Super Bowl Commentary - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Super Bowl Commentary

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:19 pm

I really think that the playcalling was horrendous for the Bears. They simply played right into what Indy wants to do defensively by running all those short passing plays. That's exactly what the cover 2 defense wants you to do, they keep you in front of them and make tackles. Losing Benson certainly hurt them a ton, but I really think that even if he did play all game that Chicago would have struggled to move the ball much. Thing is that Grossman didn't scare the Indy defense one bit, without that fear that he could actually hurt them, all Indy had to do was stop the run and the game was over.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:24 pm

mattb47 wrote:I really think that the playcalling was horrendous for the Bears. They simply played right into what Indy wants to do defensively by running all those short passing plays. That's exactly what the cover 2 defense wants you to do, they keep you in front of them and make tackles. Losing Benson certainly hurt them a ton, but I really think that even if he did play all game that Chicago would have struggled to move the ball much. Thing is that Grossman didn't scare the Indy defense one bit, without that fear that he could actually hurt them, all Indy had to do was stop the run and the game was over.


Agreed.

I was thinking while watching the game that Chicago should have put in some misdirection plays in order to keep the defense a little more honest in their coverage. I'll be honest, I was a bit drunk going into the second half but I don't remember too many play action passes from Chicago either.

It just seemed like they were resigned to playing it out as scripted instead of recognizing the difficulties Rex was having. An end around (maybe with Hester in at offense) would have created a little more uncertainty even if it were faked, don't you think?
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Postby knapplc » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:32 pm

Good stuff, guys. The playcalling was uninspired, and Indy was up to the task to stop whatever the Bears were doing. There was no creativity and no real attempts were made to adjust to what the Colts were (successfully) doing against them.

This wasn't a horrible game, but it could have been a lot better had the Bears been more aggressive on defense and offense.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:34 pm

biju wrote:
mattb47 wrote:I really think that the playcalling was horrendous for the Bears. They simply played right into what Indy wants to do defensively by running all those short passing plays. That's exactly what the cover 2 defense wants you to do, they keep you in front of them and make tackles. Losing Benson certainly hurt them a ton, but I really think that even if he did play all game that Chicago would have struggled to move the ball much. Thing is that Grossman didn't scare the Indy defense one bit, without that fear that he could actually hurt them, all Indy had to do was stop the run and the game was over.


Agreed.

I was thinking while watching the game that Chicago should have put in some misdirection plays in order to keep the defense a little more honest in their coverage. I'll be honest, I was a bit drunk going into the second half but I don't remember too many play action passes from Chicago either.

It just seemed like they were resigned to playing it out as scripted instead of recognizing the difficulties Rex was having. An end around (maybe with Hester in at offense) would have created a little more uncertainty even if it were faked, don't you think?


Yea, I agree. I know they talked early on during the game that Lovie was planning on just playing straight up smashmouth football without the trick plays and things. When I heard that I knew they were in trouble because if Indy is good at anything, it is being able to take away something they know the other team is going to do. Just didn't understand why they didn't try to catch the Indy defense offguard more than they did.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:19 pm

treat24 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:
knapplc wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:Man, Grossman was absolutely awful. I may have cut him some slack until he missed Berrian up the middle and got picked. That was just plain pathetic. If the Bears desire any shot at winning they need to get another QB. Rex is obviously not the answer.


Yea....because it's impossible for him to ever get any better....seeing as how this was his first year as a starter.... :-?

I had a big reply to Bobbing typed up and it got eaten. The short story is that Grossman is basically a rookie with three years’ of injury experience. It’s not like he’s been healthy during those other years, so he could be in practice and progressing – he’s been in the training room the whole time, looking at playbooks.

They guy may never be a good NFL QB, but he’s shown flashes of not just good play but out-and-out brilliance this year – enough to make me think he needs another season or two before we pronounce judgment on him.


Meh. I say he's been given the opportunity and failed to grab it. Look at Big Ben. May have been a slightly different situation but he produced big and he was young. Maybe Grossman has talent in him but he is showing nothing right now.

If you choose to look at the glass as half full that’s your prerogative, but I’m more of a realist I guess. One player winning the Super Bowl as a rookie does not make a trend – it’s an anomaly, nothing more. Roethlisberger had a healthy defense on the other side of the ball and faced a Seahawks team that wasn’t up to the same caliber as Grossman faced last night. And if you want further reasons about how Big Ben won that game, just ask a Seahawks fan about the other “benefitsâ€
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 160)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:29 pm

treat24 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:
knapplc wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:Man, Grossman was absolutely awful. I may have cut him some slack until he missed Berrian up the middle and got picked. That was just plain pathetic. If the Bears desire any shot at winning they need to get another QB. Rex is obviously not the answer.


Yea....because it's impossible for him to ever get any better....seeing as how this was his first year as a starter.... :-?

I had a big reply to Bobbing typed up and it got eaten. The short story is that Grossman is basically a rookie with three years’ of injury experience. It’s not like he’s been healthy during those other years, so he could be in practice and progressing – he’s been in the training room the whole time, looking at playbooks.

They guy may never be a good NFL QB, but he’s shown flashes of not just good play but out-and-out brilliance this year – enough to make me think he needs another season or two before we pronounce judgment on him.


Meh. I say he's been given the opportunity and failed to grab it. Look at Big Ben. May have been a slightly different situation but he produced big and he was young. Maybe Grossman has talent in him but he is showing nothing right now.

If you choose to look at the glass as half full that’s your prerogative, but I’m more of a realist I guess. One player winning the Super Bowl as a rookie does not make a trend – it’s an anomaly, nothing more. Roethlisberger had a healthy defense on the other side of the ball and faced a Seahawks team that wasn’t up to the same caliber as Grossman faced last night. And if you want further reasons about how Big Ben won that game, just ask a Seahawks fan about the other “benefitsâ€
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FBBVirgin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:24 pm

I want to talk about 2 things.

1.) The Bears blew a HUGE chance to take control of the game early. After Hester's return, and then Peyton's INT, the Bears would have set the tone for the game with points of any kind. By not scoring there, you let the Colts, and more importantly Peyton Manning, back into the game.

2.) Here's my take on Grossman. They won't and shouldn't give up on him. But that doesn't mean if an opportunity arises that you should pass. It's a long shot, but I would like to see the Bears take a long look at Matt Shaub (sp?). I think he would be a perfect fit in the Bears offense.

While it may be a different story if he gets 1st string reps, I honestly don't see Brian Griese as the answer. Orton will never be a starting QB in the league (IMO), so if you really want to challenge Grossman, bring in someone like Shaub.

I really don't want the Bears to use any early picks on a QB.
FBBVirgin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 829
Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:15 pm

I agree with Shaub excelling with Chicago. Although, I'm not going to blame the entire loss with Rex, it was 85% his fault. Either way hats off to the Colts. ;-D
Image


Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 12770
Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Having a coffee at the fantasy cafe.

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:29 pm

mrblitz wrote:I agree with Shaub excelling with Chicago. Although, I'm not going to blame the entire loss with Rex, it was 85% his fault. Either way hats off to the Colts. ;-D


I agree that he would excel there, but I don't see any way the Falcons give him up.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:36 pm

Funny stuff after the game, and I don't know if it happened in any other markets, but NBC5 Chicago had a scrolling feed down at the bottom of their post-SB newscast that was a bunch of text messages about the SB. Most of the texts were basically calling Rex Grossman trash, but there were some hilarious stuff scrolling across.


Anyways, Schaub to Chicago makes a lot of sense. Which is why I'd say that it will never happen. Chicago would be unwilling to cough up the necessary draft pick for him, and Atlanta will probably be unwilling to give up their Vick safety net for anything reasonable.

I've also read about an odd rumor being spread around on the Bears message board. Some guy said he heard on the Dan Patrick Show that McNabb could be traded to Chicago. I've got very little faith that this rumor could be true, but it is intriguing.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5971
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:08 hours
(and 41 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact