Women who was Raped is arrested on old Warrant - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Women who was Raped is arrested on old Warrant

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dgan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:11 am

maddog60 wrote:I love how the woman's lawyer claims they stopped the investigation and you all believe it happened just like that. Its not at all possible to you that the cops who had her in their car took her back to the station for booking, while other cops kept going with the investigation.

As for the 2nd dose of the morning after pill, someone fouled up big time. But other than that, wow you guys have a lot of respect for this lawyer, and just believe his word as law, assuming the police were completely immoral. Kinda sad.

Exactly what I was thinking...but I wasn't sure how to say it. It's difficult to blame (or not blame) the officers when we only know one side of the story. The idea that you cannot prosecute one crime while investigating another is ludicrous. Certainly in the situation described, there should be a certain sensitivity to the most pressing issue - but I'm not going to just take the lawyer's word at face value that the officers failed to have such sensitivity. Terms such as "arrested" and "in jail" give the impression she was thrown crying into a dark cell. It could be she was in custody at a hospital. Who knows. That's why we have a court system for these types of things. It's called due justice.

I wish they would just report the facts of what is known to have happened instead of what people say about what happened...those remarks only belong in court. The media fuels all the controversy for ratings and money, compromises any potential trial, and gets all of you in a tizzy.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:19 am

maddog60 wrote:I love how the woman's lawyer claims they stopped the investigation and you all believe it happened just like that. Its not at all possible to you that the cops who had her in their car took her back to the station for booking, while other cops kept going with the investigation.

As for the 2nd dose of the morning after pill, someone fouled up big time. But other than that, wow you guys have a lot of respect for this lawyer, and just believe his word as law, assuming the police were completely immoral. Kinda sad.

EDIT: Also, this notion that her crimes were minor infractions, did any of you bother reading where they specified the charges? Grand-theft and burglary. That's not a parking ticket.

So when she was under 18 she broke into a house and stole something worth over $500. Its not a parking ticket, but it's not a horrible crime, and she has to pay it back and wasn't put in jail for it so they originally didn't think it was too bad.

I am from Tampa and heard about this before her lawyer got involved and what he is saying is pretty accurate, thats why i was defending the situation
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:35 am

deerayfan072 wrote:

EDIT: Also, this notion that her crimes were minor infractions, did any of you bother reading where they specified the charges? Grand-theft and burglary. That's not a parking ticket.

So when she was under 18 she broke into a house and stole something worth over $500. Its not a parking ticket, but it's not a horrible crime, and she has to pay it back and wasn't put in jail for it so they originally didn't think it was too bad.

I am from Tampa and heard about this before her lawyer got involved and what he is saying is pretty accurate, thats why i was defending the situation

The amount she owed was supposedly over $4,500... that ain't peanuts.

The cops screwed up, plain and simple. Here you have a person that requires policen intervention in two separate ways. 1) To help a rape victim, 2) To arrest her on an outstanding warrant. Which of these at the time held more importance? She wat the one who contacted the police. That makes it pretty obvious to me that she's not trying to run, meaning they'll have plenty of time to arrest her AFTER the rape investigation has been concluded. The cops didn't use their heads. The ONLY reason I can think of that would really warrant them arresting her before helping her would be if she was a dangerous fugitive. This was obviously not the case. As someone said before, even the department admits they screwed up. Not really sure what there is to debate.

Oh, and that story the girl's mother is pushing sounds like a load of bull. She has dollar signs in her eyes.
Last edited by josebach on Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:36 am

deerayfan072 wrote:

And I wouldn't have adamantly defended her if the police had not already admitted they were in the wrong. If I had only heard one side or the police had defended themselves, I might not have been so quick to judge. And I don't care what kind of offense she had in the past. It was years ago, she will pay for it, and it was not currently hurting anyone. The trauma, both physical and mental, should have been the policemen's focus. Then apprehending the rapist. When this is completed, remind the victim that she has a warrant out for her arrest and, just like the rapist will pay for his crime, she will now have to pay for hers.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:04 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

And I wouldn't have adamantly defended her if the police had not already admitted they were in the wrong. If I had only heard one side or the police had defended themselves, I might not have been so quick to judge. And I don't care what kind of offense she had in the past. It was years ago, she will pay for it, and it was not currently hurting anyone. The trauma, both physical and mental, should have been the policemen's focus. Then apprehending the rapist. When this is completed, remind the victim that she has a warrant out for her arrest and, just like the rapist will pay for his crime, she will now have to pay for hers.

So you are suggesting they should let her go and then arrest her?

That doesn't make much sense, you either got to give her the warrant on the spot, or drop it, and as for policemen, I could never see them allowing a criminal to go when they can easily arrest them.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

That doesn't make much sense, you either got to give her the warrant on the spot, or drop it, and as for policemen, I could never see them allowing a criminal to go when they can easily arrest them.

Since they're obviously going to follow up the rape investigation, they know where she lives, so they can execute the warrant later, or they could have asked her to turn herself in at the earliest possible time with her lawyer (as by turning herself in, she be would more likely to be released then if she were arrested). I don't know what Florida law is or possibly they could have even taken her before a judge in chambers (not in open court) and had her released under the circumstances on some type of promise to appear. It should be emphasized that the warrant was for a property offence and not for an attacks against person type of offence and thus allowing her to remain at large on the warrant does not pose an unnecessary risk to the public.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:16 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Since they're obviously going to follow up the rape investigation, they know where she lives, so they can execute the warrant later, or they could have asked her to turn herself in at the earliest possible time with her lawyer (as by turning herself in, she be would more likely to be released then if she were arrested). I don't know what Florida law is or possibly they could have even taken her before a judge in chambers (not in open court) and had her released under the circumstances on some type of promise to appear. It should be emphasized that the warrant was for a property offence and not for an attacks against person type of offence and thus allowing her to remain at large on the warrant does not pose an unnecessary risk to the public.

I don't know man, I really don't think a policeman could logically release someone, then arrest them.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:29 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

I don't know man, I really don't think a policeman could logically release someone, then arrest them.

Happens all the time - it's called discretion. As I said, they would emphasize to her that it would be better for her to turn herself in on the warrant with her lawyer than for them to have to come and arrest her as it would improve her chances of being released. And seeing as her crime was not a crime of violence, the police would not be second guessed on that decision given the circumstances.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:28 pm

stomperrob wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Happens all the time - it's called discretion. As I said, they would emphasize to her that it would be better for her to turn herself in on the warrant with her lawyer than for them to have to come and arrest her as it would improve her chances of being released. And seeing as her crime was not a crime of violence, the police would not be second guessed on that decision given the circumstances.

You may be right, but it is such a hard situation for the police...it is almost impossible for them to do what will be agreed on as right, because almost nothing will.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:30 am

Human error during the booking process – and not religious objections by a nurse - led to a rape victim not being given a second dose of emergency contraception last weekend when she should have, the jail commander of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday afternoon.

A three-day internal review by the sheriff’s office did not result in any reprimands or disciplinary action of any employee, Col. David Parrish said. It was instead a case of human error, he added.

The 21-year-old Temple Terrace woman ended up behind bars after telling Tampa police she was raped Saturday afternoon during Gasparilla festivities. She was taken to jail when police discovered she was wanted on a felony warrant related to unpaid restitution in an auto theft case from her teenage years.

Tampa police apologized to the woman Tuesday and announced a change in their policies to give officers more discretion when it comes to arresting victims of crime they have learned were wanted on warrants.

But no changes will be forthcoming in sheriff’s office policies, Parrish said at a Thursday afternoon news conference.

“We have a good procedure in place,’’ the jail commander said.

When an inmate is booked, all of his or her medication is put in a property box and a nurse would typically examine the contents of that box, Parrish explained.

A deputy helping out Saturday, when 166 people were booked, took the box and put it into the property room before the nurse could check the contents.

As soon as jail workers found out the woman had the medication, they gave it to her. Parrish did not say how much later it was administered
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk