Return to General Talk

Windows Vista

Moderator: Football Moderators

Windows Vista

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:58 am

Gates' newest operating system now out:

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007
Gates contends new Windows system has 'wows all over'

NEW YORK (AP) - "Wow" hasn't tended to be a big part of Bill Gates' vocabulary, but to hear him speak in the hours before Microsoft Corp.'s planned launch of the long-awaited Vista operating system, you'd never know it.

"This 'Wow' thing is a great way of describing what we've got here," Microsoft's chairman said in an interview Monday as the software maker began a slate of splashy events in New York. "There are chances for wows all over the product."

More than five years in the making, Vista was released for businesses Nov. 30, but the unveiling for consumers of the latest edition of Windows - which runs more than 90 per cent of the world's PCs - was scheduled for Tuesday around the globe. Vista retails for US$100 to $400, depending on the version and whether the user is upgrading from Windows XP.

Over the weekend, Dell Inc. started taking orders for PCs with Vista for delivery Tuesday and beyond. Kevin Rollins, Dell's chief executive, said at a launch event Monday that the company's website saw a 20 per cent jump in traffic and that "tens of thousands of copies" of Vista were sold.

In Tokyo, about 80 people lined up at the Bic Camera Department Store to become among the world's first consumers to own Vista. Celebrities and executives were on hand as a large-screen TV displayed a countdown to the midnight launch (10 a.m. EST).

The second person in line, Fumihiko Koyama, 33, waited three hours and was hoping the new operating system will make his work in web design easier.

"My expectations are very high for Vista," he said. "I want to try it out because it's new."

The Redmond, Wash.-based software maker contends that Vista is such a huge improvement over previous computing platforms that users inevitably say "Wow" when they see it.

When users boot up Vista for the first time, they'll be wowed by the slick 3-D graphical user interface and document icons that give at-a-glance previews, Gates said. He said the next wow comes when people start using a system-wide search program that Microsoft's engineers built into both the operating system and new versions of Microsoft Word, Excel and other Office 2007 elements, which also hit store shelves at midnight.

But will this talk of "wow" translate into crowds at the CompUSA and Best Buy stores that are staying open until past midnight to sell the very first Vista machines?

"When I look at Windows Vista, I see a technology that is interesting, that is relevant, but to some extent is evolutionary," said Al Gillen, an analyst at the technology research group IDC. "I do not believe it will create a lot of motivation for people to rush out and get a new operating system."

Gates said Microsoft actually wasn't pushing midnight sales events - after all, the software will be available as a download over the web for the first time. However, Microsoft chief executive officer Steve Ballmer said in a speech Monday that, as in the past, most consumers will switch to Vista only when they buy a new computer.

Still, Gates didn't play down the importance of Vista. He argued that as the PC has morphed from a souped-up typewriter to a networked entertainment centre, personal media library and gateway to the Internet, the operating system itself has earned a higher profile.

"When people think about their PC, they think about Windows even more than who the manufacturer is. That determines how it looks, how you navigate, what the applications are that are available," Gates said. And in this case, Vista has folded in programs that users once bought separately - including automated backup systems and some spyware protections.

Microsoft also included its Media Center multimedia software with higher-end versions of Vista and added stronger connections between the PC and the Xbox 360 game console, advancing the company's vision for a digital lifestyle in which consumers use many devices to access their games and documents like photos and movies.

But giving users seamless access to movies, music and television on all of their devices is a way off, Gates acknowledges.

"There's definitely still some challenges to make sure that creative people get compensated and yet have it be easy for a user to move their media between devices," he said. "The technology industry and the content world still have a fair bit of work to do on this."

Establishing a more solid foothold in web services, a field in which Microsoft admittedly is playing catch-up, is another line on Gates' to-do list. In the past year, Microsoft has faced increased competition from Google Inc. and smaller, open-source players. Microsoft, meanwhile, has yet to fully connect its disparate online services under the Live brand.

"We're investing a lot in Live," Gates said.

Microsoft shares were down 24 cents at $30.36 in mid-afternoon trading Monday on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

From an investor's perspective, Vista is a long event: Many analysts predict Vista will need a few years before it outnumbers its predecessor, Windows XP, on PCs in use.

-

Associated Press Writer Hans Greimel in Tokyo contributed to this story.

© The Canadian Press, 2007
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 am

Wake me up when it can make my coffee in the morning.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:07 am

So what exactly does it do? Or why is it better than XP?

So it came with Media Center? I already have that and don't use it.

What else does it come with?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:34 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:So what exactly does it do? Or why is it better than XP?

a reach around by gates :-b
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:49 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:

i read it comes with beefed up security compared to other versions of windows.

ive seen some screen shots of it...looks cool at least.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:50 am

It's not a system upgrade, it's a complete rewrite of the code. From the ground up, its new. Here are a few screenshots.

So, as you can see, there are major visual upgrades, but most machines that are running XP won't be able to support it. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:59 am

You can learn about it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx

One thing it's going to do is create more defined standards of what criteria certain hardware need to meet. For example, look at video cards: video cards have so many different models that it's very difficult for software companies to make their applications work consistanly on all of them. Vista will have standards that have to be met in order for the video card to interact with the operating system. In other words VISTA will take away certain freedom of hardware manufacturers so that PC's are much more standardized which of course will make them a lot more stable, progammer friendly and safer from hackers. I certainly am just a layman as far as operating systems are concerned, but what I've read about it seems pretty impressive.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:03 pm

josebach wrote:

One thing it's going to do is create more defined standards of what criteria certain hardware need to meet. For example, look at video cards: video cards have so many different models that it's very difficult for software companies to make their applications work consistanly on all of them. Vista will have standards that have to be met in order for the video card to interact with the operating system. In other words VISTA will take away certain freedom of hardware manufacturers so that PC's are much more standardized which of course will make them a lot more stable, progammer friendly and safer from hackers. I certainly am just a layman as far as operating systems are concerned, but what I've read about it seems pretty impressive.

I have heard a lot of good things too, but I have also heard a lot of potentially bad bugs that come with it. It will be interesting to see how stable it REALLY is.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:04 pm

josebach wrote:

Those are just minimum system requirements, and within a year those minimum requirements will be outstripped by the games on the shelves in any store, which means that that "standard" actually won't last very long and it'll be status quo within a few months.

I'm really skeptical about this OS. It looks nice neough, but there really aren't many things to improve over older systems. I have XP here at work and I think it's the Shizz. I can't imagine why I'd want to switch - it does everything I want it to do, reasonably quickly and with minimal fuss.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:10 pm

I read an article, can't remember where, but the theme was that he highly recommended people wait until the bugs were worked out.

Highlights of the article:

- Took an extremly long time to install (he did it overnight)

- 4-5 problems with the installation

- Vista stated that several programs already on this persons computer were incompatable, including HP printer software and WINDOWS MESSANGER

-There are two versions, and one is called Arrow (supposedly it's the good one), and it requires something like 15 gig open memory, and some other hardware just to install.

-Once it was installed, it performed about the same as XP, with huge visual upgrades.

Again, he suggested waiting for the kinks to be worked out and to stick with XP for now.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk