Smith Campaigning for Browns to Take him - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Smith Campaigning for Browns to Take him

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:16 pm

Browns get clouded view of Smith's passing talents

Sunday, January 28, 2007
Doug Lesmerises
Plain Dealer Reporter

Mobile, Ala.- Rain streamed down the glass panels protecting the pressbox at Ladd-Peebles Stadium from the downpour on the field, and by the second half of the Senior Bowl on Saturday, the windows had fogged over as well.

In a far corner of the box, Browns General Manager Phil Savage, seated next to three of his scouts - by far the largest representation for an NFL team at the game - could only smile.

"I like to try to stay for the game, but because of the weather, it's probably not quite as valuable as normal circumstances," Savage said, straining to watch someone from the North score a touchdown at the opposite end of the field.

So it wasn't a day to find an answer to the Cleveland question, whether the Browns will end up drafting a hometown guy as their quarterback of the future.

Out there on the slick artificial turf, that man, Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith, probably wasn't too upset he was hard to see. His North team stomped the South, 27-0. But while Smith was the starting quarterback, he wasn't the star. His halftime stats - 4-of-13 for 45 yards - were uncomfortably similar to his national title game stats - 4-of-14 for 35 yards.

Playing the first two offensive series of the game, Smith did lead two scoring drives, the first ending with a 7-yard touchdown run by Penn State's Tony Hunt and the second with a 38-yard field goal by Colorado's Mason Crosby. When Smith returned for two series in the third quarter, he made his best throw of the day, rolling out and hitting Washington State's Jason Hill for a 7-yard touchdown. He finished 5-of-15 for 52 yards.

"I felt pretty good," Smith said after the game. "There were a couple passes I wish I could make again."

As Smith spoke in a crowded North locker room, former NFL quarterback and Tampa Bay scout Doug Williams leaned on a locker nearby.

"One thing about Troy Smith, you can just tell by the way he shakes your hand he's a leader," Williams said. "If you're around Troy Smith, it's going to be hard not to like Troy Smith, and it's going to be hard to not entrust him with your football team. I think every quarterback needs the right offense, but from a leadership standpoint, that kid's got something you can't teach."

Nineteen years ago, Williams was playing in the Senior Bowl, and a 12-year-old kid from Mobile named Phil Savage was watching and gawking at Williams' arm strength. Savage has been coming to this game since he was 5 and still remembers the time Bear Bryant walked right in front of the family car. It's part of why he stays now, when only five other NFL teams, and two from the Canadian Football League, had anyone stick around until gameday.

While Savage said someone from the Browns interviewed every player in this game during the week, he knows the Cleveland quarterback is of special interest to some fans.

"I wouldn't say it's totally irrelevant," Savage said of Smith's hometown standing in the Browns' decision-making. "I think when it comes down to the evaluations of what his abilities are and how they might translate to the NFL, I think it is. But once you get into the draft and players are starting to be selected, the choices get more clear-cut.

"I think it's important to have an identity, and we've done some of that with [acquiring] players from the area through free agency. I think it's a little easier to do it that way than in the draft, but I know he's expressed interest in playing for the Browns. We'll have to work through the spring to see where he winds up on our draft board."
Saturday wasn't a day to see the future, not through all that rain.



Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:09 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
That's the point. He didn't care about OSU. All that he cared about was Ted Ginn. I wouldn't want that kind of person on my team.


Reports I heard here in Ohio stated that Ginn wanted back in, but Tressel is the one who made him sit.

Regardless, Ginn is a sloppy route runner who depends on great speed. He will need a lot of coaching at the NFL level.

I think Gonzo makes a better NFL reciever at the end of the day.


Keep in mind that Ginn hasn't been playing WR that long. If I remember correctly, when he came to OSU was when he started playing WR. The same timeline happened with Roethlisberger. He just started playing QB at Miami (OH), he had never played the position before. So my guess is that if Roeth can pick up the QB position then Ginn should be able to pick up the WR position.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1621
Joined: 1 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gainesville, FL

Postby aldridg6in » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:42 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
That's the point. He didn't care about OSU. All that he cared about was Ted Ginn. I wouldn't want that kind of person on my team.


Reports I heard here in Ohio stated that Ginn wanted back in, but Tressel is the one who made him sit.

Regardless, Ginn is a sloppy route runner who depends on great speed. He will need a lot of coaching at the NFL level.

I think Gonzo makes a better NFL reciever at the end of the day.


Keep in mind that Ginn hasn't been playing WR that long. If I remember correctly, when he came to OSU was when he started playing WR. The same timeline happened with Roethlisberger. He just started playing QB at Miami (OH), he had never played the position before. So my guess is that if Roeth can pick up the QB position then Ginn should be able to pick up the WR position.


If Ronald Curry can pick up the WR position, then Ginn can definitely do it. Evidently it's not that hard. You just need speed and decent hands.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 889
Joined: 22 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Faith, NC

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:46 pm

aldridg6in wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
That's the point. He didn't care about OSU. All that he cared about was Ted Ginn. I wouldn't want that kind of person on my team.


Reports I heard here in Ohio stated that Ginn wanted back in, but Tressel is the one who made him sit.

Regardless, Ginn is a sloppy route runner who depends on great speed. He will need a lot of coaching at the NFL level.

I think Gonzo makes a better NFL reciever at the end of the day.


Keep in mind that Ginn hasn't been playing WR that long. If I remember correctly, when he came to OSU was when he started playing WR. The same timeline happened with Roethlisberger. He just started playing QB at Miami (OH), he had never played the position before. So my guess is that if Roeth can pick up the QB position then Ginn should be able to pick up the WR position.


If Ronald Curry can pick up the WR position, then Ginn can definitely do it. Evidently it's not that hard. You just need speed and decent hands.


That is not true. You need to run routes well and have an understanding of the offense.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Postby aldridg6in » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:50 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
That's the point. He didn't care about OSU. All that he cared about was Ted Ginn. I wouldn't want that kind of person on my team.


Reports I heard here in Ohio stated that Ginn wanted back in, but Tressel is the one who made him sit.

Regardless, Ginn is a sloppy route runner who depends on great speed. He will need a lot of coaching at the NFL level.

I think Gonzo makes a better NFL reciever at the end of the day.


Keep in mind that Ginn hasn't been playing WR that long. If I remember correctly, when he came to OSU was when he started playing WR. The same timeline happened with Roethlisberger. He just started playing QB at Miami (OH), he had never played the position before. So my guess is that if Roeth can pick up the QB position then Ginn should be able to pick up the WR position.


If Ronald Curry can pick up the WR position, then Ginn can definitely do it. Evidently it's not that hard. You just need speed and decent hands.


That is not true. You need to run routes well and have an understanding of the offense.


I know this. It was a joke aimed at Ronald Curry...I'm surprised he can do anything well because I lived through his disaster during my time at UNC.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 889
Joined: 22 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Faith, NC

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:55 pm

Curry is a great athlete, just never could luve up to the hype
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Postby CC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:08 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Curry is a great athlete, just never could luve up to the hype


It would be hard for anyone to live up to that hype, I'm pretty sure he was ranked the #1 recruit in basketball and football.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby aldridg6in » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:57 pm

CC wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Curry is a great athlete, just never could luve up to the hype


It would be hard for anyone to live up to that hype, I'm pretty sure he was ranked the #1 recruit in basketball and football.


CC, I think you're right about that. That's a lot of hype to live up to, but being a great athlete doesn't mean you'll be a great player.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 889
Joined: 22 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Faith, NC

Postby Kilroy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:30 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
VaderFin wrote:While I don't know Ginn's medical status at the game a sprained foot can EASILY be more then painful enough to not be able to play. Hell you can't walk sometimes if you sprain it bad enough.


You can't walk sometimes the day after or week after, you can always walk and even run on a sprain right after it happens. If anything it's going to hurt a lot less 15 minutes after it happens then it does 15 hours or one day.

Ok, but are you willing to run on a compromised foot and risk far more serious injuries when you're standing to lose a lot of money if you can't run really really fast? Didn't think so. And you can't run on a freshly sprained ankle all the time, depends on how bad of a sprain. If you completely tear the ligaments you aren't going to be able to run properly.


That's the point. He didn't care about OSU. All that he cared about was Ted Ginn. I wouldn't want that kind of person on my team.


No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about. As TBM said, every report I've read said Ginn wanted back in the game but the coaching staff nixed it. H**l, he had the best game of any Buckeye and he only played a minute. He has a lot to learn about being a WR, but he runs like a deer, and the NFL team that drafts him just solved any problems they may have had with a return guy. I keep hearing St. Louis has interest (their return game is awful, and The Reverend ain't gettin' any younger) in Ginn. You could do worse than Torry Holt as a mentor.

Troy Smith is the best QB that ever played at OSU, but the last thing I want to see is Cleveland going QB at 3/4. If Thomas is on the board they'll take him (God knows we need OL help). If not I hope they'll take Johnson (if he's there) or Peterson.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:14 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about. As TBM said, every report I've read said Ginn wanted back in the game but the coaching staff nixed it. H**l, he had the best game of any Buckeye and he only played a minute. He has a lot to learn about being a WR, but he runs like a deer, and the NFL team that drafts him just solved any problems they may have had with a return guy. I keep hearing St. Louis has interest (their return game is awful, and The Reverend ain't gettin' any younger) in Ginn. You could do worse than Torry Holt as a mentor.


So maybe I'm off base here, but what jumped out to me is the sequence of events. Ginn gets hurt. He goes into the locker room. He runs back onto the field. Then he doesn't come back into the game. If the trainers/coaching staff hadn't cleared him to play then why would he run back onto the field like that? If they said hey... you're too injured to come back into the game then why didn't they put the boot on him in the first half? I looked around for this but couldn't seem to find a story about the real reason he didn't come back into the game. Do you happen to have a link?
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1621
Joined: 1 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gainesville, FL

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:53 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact