Pro Football Talk article about possible Pete Carroll next.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pro Football Talk article about possible Pete Carroll next..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pro Football Talk article about possible Pete Carroll next..

Postby GreenBay4Life » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:29 pm

RUMORS SPREAD THAT CARROLL-TO-CHARGERS IS A DONE DEAL

There is increasing talk in league circles regarding suspicions that the San Diego Chargers already have a secret deal in place with USC coach Pete Carroll.

Folks are pointing to some of the same facts we outlined on Monday night, after word broke that Marty Schottenheimer had been fired. Some think that the most convincing proof was/is USC assistant Steve Sarkisian's abrupt about-face with the Raiders, followed days later by the decision of his former Trojan colleague, Lane Kiffin, to take the job.

Why else, the theory goes, would Kiffin take a job that Sarkisian didn't want unless they both knew that Carroll wasn't long for the USC gig, and that Sarkisian, not Kiffin, had been hand-picked to replace him?

Others are pointing to the fact that the first guy to be interviewed is Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who has no head-coaching experience but who helps the Chargers satisfy the Rooney Rule quickly, in the event that the Pete Carroll cat gets out of the bag prematurely and none of the minority candidates agree to sit for the job. (See Detroit Lions and Steve Mariucci.)

We're also told that there is worry among the incoming class of USC recruits regarding the possibility that Carroll is leaving. But Pete has opted not to even address the situation publicly.

If he were not going to be the San Diego coach, he could easily say so. The fact that he has said nothing at all speaks volumes, in our view. Especially since he now has a couple dozen nervous high school seniors who signed papers seven days ago under the assumption that the head coach would be sticking around for at least the next month.

Stay tuned. We predict that the Chargers will go through the motions with several candidates, and that Carroll will then swoop in out of the blue as the guy.

If that happens, look for Pat Kirwan to soon follow him -- and for G.M. A.J. Smith to definitely get the boot after the draft.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Big Daddy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:41 pm

this doenst surprise me. They prolly had a deal worked out before they fired Marty. Talk about pressure. You get the college coach label, and then go to a team that was 14-2. With both coordinators gone, and a pissed of L.T., this doesnt look like a desirable situation.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Big Daddy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bravos of Steel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:43 pm

I'd like to see this happen. The spokesman for the Chargers said that A.J. Smith said he'd keep Schott WITH THE INTENT that his other coaches would stay with him. With Phillips gone to the Cowboys, and Cameron gone to the Dolphins, that coaching staff kind of fell apart.

I'd like to see Pete in San Diego blue next year.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:20 pm

Why is everyone so excited about a guy who is 33-31 as an NFL head coach?

Great college coach no doubt about it.

If I was a Charger fan this would not excite me. I would rather take a chance on Ron Rivera.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mattb47 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:Why is everyone so excited about a guy who is 33-31 as an NFL head coach?

Great college coach no doubt about it.

If I was a Charger fan this would not excite me. I would rather take a chance on Ron Rivera.

He's had a good amount of coaching experience since his last go in the NFL. And having a winning record in the NFL is A LOT better than some of the college guys who try to come up. I think he can definitely have success coaching at the NFL level.....

Not to mention that he has had significant experience now being able to coach with top level players which is one reason why I think some college coaches have trouble with the transition. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to deal with the players that are the best, and know they're the best. I think he'll do just fine.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:57 pm

Pete Carroll has done well at USC, but watching just about any of their games they're nearly always playing with superior talent. He's not going to be able to call an outside run and consistently get 5-10 yards per carry. He's not going to get a dive up the middle where the RB falls forward at the line of scrimmage and the spot gives them 5 yards. He's also going to face faster defenses, heck any defenses, and this is only game day. We'll see if he knows how to coach "men" instead of "kids."

If I were a Chargers fan, I'd be irate. This is not how you give yourself another chance after failing to capitalize on a golden opportunity to win a superbowl.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:22 pm

maddog60 wrote:Pete Carroll has done well at USC, but watching just about any of their games they're nearly always playing with superior talent. He's not going to be able to call an outside run and consistently get 5-10 yards per carry. He's not going to get a dive up the middle where the RB falls forward at the line of scrimmage and the spot gives them 5 yards. He's also going to face faster defenses, heck any defenses, and this is only game day. We'll see if he knows how to coach "men" instead of "kids."

If I were a Chargers fan, I'd be irate. This is not how you give yourself another chance after failing to capitalize on a golden opportunity to win a superbowl.

Exactly, and i think thats why he was not a good NFL coach. Look when he came to USC, he had to get players then dominated. Its easy to dominate in the Pac 10 with those guys. IF this turns out to be true i gurantee its b/c USC is about to be in trouble for violations
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:58 pm

I think the Chargers will do something like what the Cowboys did-- hire a coach that is experienced and has won before in the NFL (like a Norv Turner), since they are built to win now, but also hire a young offensive/defensive coordinator that they can groom into their future head coach.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby mattb47 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:45 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:I think the Chargers will do something like what the Cowboys did-- hire a coach that is experienced and has won before in the NFL (like a Norv Turner), since they are built to win now, but also hire a young offensive/defensive coordinator that they can groom into their future head coach.

Wait....did you just say a guy who is experienced and has won before like Norv Turner??? This guy has proven that he has only ever been a great coordinator. He has never been a successful head coach in the league which is why I'm baffled as to why he continues to get interviews much less coaching jobs. If I was a Chargers fan I would be very very upset if the guy hired in place of Marty was Norv....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:14 pm

well considering carroll has said for the last few years the only way he comes back to the nfl is if he gets total control, i don't see this happening at all.

in the 1% crap shoot chance this does happen, the chargers brass and carroll himself are complete morons for giving up on great situations.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk