Smith Campaigning for Browns to Take him - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Smith Campaigning for Browns to Take him

Moderator: Football Moderators

Smith Campaigning for Browns to Take him

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:04 pm

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Usually the one avoiding pressure, Troy Smith is putting the heat on the Cleveland Browns.

Ohio State's Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback is lobbying his hometown team to select him in April's NFL draft, and he isn't missing any chance to remind the Browns that he'll be available to them soon.

Smith was named the area's outstanding collegiate athlete at Tuesday night's Greater Cleveland Sports Awards, and during a taped acceptance speech he thanked the city's fans for their support.

"Hopefully, I'll get a chance to represent you guys at the next level with the Cleveland Browns," he said.

Smith hasn't hidden his desire to play for the Browns, who after finishing 4-12 last season will pick either third or fourth in April's draft. During a recent halftime ceremony at an Ohio State basketball game, Smith wore a Browns jacket.

Following a tribute for him at Glenville High School in December, Smith said playing for the Browns would fulfill a lifelong goal.

"I have dreamed about it and talked about it countless times with my mother," he said. "All she talks about is saving the Browns. If that were to happen, that would be a dream come true because I could stay in the community and give back."

Most draft experts have forecast Smith being taken in the second or third round. The knock on Smith is that he's not a prototypical pocket passer and that he's too small -- he was listed at 6-foot-1 on Ohio State's roster.

One of his former high school and college teammates believes Smith is being underestimated.

"He should be a first-round pick," said Buffalo safety Donte Whitner, the No. 8 pick overall last year by the Bills. "I don't think there is a problem with his height. He has shown what he can do on the field, he's a winner. He has won the big games, except for the last one. I believe in him.

"They said the same thing about Drew Brees, but he changed the New Orleans Saints organization around this year."

Smith didn't end his college career on a good note as he was roughed up by Florida's defense in a 41-14 loss in the BCS national championship. However, Browns general manager Phil Savage said Smith's performance shouldn't hurt his draft status.

"One game doesn't make a career," he said. "It was unfortunate the way it unfolded. That is the only sport that I know of where they take 50 days off and then play the championship. Troy had a terrific career at Ohio State, he won the Heisman Trophy, he's from Cleveland and well see how the draft unfolds in all of that."

The Browns seem committed to starting either Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson at quarterback next season, so if they pick a QB, it probably won't be until the later rounds of the two-day draft on April 28-29.

Frye said he isn't concerned about the possibility of the Browns bringing in another quarterback.

"If you're worried about that, you're worrying about the wrong things," he said.

Smith isn't the only Clevelander dreaming of playing for the Browns.

Wide receiver/returner Ted Ginn Jr., Smith's teammate at Glenville and Ohio State, is skipping his senior college season for the NFL. He, too, said he would like to trade a silver helmet for an orange one.

"It's always been a dream to play for the Browns," he said. "Why would I want to go anywhere else but Cleveland?"

Ginn still is wearing a protective walking boot after spraining his left foot in the BCS title game. Ginn said his injury, which happened during a celebration after he returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, is getting better and that he'll work out for pro scouts once it's 100 percent.

He said watching from the sideline on crutches during the Gators' thrashing of the top-ranked Buckeyes was difficult.

"Oh, man, it was very tough to see my team go down like that and not be able to help them at all," he said.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Smith Campaigning for Browns to Take him

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:51 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
CLEVELAND (AP) --
Ginn still is wearing a protective walking boot after spraining his left foot in the BCS title game. Ginn said his injury, which happened during a celebration after he returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, is getting better and that he'll work out for pro scouts once it's 100 percent.

He said watching from the sideline on crutches during the Gators' thrashing of the top-ranked Buckeyes was difficult.

"Oh, man, it was very tough to see my team go down like that and not be able to help them at all," he said.

...BS. He could have come back into that game. It's a sprained foot. People play on that kind of thing all the time. Don't even try to come back now and say "it was tough to watch" when you're too soft to get back into the game. I wish that game would have hurt Ginn's draft stock because of how soft he is and how he obviously doesn't care about his team, only about himself. Unfortunately I don't think it really affected his stock, somebody will still most likely take him in the first round IMO.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VaderFin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:10 pm

While I don't know Ginn's medical status at the game a sprained foot can EASILY be more then painful enough to not be able to play. Hell you can't walk sometimes if you sprain it bad enough.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:30 pm

No Thanks! !+)

I seriously doubt savage will take him. Nor do I want him.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:58 pm

VaderFin wrote:While I don't know Ginn's medical status at the game a sprained foot can EASILY be more then painful enough to not be able to play. Hell you can't walk sometimes if you sprain it bad enough.

He ran back onto the field after being taken to the locker room. I think if you can do that, you can help your team. Even if he couldn't play... he could have at least gone out onto the field and been a decoy and the Gators would have had to respect him. The same applies on kickoffs. The Gators had to kick away from him after the opening kickoff. IMO, he could have helped his team win and in the game that they needed him most, he sat out because of an injury and didn't try to help his team because he was worried of what may happen to him.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:06 pm

VaderFin wrote:While I don't know Ginn's medical status at the game a sprained foot can EASILY be more then painful enough to not be able to play. Hell you can't walk sometimes if you sprain it bad enough.

You can't walk sometimes the day after or week after, you can always walk and even run on a sprain right after it happens. If anything it's going to hurt a lot less 15 minutes after it happens then it does 15 hours or one day.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:29 pm

any chance he falls to the browns pick in the 3rd rd?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:40 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:any chance he falls to the browns pick in the 3rd rd?

He will be there although i don't think the will take him, i think they will take Quinn before then
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:17 pm

Free Bagel wrote:

You can't walk sometimes the day after or week after, you can always walk and even run on a sprain right after it happens. If anything it's going to hurt a lot less 15 minutes after it happens then it does 15 hours or one day.

Ok, but are you willing to run on a compromised foot and risk far more serious injuries when you're standing to lose a lot of money if you can't run really really fast? Didn't think so. And you can't run on a freshly sprained ankle all the time, depends on how bad of a sprain. If you completely tear the ligaments you aren't going to be able to run properly.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:31 pm

I guarantee the Browns do not draft Quinn, and I don't think they draft Smith either.

All Savage has talked about in the local press is bringing in a vet QB either via free agency or trade. Expect the Browns to make a push for Plummer or for Griese.

In the draft, the first pick will be Thomas or Peterson. Second Pick, a lineman or a corner, depending. Probably the other in the third round.

After the local boy with too little talent fiasco that Frye is, there is no way Savage takes Smith in the first 3 rounds. Especially with all the hype. Can you imagine Browns fans calling to start him day 1? It would be terrible.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football