Why the Bears lost the SB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why the Bears lost the SB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Metroid » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:27 pm

SniperShot wrote:I don't know if it was all Rex to blame but I do blame 80% of the Bears loss on their offense. Their defense held the Colts to 22 points. (7 on that INT reception for the Colts made it 29)

That's not a bad day vs the Colts offense in my book.

The key times when the Bears got the ball back and really needed to do something on offense to at least give their defense a rest, they would go 3 and out. It was insane and rather sad how bad their offense looked 3/4 of the game. Sure they had a couple of nice plays. (All the momentum early especially with that 52yd run by Jones and TD pass to Moose.)

But overall in dire times the offense just couldn't get it done.

Totally agree. ;-D

The Bears had decided before the game not to let Peyton beat them deep which is what most teams would have done. And they did a pretty good job as Sniper said allowing only 22 points and if you take that one deep pass to Wayne that was mental mistake on the safety thats only 15. Pretty freaking good against the Colts. I do agree they should have made some adjustments with Indy running so well but really the bad play on offense was why the Bears lost the game. If you take away that opening return by Hester the Bears scored 10 points. 10 points against the Colts!?!?! That aint gonna get it done. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby saundman2000 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:27 pm

I give the credit almost entirely to the Colts D. They were the real MVPs.

If I had to give my Superbowl game ball out, It would be to Bob Sanders. Seriously, he was personally responsible for 2 or 3 of the Bears turnovers.

Grossman got pressured pretty consistently, so the D-Line of the Colts did a good job with their pass rush. When Grossman gets pressured, history shows that he gets rattled and that's exactly what happened.

Manning did a good job managing the game, but never really had to carry the load. Addai and Rhodes did a great job of running hard and protecting the ball.

I'm a Bear fan and I'm dissappointed in Rex. He's never had my confidence. I knew no lead was safe in this game and that if the Bears got behind, it was pretty much over. So no surprises, this is pretty much what every Bear fan was afraid of going in.

The big surprise was that the Colts laid the lumber on many occasions. That is what surprised me. I thought their D was a little soft. Not so...
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:28 pm

On a vaguely related note...

What do Peyton Manning and Rex Grossman have in common?

...wait for it...

Neither will be starting for Chicago next year!

*bah dum chiss*

(Yeah, I know that was incredibly corny.)
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shasty mcnasty » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:57 pm

Watching the game, i couldn't help but think that the Bears coaches gave up on the run too easily. I think their per run avg. were pretty decent, even if you take out that 50 yard run by Jones. I can't see why you wouldn't run it more often against that defense. Especially on that 2nd and one, what was it in the 3rd quarter? Just pound it for another 1st down, instead of putting the game in Rex's hands. There are lots of viable reasons:

1. Colts are the better team (definitely true)
2. Bears D allowing too many long drives (true, although in alot of respects, the didn't let Manning beat them)
3. Rex isn't very good (obviously true)

But i guess i feel that if they had run the ball more, you would maybe have limited the Rex effect, while giving your D more chance to rest. Would it be enough to overcome the fact that the Colts are simply better? Not sure. But as I see it, the Bear's best chance to win this game was to run that ball like there was no tomorrow. I just didn't see that happen.
shasty mcnasty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:07 pm

kind of hard not to blame it on Rex here. That was a LOT of turnovers, and they were some really bad decisions. This game could have been WAY worse had the bears d not played well.

I know sometimes the praise/blame dynamic is exagerrated to the point of absurdity in terms of QBs. But the fact is, he has a disproprotional ability to affect the game. and the one thing you can't do on offense is turn it over like that. When the offense isn't clicking, its usually the Qb's fault. When it isn't clicking because the Qb is chucking it up there and putting it on the ground, a loss is definitely his fault.

Its a team game, and there are a few reasons they lost, but he is the most significant reason. How many absymal games has he had? When he has a stinker, he REALLY has a stinker.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:10 pm

shasty mcnasty wrote:Watching the game, i couldn't help but think that the Bears coaches gave up on the run too easily. I think their per run avg. were pretty decent, even if you take out that 50 yard run by Jones. I can't see why you wouldn't run it more often against that defense. Especially on that 2nd and one, what was it in the 3rd quarter? Just pound it for another 1st down, instead of putting the game in Rex's hands. There are lots of viable reasons:

1. Colts are the better team (definitely true)
2. Bears D allowing too many long drives (true, although in alot of respects, the didn't let Manning beat them)
3. Rex isn't very good (obviously true)

But i guess i feel that if they had run the ball more, you would maybe have limited the Rex effect, while giving your D more chance to rest. Would it be enough to overcome the fact that the Colts are simply better? Not sure. But as I see it, the Bear's best chance to win this game was to run that ball like there was no tomorrow. I just didn't see that happen.

And how odd was it that on 2nd and 1, with your D having been on the field forever and the game somehow still close, you decide to pass instead of run, get the 1st down and keep the D off the field. Lovey was totally out-coached, but mostly I think it was out of his own arrogance. The same reason the Rex the wonder dog was still his starting QB and not Greasy. Stubborn arrogance.
I have to say that I have never been as unimpressed by an SB MVP than with Peyton. He looked shakey and had the Bears concentrated on shutting down the run I don't know that they wouldn't have fared better.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Metroid wrote:
SniperShot wrote:I don't know if it was all Rex to blame but I do blame 80% of the Bears loss on their offense. Their defense held the Colts to 22 points. (7 on that INT reception for the Colts made it 29)

That's not a bad day vs the Colts offense in my book.

The key times when the Bears got the ball back and really needed to do something on offense to at least give their defense a rest, they would go 3 and out. It was insane and rather sad how bad their offense looked 3/4 of the game. Sure they had a couple of nice plays. (All the momentum early especially with that 52yd run by Jones and TD pass to Moose.)

But overall in dire times the offense just couldn't get it done.

That's my point. The Bears tried to play D the same way the every team in the playoffs did: let Manning have the short to mid range passes and don't pressure the RB. Didn't they consider how poorly this strategy worked for others? I would have liked their chances more if they'd blitzed Urlacher all game instead of having him drop into pass coverage so much.
Totally agree. ;-D

The Bears had decided before the game not to let Peyton beat them deep which is what most teams would have done. And they did a pretty good job as Sniper said allowing only 22 points and if you take that one deep pass to Wayne that was mental mistake on the safety thats only 15. Pretty freaking good against the Colts. I do agree they should have made some adjustments with Indy running so well but really the bad play on offense was why the Bears lost the game. If you take away that opening return by Hester the Bears scored 10 points. 10 points against the Colts!?!?! That aint gonna get it done. :-t

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Honestly in any other situation I would say take away the Colts deep ball and make Addai and Rhodes beat you. Yesterday in the driving rain and Peyton with a hurt thumb on his throwing hand who had been playing less than typical Peyton Manning football throughout the playoffs, I may have done differently.

The only deep ball I can recall (there may have been more I was pretty drunk by game time) was to a WIDE open Reggie Wayne (still not sure how he got that open) and he had to come back for it. Take that for what it's worth but I agree that it had a lot to do with the coaching.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Humpback » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:33 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
Humpback wrote:They lost because the Colts are better. WAAAAAAY better.

From the guy with 4 Colts on his keeper team :-/

LOL. I only counted 3 though. :-b

A couple formers though too. :-D

Are you saying it's not true? O:-) What game were you watching?

My FF team has nothing to do with it, I'd prefer the Colts didn't even make the playoffs, less wear and tear on my players! FF is over week 16 for me, I get nothing because they dominated the game, in almost every aspect. I'd have 3 Bears on my FF team too if there were 3 that were good enough. I'm not a fan of either team either, it was actually kind of a brutal game.
Last edited by Humpback on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Humpback » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:40 pm

I agree they got out-coached, but Dungy made some bad decisions as well. Challenging the call of 12 men on the field, when it was still a close game and not having that challenge or time out could've cost you, playing "Marty Ball" on 3rd and long and running several times when they were already in field goal range (Peyton was getting pissed), etc.

The bottom line, it's easy to play Monday morning QB, but if these two teams played 10 times, Indy wins 8 or 9 of them. They're just better. If they played up to their potential this game, they would've won by 30.

The end of the game was brutal, especially for people who bet on the Bears- a prevent TD would've covered 8-o .
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk