Free Agency Preview - RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Free Agency Preview - RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:27 pm

I honestly don't see why people are saying that the Giants need to trade for a starting running back. Brandon Jacobs looked fantastic last year, and I think all he needs is a guy to come in on third downs and give him occasional breathers. The Giants will give Jacobs a chance before giving the job to someone else.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:31 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I honestly don't see why people are saying that the Giants need to trade for a starting running back. Brandon Jacobs looked fantastic last year, and I think all he needs is a guy to come in on third downs and give him occasional breathers. The Giants will give Jacobs a chance before giving the job to someone else.

How many times have we seen a RB who is great in a part time role but doesn't do so well in the full time role? It's tough to make that transition to a starter, fail, and then go back to being as effective as you once were as a part time back. There are plenty of reasons to go after another RB to split time with Jacobs and give him relatively the same role as last year maybe just expanded a little. There's absolutely no guarantee that he can carry the load and it would be foolish for them not to go get someone else.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:42 pm

mattb47 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I honestly don't see why people are saying that the Giants need to trade for a starting running back. Brandon Jacobs looked fantastic last year, and I think all he needs is a guy to come in on third downs and give him occasional breathers. The Giants will give Jacobs a chance before giving the job to someone else.

How many times have we seen a RB who is great in a part time role but doesn't do so well in the full time role? It's tough to make that transition to a starter, fail, and then go back to being as effective as you once were as a part time back. There are plenty of reasons to go after another RB to split time with Jacobs and give him relatively the same role as last year maybe just expanded a little. There's absolutely no guarantee that he can carry the load and it would be foolish for them not to go get someone else.

I agree that they definitely need someone else, but Willis McGahee? They don't need a starter, just a guy that can split carries if necessary. We've seen how the two back systems have worked in Indianapolis, Chicago, New Orleans, Dallas, etc.; I just don't see why New York would feel compelled to get a full time starter when they could just get another guy who could split with Jacobs assuming Jacobs can't handle a full starting role.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:43 pm

mattb47 wrote:

Completely agree. Giants either have to draft somebody or at least sign a FA as insurance. I really wouldn't rely on a guy who's been a part time back his whole career. Like matt said, why change when it working already. He's best as guy who splits carries.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:46 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

Completely agree. Giants either have to draft somebody or at least sign a FA as insurance. I really wouldn't rely on a guy who's been a part time back his whole career. Like matt said, why change when it working already. He's best as guy who splits carries.

Like I said above, I agree that they should get someone else, but they don't need to go after Willis McGahee or Thomas Jones, guys who would be starters who got about 80% of the carries. They could get a fast back to split carries with Jacobs and get an RBBC like we see today in Chicago, Indy, Dallas, New Orleans, etc. I honestly think that Jacobs can handle being a starter, but I know that New York will get someone else anyway and will be right in doing so; I just don't think it's worth getting someone to take most of the carries and releagate Jacobs to just short yardage and goal line again after what he showed last year.
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mattb47 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:50 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

Like I said above, I agree that they should get someone else, but they don't need to go after Willis McGahee or Thomas Jones, guys who would be starters who got about 80% of the carries. They could get a fast back to split carries with Jacobs and get an RBBC like we see today in Chicago, Indy, Dallas, New Orleans, etc. I honestly think that Jacobs can handle being a starter, but I know that New York will get someone else anyway and will be right in doing so; I just don't think it's worth getting someone to take most of the carries and releagate Jacobs to just short yardage and goal line again after what he showed last year.

You mean after he showed he could excel in that role? Why would they not bring a very good small RB in to replace the void that Tiki Barber left like a McGahee or Thomas Jones? Jacobs showed he was fantastic in the role he played last year....why not bring in someone so that you can use him in a similar yet somewhat expanded role next year? If you can bring in a great RB and have 2 very good RBs once again next year, why not do it?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:07 am

Anyone think it's possible that either JJ or Marion Barber could be added to the possible trade candidates list with W.Phillips taking over in Dallas???

Not sure what his plans are but he could look to go with one back getting a majority of the carries instead of the way Parcells played them.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:14 am

killiansjmd wrote:Anyone think it's possible that either JJ or Marion Barber could be added to the possible trade candidates list with W.Phillips taking over in Dallas???

Not sure what his plans are but he could look to go with one back getting a majority of the carries instead of the way Parcells played them.

I think he would keep the backs the same this year and maybe try to move one of them next year or mid-year if he liked what he was seeing out of one of them. I think it would be a huge mistake to get rid of one of them right now. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:42 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
killiansjmd wrote:Anyone think it's possible that either JJ or Marion Barber could be added to the possible trade candidates list with W.Phillips taking over in Dallas???

I think he would keep the backs the same this year and maybe try to move one of them next year or mid-year if he liked what he was seeing out of one of them. I think it would be a huge mistake to get rid of one of them right now. :-/

Agreed. Unless someone were to "make him an offer he can't refuse" I don't see why Phillips would want to try to fix something that isn't broken.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:32 pm

Without Tiki Barber, the Giant's are in dire straits IMO. Tiki Barber WAS the Giant's.

Even though Brandon Jacobs ran well last season, they still have room for a franchise 300+ carry RB on the roster. In fact they are in great need of that franchise RB IMO, even if they put him into a part time role. Tiki brought so much to the table in all around talent, that you need a solid RBBC just to replace him.

Forget what Jacobs did last season in a part time role, Jacobs is no Tiki Barber. With his punishing running style, there is no way that you can give Jacob's 350+ touches and expect him to remain such a productive RB.

If NY half asses it in the draft/FA and expect Jacobs to be the franchise, the Giant's won't break .500 in 2007.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk