Heisman winners in the HoF - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Heisman winners in the HoF

Moderator: Football Moderators

Heisman winners in the HoF

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:04 pm

With the pro HoF announcements coming this Saturday, I was taking a look and noticed that of the 72 winners of the Heisman, only 8 have made it into the HoF. Can you name them???

They are OJ Simpson, Roger Staubach, Paul Hornung, Doak Walker, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen and Barry Sanders.

http://www.heisman.com/winners/hsmn-win ... nners-year

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/story ... ry_id=1992
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:29 pm

Wow, I would have thought there would be more than that.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:06 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Wow, I would have thought there would be more than that.

I wouldn't. It never really seems that the best "player" wins the award. It is whose team is the best and also who got the most publicity. I would say there are more busts than great players who win the heisman. Also, just b/c you are successful in College doesn't mean you will be in the pros
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aldridg6in » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:45 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Wow, I would have thought there would be more than that.

I wouldn't. It never really seems that the best "player" wins the award. It is whose team is the best and also who got the most publicity. I would say there are more busts than great players who win the heisman. Also, just b/c you are successful in College doesn't mean you will be in the pros

Ask any Florida Gator QB about that last statement :-b .

Seriously, I figured the number would be higher than 8 but not that much higher. I've seen enough Heisman winners bust in my lifetime to know not many of them turn out to be great pros.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:47 pm

aldridg6in wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Seriously, I figured the number would be higher than 8 but not that much higher. I've seen enough Heisman winners bust in my lifetime to know not many of them turn out to be great pros.

Ask any UF offensive player that played under Spurrier
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:31 am

aldridg6in wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Like the one playing in the Super Bowl??? :b
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:42 am

Some of them, like Charlie Ward, never even played pro ball (although he was able to chose basketball). Others only lasted a season or two, lacking either the physical skills (or size), or mental toughness, for the pro game. Some Heisman winners were never expected to make it in the pro's, and there were some "can't miss" stars like 2-time winner Archie Grffin and USC wonder Charles White who accomplished little as pro's.
Last edited by stomperrob on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:55 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Spurrier - ya mean that Heisman winner the Gators turned out in 1966??? Whatever became of him? ;-7 ;-) :-b :-D
stomperrob

Postby ShoelessJoe » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:40 pm

stomperrob wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Spurrier - ya mean that Heisman winner the Gators turned out in 1966??? Whatever became of him? ;-7 ;-) :-b :-D

In 1976 he was the starting QB for the Bucs who didn't win a game. Beat that!
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:36 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

In 1976 he was the starting QB for the Bucs who didn't win a game. Beat that!

Lol! ;-D
stomperrob

Next

Return to College Football