Why the Bears lost the SB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why the Bears lost the SB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dream_017 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Humpback wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
Humpback wrote:They lost because the Colts are better. WAAAAAAY better.

From the guy with 4 Colts on his keeper team :-/

LOL. I only counted 3 though. :-b

A couple formers though too. :-D

Are you saying it's not true? O:-) What game were you watching?

My FF team has nothing to do with it, I'd prefer the Colts didn't even make the playoffs, less wear and tear on my players! FF is over week 16 for me, I get nothing because they dominated the game, in almost every aspect. I'd have 3 Bears on my FF team too if there were 3 that were good enough. I'm not a fan of either team either, it was actually kind of a brutal game.

WAAAAAYYYY better? What game were you watching? The Colt had them in yards, plays and time of possession by a lot but the Bears were only down 5 in the 4th Q. Didn't look like they were waaaayy better to me.

I'm not trying to debate who the better team was or discredit the Colts, but being down by 5 in the 4th Q isn't bad for how the statisical advantage was in favor of the Colts.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigDballer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:27 pm

I second for Sanders to get at least honorable mention. I mean damn, he was all over the place. He JACKED UP Benson and made a beautiful INT, stopped 3rd down plays short of the 1st. He is a bad ass and I wish he played for the Cowboys.
( __ /)
(=*.*=)
( ")_(" )
BigDballer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:30 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:was to a WIDE open Reggie Wayne (still not sure how he got that open) and he had to come back for it.

To be fair, it was a 40 yard toss to the left side of the field while rolling to his right and being tackled as he threw so I think he gets a pass on the 2 yard underthrow. It was pretty lucky that he was able to even physically get the ball that far in that situation.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Everyone is down on Grossman. Lets compare some numbers.

Manning: 247 yds, Grossman 165 yds... not bad considering how little time Grossman spent on the field.

Both got one TD.

Manning 1 interception, Grossman 2
Manning 1 fumble, Grossman 1

So Grossman only turned it over one more time than Manning... I know, the fact that the two interceptions were in the 4th quarter at critical times says something here... but I don't think Manning had all that great of a game either...

Now lets look at the running game...

Jones ran for 112 yards. Thats not horrible. Most games, thats acceptable. 48 of those yards were in the 2nd half. It hurt the Bears that they lost Benson at the beginning of the game. Changing them too up was a big part of their running game. Just the same, I also believe that the Bears should have run it more in the second half. Putting the ball in the hands of Grossman to win you the game was just crazy. When they ran the ball, they did pretty good... the more they ran it, the less pressure on your weak point... Grossman. Obviously you need to mix it up, but they still should have been running more than 50 percent of the time... if they had been, they would have been out on the field longer (I believe), and they would have had a chance.

For those who want to say that the Bears defense did their job...

Addai and Rhodes ran for 190 yards. I don't care what the excuse, when a defense gets run over for 190 yards, thats not a good game. (unless your playing against LT...lol.) I know it was close at the beginning of the 4th, but there was no one who really believed that the Bears had a chance at that point. And everyone knew that the Bears were lucky to be that close... The fact of the matter was that at that point the Bears D was too tired to stop Indy. Where does it start that the defense is on the field too long? When the defense is unable to stop the opposing offense. Then their offense goes 3 and out, and once again the defense is unable to stop that offense. Things are now spiraling out of control. Especially with the Bears, it all starts with that defense. When that defense was unable to stop Indy, even if Indy wasn't scoring, they were doomed.

Its a team game, and you really have to put, at least, just as much blame on the defense for that loss yesterday... IMHO.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:54 pm

By the way, everyone is talking about how much better the Colts were/are than the Bears. One of the strong points was the Bears running game, and that was because of their ability to change up between Jones and Benson. They lost that at the beginning of the game. That really was a big loss for most football fans. That game would have been so much more interesting had Benson been in for the whole game... and in that scenario, I'm not so willing to admit that the Colts were so much better than the Bears. But hey, injuries happen. Not much you can do. (As I've had to say quite often with my Patriots lately... lol.)

Congrats, Indy fans... your patience has paid off!
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby delorian00 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:36 pm

i've never seen teams go with roughly the same game plan, only to see it go to shambles over and over again. i dont know what to say. manning is not the same qb in the playoffs, they'd been running it down your throats most of the game, your secondary is pretty good, and you still drop back into pass coverage!?! wtf?! peyton has shown in the three games before, if you take the top away from him, he's gonna pick you apart with the under routes and dump offs to the backs. 7 picks in the playoffs, and you let the backs beat you....i know the bears D was on the field ALL game, but thats partially the shitty offense, and partially the gameplan. if youre gonna get beat, at least dont do it the way the teams before you did.

plus grossman was incredibly careless. i think his mechanics are just akward at times, leaving those goose eggs floating up there....
delorian00
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Humpback » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:54 pm

Please, let's try not to compare Grossman to Peyton. Anybody can just look at the stats, but did you watch the game? Peyton could've thrown for 400 yds. if he had to, but they didn't, and the only reason Rex put up the measily numbers he did is because they were way behind and the Colts let him dump it off in the 4th qtr. Peyton put up most of his stats in the first half (17 for 26, 193 yds., 1 TD, 1 INT). And Peytons 1 fumble was on a hand off, which was more Addai's fault since he took his eye off it to look at the defender. Just looking at the box score doesn't always work, stats can be misleading.

Dream>017, yes, WAAAAAAY better. Who cares if the game was close fairly late, especially because the only reason it was close is because of a kick return TD, a missed gimme FG from Vinatieri and a botched extra point? Did you watch the game and really think Chicago was going to win at any point in the second half? Just because they were only down 5 in the 4th doesn't mean they're as good as the Colts. You have to play all four quarters, and they ended up losing by 12, and that's without Indy trying to score late. Like I said, the Colts didn't play up to their potential either, but their potential is much higher than the Bears. They wouldn't have been 7 pt. favorites on a neutral field (actually more Bear fans) if they weren't way better. The teams really aren't very close.
Last edited by Humpback on Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Humpback » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:56 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:was to a WIDE open Reggie Wayne (still not sure how he got that open) and he had to come back for it.

To be fair, it was a 40 yard toss to the left side of the field while rolling to his right and being tackled as he threw so I think he gets a pass on the 2 yard underthrow. It was pretty lucky that he was able to even physically get the ball that far in that situation.

Yeah, most guys would not have been able to make that throw, and Wayne did not have to come back for it, he just had to adjust a little. If you watched the highlights, they showed how he was so wide open plenty of times, the safety went to cover the TE.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Popcynical » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:06 pm

It's because they lost to the Packers the last game of the season. Same thing happened to Seattle last year. :-D
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm

SniperShot wrote:I don't know if it was all Rex to blame but I do blame 80% of the Bears loss on their offense. Their defense held the Colts to 22 points. (7 on that INT reception for the Colts made it 29)

That's not a bad day vs the Colts offense in my book.

Especially since the Colts offense was on the field 75% of the time. That was a pretty pitiful performance by the Bears O. It's like, they put the game in Rexy's hands instead of Thomas Jones. Big mistake. Run the ball!!!!!!! Then give Rex an opportunity to make a big play.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk