What are bloggers really like??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What are bloggers really like???

Moderator: Football Moderators

What are bloggers really like???

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:10 pm

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2007
Calgary author says bloggers a lonely bunch unlikely to change the world

CALGARY (CP) - Bloggers are living in a world where emotions may be real but everything else is make-believe, says a University of Calgary professor in a new book.

Blogs, short for web logs, are everywhere on the Internet these days and often reveal the innermost feelings of individuals who hate their jobs, activists with a political cause or even angst-ridden teenagers in the throes of first love.

The popularity of sites such as MySpace.com, which contains virtually thousands of blogs, is a testament to the world of self-expression.

But Michael Keren, who has written "Blogosphere: The New Political Arena," suggests individuals who bare their souls in blogs are isolated and lonely, living in a virtual reality instead of forming real relationships or helping to change the world.

"Bloggers think of themselves as rebels against mainstream society, but that rebellion is mostly confined to cyberspace, which makes blogging as melancholic and illusionary as Don Quixote tilting at windmills," the author says.

Keren, who teaches in the faculty of communication and culture, spoke to reporters Tuesday at The Loft, a student cybercafe at the university, where many students were busily typing away on laptops - perhaps updating blogs of their own.

"In this world of blogging, which the whole world can read, you have a personal expectation about a readership that's just not there for the millions of bloggers who are writing their personal feelings."

Keren praises the Internet as a great place for self-expression, but he also suggests that blogs often have the opposite effect by creating feelings of loneliness for those who aren't lucky enough to reach "celebrity" status.

"Many of us end up like Father McKenzie in the 'Eleanor Rigby' Beatles song, who is writing a sermon that no one is going to hear," he suggests. "Some of us are going to be embraced by the mainstream media, but the majority of us remain in the dark, remain in the loneliness."

In his book, Keren follows the blogs of nine individuals, including a Canadian woman living in the woods in a cabin in Quebec. She discusses her identity through stories about her two cats.

"One day one of the cats dies and the whole blogosphere becomes crazy about the death of this cat, and what happens is she gets a community of support which is not real.

"These are people with nicknames who express enormous support, but they can disappear in the next minute and they are not real, and she remains lonely in the end."

Keren's view of the blogosphere is not shared by everyone.

"That's harsh," declared Arian Hopkins, 36, of Calgary, who has a spot on MySpace.com.

Hopkins said the web, along with community portals and blogsites, has become a great tool for Generation Y to spout on everything from "how much they hate their mom to the best show that is out there."

Saying bloggers are lonely and living in a make-believe world is unfair, she said.

"I don't think it's based on these poor people who are so lonely and sad. I don't think that's really fair because it's being used in all sorts of mediums," said Hopkins, a business analyst for TransCanada Pipelines.

Living in a make-believe world can help some people deal with loneliness, she suggested.

"There are these crazy relationships that are happening online from people getting to know people through their blogs. Who cares if they're not real people?" said the mother of three.

"Bloggers tend to be a little more extrove rted. They say, 'I have a story and want you to hear it.' It's kind of like my story is as important as everybody else's."

Fellow blogger Peter Leveque agrees.

"I would disagree with anyone whose thesis is that people who blog are lonely outcasts," the Calgary lawyer wrote in an e-mail.

"I expect bloggers are like everyone else and come from all walks of life with all sorts of different interests.

"But what do I know? Not much likely."

© The Canadian Press, 2007

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:24 pm

Lucky for me I only go write in forums. Poor Bloggers and thier meaningless lives.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:34 pm

What a bunch of losers spending so much time online O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:38 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:Lucky for me I only go write in forums. Poor Bloggers and thier meaningless lives.

Yeah. Those poor saps. :-°
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:42 pm

how about people feel like writing about themselves or subjects in an online enviroment? the fact that EVERYTHING in society has to be broken down and nitpicked is exhausting.
Last edited by The Miner Part 2 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:09 pm

anyone shocked by this whackos revleation 8-o
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Maybe we should get together and write a book about how removed from the real world university professors are! :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:00 pm

knapplc wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:Lucky for me I only go write in forums. Poor Bloggers and thier meaningless lives.

I feel bad for 'em. :-°

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:53 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I feel bad for 'em. :-°

I don't. Most blogs are just loserish. Of course forums are not though ;-)
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bravos of Steel » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:36 pm

ouch, don't throw stones, Professor :-b
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk