Super Bowl Commentary - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Super Bowl Commentary

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Metroid » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:56 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Funny stuff after the game, and I don't know if it happened in any other markets, but NBC5 Chicago had a scrolling feed down at the bottom of their post-SB newscast that was a bunch of text messages about the SB. Most of the texts were basically calling Rex Grossman trash, but there were some hilarious stuff scrolling across.

Anyways, Schaub to Chicago makes a lot of sense. Which is why I'd say that it will never happen. Chicago would be unwilling to cough up the necessary draft pick for him, and Atlanta will probably be unwilling to give up their Vick safety net for anything reasonable.

I've also read about an odd rumor being spread around on the Bears message board. Some guy said he heard on the Dan Patrick Show that McNabb could be traded to Chicago. I've got very little faith that this rumor could be true, but it is intriguing.

No way the Eagles give up McNabb. Now Garcia on the other hand....
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FBBVirgin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:51 pm

HMMM. Very interesting. Now, I know its just a rumor, and most likely will never happen, but lets take a look at McNabb to Chicago...

The Bears have the $$ room to afford him. Philly might not be in love with him as much as everyone thinks. He gets hurt every year. He hasn't been able to win it with them. They just might be thinking about drafting a young QB to learn under Garcia for a year or two.

Now, before you start calling me a moron, let me also state that I don't think there's a chance this happens.

But usually with superstars like Donovan, they need to demand a trade for this to happen. Wouldn't it make sense for him to want to end his career in his home state?

Anyways, just take this post as me trying to find a way it happens!
FBBVirgin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Metroid » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:55 pm

FBBVirgin wrote:HMMM. Very interesting. Now, I know its just a rumor, and most likely will never happen, but lets take a look at McNabb to Chicago...

The Bears have the $$ room to afford him. Philly might not be in love with him as much as everyone thinks. He gets hurt every year. He hasn't been able to win it with them. They just might be thinking about drafting a young QB to learn under Garcia for a year or two.

Now, before you start calling me a moron, let me also state that I don't think there's a chance this happens.

But usually with superstars like Donovan, they need to demand a trade for this to happen. Wouldn't it make sense for him to want to end his career in his home state?

Nah you're not an idiot and actually make some good points. I still dont think it will happen but now that I think about it it does seem plausable. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:05 pm

FBBVirgin wrote:HMMM. Very interesting. Now, I know its just a rumor, and most likely will never happen, but lets take a look at McNabb to Chicago...

But Philly is in love with him, and while you will always hear that outspoken know-it-all (same guys who chanted Feeley in the 2003 opener in Philly), McNabb is the franchise. Moreover, he's recently spoken to the media and stated he'd want to end his career having played for just one team.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:22 pm

I've had 24 hrs to digest Super Bowl XLI. Here are my thoughts.

1) MVP should have gone to Addai(spelling) and Rhodes. Not Manning. IMO it was what the RBs did that won the game for them, not Manning. He did have his part but the RBs should have been co-MVPs.

2) Rex is not a good QB by any means, but if you go back like people have said and look at Brees or even Hasslebeck. The teams were giving up on them when they finally matured. Give him time. This was his first year as a starter. It takes 3 years, most of the time, to become a decent starter. If Chicago can maintain the level of defense they have now for a few more years, they will be unstoppable.

3) This was, IMO, the worst Super Bowl in a long time. As a stated earlier I fell asleep during the 2nd quarter. How the heck do you fall asleep during the Super Bowl? Maybe it had something to do with the weather. But I was more interested in playing with the dog than I was in watching the game.

4) The first Super Bowl ever to be rained on, about time. I can't believe it took 41 years for that to happen. I know they pick "warm" climates to have a Super Bowl, unless you have a dome (Detroit). Even warm weather cities have winter. They may not get freezing cold temps like most of the county has right now, but they get rain. I know this is a wet dream of mine but the league should abandon the idea the Super Bowl can only be played in warm climates. They should either play them all indoors, which most of us would not like, or rotate the Super Bowl from team to team.

5) I read that by the second half, many seats were empty. Out of all the people I heard that were asked why they left early, only one had a good excuse, his child was sick and keeping him in the rain was not helping. All the other reasons sucked. If you get Super Bowl tickets and don't plan on staying in your seat for the entire game then don't go. Give them to a true fan. They are thousands if not millions of Colts or Bears fans that would have given their first born to go to the game and would have stayed the entire game, regardless of then weather.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:16 pm

SeaWolf wrote:I've had 24 hrs to digest Super Bowl XLI. Here are my thoughts.

1) MVP should have gone to Addai(spelling) and Rhodes. Not Manning. IMO it was what the RBs did that won the game for them, not Manning. He did have his part but the RBs should have been co-MVPs.

2) Rex is not a good QB by any means, but if you go back like people have said and look at Brees or even Hasslebeck. The teams were giving up on them when they finally matured. Give him time. This was his first year as a starter. It takes 3 years, most of the time, to become a decent starter. If Chicago can maintain the level of defense they have now for a few more years, they will be unstoppable.

3) This was, IMO, the worst Super Bowl in a long time. As a stated earlier I fell asleep during the 2nd quarter. How the heck do you fall asleep during the Super Bowl? Maybe it had something to do with the weather. But I was more interested in playing with the dog than I was in watching the game.

4) The first Super Bowl ever to be rained on, about time. I can't believe it took 41 years for that to happen. I know they pick "warm" climates to have a Super Bowl, unless you have a dome (Detroit). Even warm weather cities have winter. They may not get freezing cold temps like most of the county has right now, but they get rain. I know this is a wet dream of mine but the league should abandon the idea the Super Bowl can only be played in warm climates. They should either play them all indoors, which most of us would not like, or rotate the Super Bowl from team to team.

5) I read that by the second half, many seats were empty. Out of all the people I heard that were asked why they left early, only one had a good excuse, his child was sick and keeping him in the rain was not helping. All the other reasons sucked. If you get Super Bowl tickets and don't plan on staying in your seat for the entire game then don't go. Give them to a true fan. They are thousands if not millions of Colts or Bears fans that would have given their first born to go to the game and would have stayed the entire game, regardless of then weather.

The league did discuss this a year or two back and were/are(?) considering it - I know they talked about having it in Giants Stadium. One good thing about having it in cold weather stadiums is that there might be less of the "hangers-on" wanting to go and more tickets available for the real fans! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:41 pm

stomperrob wrote:

The league did discuss this a year or two back and were/are(?) considering it - I know they talked about having it in Giants Stadium. One good thing about having it in cold weather stadiums is that there might be less of the "hangers-on" wanting to go and more tickets available for the real fans! ;-D

That's the problem. Us real fans would not leave a game if it was raining or cold. Those corporate corpses don't care about the game, they are there cause they can.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:59 pm

Ha, fat chance. Chicago isn't gonna get many more shots with this stellar D. Briggs and Johnson are both set to become free agents this year and who knows if they can hold that team together while they wait for Grossman to magically turn into that star QB they need him to turn into. If Chicago's smart they snag a FA QB or draft one and push for a superbowl next year. They don't have time to baby Rex through his first several season.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:06 am

Just read this on-line. I agree with about 80% of the things this guys said. Dan Wetzel

Here is a taste.

Then again, the demand for hotel rooms and airline seats from corporate packages, pseudo celebs and wealthy fun seekers was so great that most good spots, no matter how overpriced, were snatched up long before the participants of the game were announced.

While the NFL loves the decadence and unbridled commerce that surrounds the game, it doesn't do much for real football fans. South Beach, the hub of activity this week, was virtually devoid of actual fans, replaced by outrageous largesse and the vapid party set. It might be nice that there are booming dance clubs there, but when it costs $3,000 to get a small table, who exactly got to enjoy them?

Most Bears and Colts fans were stuck in outskirt, suburban hotels, minus either the cash or the connections to get close to the glamour. For too many people at the Super Bowl, the game was of no concern.

Say what you want about past locations such as Detroit and Houston, but there is something positive about real fans overrunning a city and having access to the full experience, not stuck outside a velvet rope.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

Postby loganberries » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:15 pm

Good article. There's been a good deal of talk here in Indiana as of late of Indy hosting the Superbowl in a few years. If you've ever been to a basketball Final 4 here, Indy does it up very well. Lots to do downtown for kids and adults as well. The main drawback being the weather here in February. Once we get the new stadium, I think Indy will be a very attractive venue for the Superbowl.
loganberries
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting