Verizon DSL question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Verizon DSL question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:06 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Make sure you have a decent router that masks your address. Most have firewalls built in. $29.95 gets you ample technology from Linksys. As far as setting it up it's almost as easy as plugging in the wires and connecting it to your computer. The beauty of plug-and-play. most come with a CD of installation software and directions in how to access settings and stuff. (Usually though a web browser, all you have to do is type in your routers IP and wala.)

As far as virus software, I actually tend to recommend the free 3rd party sweepers. Ad-Aware is a must but that's for spyware. For a virus scanner I'd go with Panda It's a much less known antivirus program which is exactly what you want. They used to be totally free but I'm pretty sure it's a one time purchase instead of the constant renewal crud you have to go through with NOrton and Macafee. (Either way it should be cheaper)

My Moms computer got hit hard 2 years ago. The virus was programmed to crap Norton totally out and keep it from running at all even in SAFE MODE. Lost too much data it was sad. All from downloading a simple .com file. In fact com files usually contain antivirus stuff used by Norton and Macafee which is probably what the email said. "Urgent patch needed for your norton blah blah... download and run this patch!!" People send out emails trying to look like some Norton Exec. It's crazy.

I would not trust Verizon security. But I like to do everything on my own just so I know exactly whats going on. In this case the $4.99 might be worth it.

That happened to me too, about 8 years ago. I used to have Norton, and everything was fine until a virus hit it. My computer was going all nuts, and Norton was coming up clean. Finally, I went out and bought TrendMicro's software and it found 3 viruses (or virii?) inside Norton. Nowadays, I use AVG and the free scans from PandaSoft and TrendMicro. There's a lot of good alternatives out there that don't require the monthly subscription fees.

But something to consider for later, is to buy a Mac for your grandma. Eliminates all sorts of potential problems with just one overpriced purchase.
(Ugh, I feel dirty for having recommended a Mac. !+) )

My wife and I mentioned a MAC to the family but was shot down since no one in the family has used a MAC and wouldn't know where to start if she had problems. :*)
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:32 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Make sure you have a decent router that masks your address. Most have firewalls built in. $29.95 gets you ample technology from Linksys. As far as setting it up it's almost as easy as plugging in the wires and connecting it to your computer. The beauty of plug-and-play. most come with a CD of installation software and directions in how to access settings and stuff. (Usually though a web browser, all you have to do is type in your routers IP and wala.)

As far as virus software, I actually tend to recommend the free 3rd party sweepers. Ad-Aware is a must but that's for spyware. For a virus scanner I'd go with Panda It's a much less known antivirus program which is exactly what you want. They used to be totally free but I'm pretty sure it's a one time purchase instead of the constant renewal crud you have to go through with NOrton and Macafee. (Either way it should be cheaper)

My Moms computer got hit hard 2 years ago. The virus was programmed to crap Norton totally out and keep it from running at all even in SAFE MODE. Lost too much data it was sad. All from downloading a simple .com file. In fact com files usually contain antivirus stuff used by Norton and Macafee which is probably what the email said. "Urgent patch needed for your norton blah blah... download and run this patch!!" People send out emails trying to look like some Norton Exec. It's crazy.

I would not trust Verizon security. But I like to do everything on my own just so I know exactly whats going on. In this case the $4.99 might be worth it.

That happened to me too, about 8 years ago. I used to have Norton, and everything was fine until a virus hit it. My computer was going all nuts, and Norton was coming up clean. Finally, I went out and bought TrendMicro's software and it found 3 viruses (or virii?) inside Norton. Nowadays, I use AVG and the free scans from PandaSoft and TrendMicro. There's a lot of good alternatives out there that don't require the monthly subscription fees.

But something to consider for later, is to buy a Mac for your grandma. Eliminates all sorts of potential problems with just one overpriced purchase.
(Ugh, I feel dirty for having recommended a Mac. !+) )

My wife and I mentioned a MAC to the family but was shot down since no one in the family has used a MAC and wouldn't know where to start if she had problems. :*)

Didn't you hear?? With Macs, you never have problems. The good thing is that in the slim chance that you ever do, you don't have to fix it. Just throw it away and get a new Mac. :-D

Not trying to start a PC vs. Mac debate.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk