Yes
33%
No
39%
Who cares?!?!?
28%

Total votes : 18

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:21 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Personally I think playing Mozart or classical music for your babies is just asking for them to get a beatdown when they grow older. Kids tend to form their "taste" in music and such at an early age, and if you make your kid a classical-music weenie they're gonna get beats when they come out of the closet at such a young age !+)

I'm sorry, but that's pretty silly. You going to not expose your kid to museums or encourage him to do bad in science and math class too? All for the sake of him being "cool"?

I grew up listening to classical music and I never got a beat down. I also didn't JUST listen to classical music either. Kids are exposed to and listen to all kinds of music. Why would he only listen to classical? Do you ONLY listen to any one type of music?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:24 pm

stomperrob wrote:The type of parents that would do this for their babies are no doubt the type of parents that do other things to encourage the intellectual development of their babies and so yes, there are no doubt positive results shown as a result but not solely due to the music - IMO.

I'd say stomper's view is what I most agree with. Parents who'll do something like this to stimulate their kid's brain will likely be more inclined to expose their kid to a wide range of stuff in order to find something that works. Kind of like the theory about throwing a whole bunch of crap on the wall to see what sticks. Bombard your kid with a bunch of stimuli and something is bound to pique his/her interest.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:25 pm

josebach wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:Personally I think playing Mozart or classical music for your babies is just asking for them to get a beatdown when they grow older. Kids tend to form their "taste" in music and such at an early age, and if you make your kid a classical-music weenie they're gonna get beats when they come out of the closet at such a young age !+)

I'm sorry, but that's pretty silly. You going to not expose your kid to museums or encourage him to do bad in science and math class too? All for the sake of him being "cool"?

I grew up listening to classical music and I never got a beat down. I also didn't JUST listen to classical music either. Kids are exposed to and listen to all kinds of music. Why would he only listen to classical? Do you ONLY listen to any one type of music?

I agree. ;-D

Just because you listen to classical music doesn't mean that's all you listen to or anything.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:26 pm

josebach wrote:I'm sorry, but that's pretty silly. You going to not expose your kid to museums or encourage him to do bad in science and math class too? All for the sake of him being "cool"?

Sorry JB - guess I didn't use the proper (or proper amount of) smilies in my statement - SILLY is exactly what I was aiming for with that statement...

That being said, math and museums are geeky, not gay, so they're in a totally different league :-b :-] }:-) :-) :-? :-B (get it this time? LOL)

josebach wrote:I grew up listening to classical music and I never got a beat down.

Maybe not, but look how you turned out in the end too - not exactly a poster-child for Mozart = More Smart :-b :-] }:-) :-) :-? :-B
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:00 am

lmcjaho wrote:Maybe not, but look how you turned out in the end too - not exactly a poster-child for Mozart = More Smart :-b :-] }:-) :-) :-? :-B

Well, you got me there. Then again, if it wasn't for classical, I'd be even dumber than I already am, so there.

Guess I told you. B-) 8-o :-?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Kilroy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:10 am

If classical music makes kids smarter I can only imagine what the friggin' Wiggles are doing for the intellectual development of today's little ones.

Ladies and Gents, may I present....The Morons of Tomorrow.

:-B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:37 am

Does it actually make a child more intelligent? No. Can it assist in their development? Probably. We had them when our kid was younger, but it was mainly just because those were far and away better than the other crap out there, not to make our kid a supergenious or anything. I'll tell you what makes your kid "smarter".....time. Simple as that. Read to your kids and have them read to you. As simple as that sounds, it works.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:53 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Does it actually make a child more intelligent? No. Can it assist in their development? Probably. We had them when our kid was younger, but it was mainly just because those were far and away better than the other crap out there, not to make our kid a supergenious or anything. I'll tell you what makes your kid "smarter".....time. Simple as that. Read to your kids and have them read to you. As simple as that sounds, it works.

Yeah, I agree. Basically, parents need to take an active role in educating their children and not rely on the school system. I feel that music education is a part of this. Where it may not be proven one way or the other whether listening to classical music makes you any smarter, it HAS pretty much been proven that learning to play an instrument makes you smarter and a kid is a whole lot more likely to want to play an instrument if they like and are familiar with the music they're going to be taught. Lets face it, there's not a lot of modern music being taught in advanced music lessons.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:30 am

i misread the question...i meant Yes
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:35 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i misread the question...i meant Yes

Yeah, the post basically asked if it was Valid and the Poll asked if it was bogus. Kind of confusing. I almost picked "yes" until I read the poll question again.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk