try and live like that. I didn't realize that basically ALL of his legs were messed up. I thought it was just the one. If it were just one, it might have been OK to keep him going.

I posted a blog about it on my page last night...guess it was foreshadowing. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:12 pm

what in the world do they use on a horse to make glue from..... :-?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:48 am

The Lung wrote:No offense taken.

My point is simply that when it's obvious that when a human has terminal cancer or some other grave condition, they stop giving them expensive operations and treatment. They'll give them painkillers for the pain and that's it.

It was foolish to even try to rescue this horse. No horse has EVER recovered from such injuries. Statistics don't lie. When 100% of horses who suffer such injuries don't recover, why would Barbaro be any different? It was a colossal waste of money and time.

Not necessarily. Mickey Mantle was terminal when they vaulted him to the top of the transplant list in what was a losing battle. They all knew it.

I also thought that it wasn't allowed to use artificial insemination. I thought that it had to be as nature intended or not at all.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:25 am

RIP. :,-(

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:32 am

knapplc wrote:
The Lung wrote:They should have done this from the start. No horse has EVER recovered from such injuries. They wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on those operations.

It's their money, and if they could have kept him alive his Stud fees would have paid for that in less than a year.

It was an investment, but not just financially. These people loved this horse. Yeah, it's just a horse, but if you can't grasp why they tried so hard from the emotional side you're a hard-hearted person.

I'm not cracking on you, Lung. I'm just saying in general. ;-)

This is what I really got from the short interviews and quotes from the owners and trainers of this horse. They sincerely cared for it. Yeah, I'm sure they took advantage of the opportunities such an amazing creature can afford, but I saw a sincerity that I deemed genuine. Not just selfish people clammering after the last drip of Barbaro juice to make an extra dollar. We can say that a horse with such injuries has never recovered, but does that mean that we are to never try...ever? Because someday a horse will recover. Medical history shows countless evidence that, eventually, this will happen. It just didn't happen in Barbaro's case.

I'm not a big fan of horses (some bad experiences) or horse racing, but I can appreciate an amazing creature like Barbaro. I hope the people that loved and cared for him can find some peace in knowing they tried everything they possibly could to save him. And, yes, I know he's 'just a horse', but I bet to the people that spent every single day with him, he was just a bit more than that.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:22 am

FBBVirgin wrote:I must be the only one, or maybe there are people that share my feelings but would feel it is "insensitive" to write it, but...

IT'S A HORSE!!! There is so much media exposure for this animal. I really do not understand all the sympathy posts on here. Sure the owners are sad...sad that they are going to be losing $$.

And don't tell me that there is a little girl who used to sneak out in the middle of the night to ride the horse or some sappy story like that. It was bred from other race horses, raised by money hungry owners.

Call me insensitive, call me a jerk, but I am not weeping for Ol' Barbaro.

As a teacher, I am glad the world's glue supply just increased.

Saying barbaro is just a horse is like saying walter payton was just another football player. sure barbaro wasn't a human being, and i didn't know him personally, but I can attest to the fact that horses have loads of character and inteligence. I'm not weeping for the kid either though I do respect what he contributed to horse racing and i think the owner took trying to save him just too far.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:40 pm

Barbaro's final resting place could be just a few hundred yards from the scene of his greatest triumph in the Kentucky Derby.

Officials at the Kentucky Derby Museum, located on the grounds of Churchill Downs, said Tuesday they'd be "honored" if Barbaro were buried in a garden along with four other Derby winners.

"We've expressed to them how honored we'd be to have Barbaro here," Lynn Ashton, executive director of the museum, said. "We feel like we're bringing horses back to be honored."

The grave sites of Derby winners Sunny's Halo (1983), Carry Back (1961), Swaps (1955) and Brokers Tip (1933) are located outside on the museum grounds.

Owners Gretchen and Roy Jackson said Monday a final decision on where Barbaro would be buried had not been made. Other possibilities include the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Ky., and the Jacksons' Lael Farm, just a few miles away from the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center.

The Jacksons did not immediately return phone calls Tuesday morning.

Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his gruesome breakdown at last year's Preakness, ending an eight-month ordeal that made him even more of a hero than he was as an undefeated Derby winner.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk