Pro Football Talk article about possible Pete Carroll next.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pro Football Talk article about possible Pete Carroll next..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:32 pm

mattb47 wrote:
FantasyMan13 wrote:I think the Chargers will do something like what the Cowboys did-- hire a coach that is experienced and has won before in the NFL (like a Norv Turner), since they are built to win now, but also hire a young offensive/defensive coordinator that they can groom into their future head coach.

Wait....did you just say a guy who is experienced and has won before like Norv Turner??? This guy has proven that he has only ever been a great coordinator. He has never been a successful head coach in the league which is why I'm baffled as to why he continues to get interviews much less coaching jobs. If I was a Chargers fan I would be very very upset if the guy hired in place of Marty was Norv....

Lol, not really being specific, just using an example.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:37 pm

hmm if I was Carrol the Chargers HC job may be the ONLY other job I would leave USC for. He gets one of the best RBs of all time, a good young QB, and good young D, including play maker Merriman, a good kicker, the only thing that really needs to be improved is WRs (and their pass D seemed weak at times I thought) , and that shouldn't be much of a problem, especially with their salary cap room.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby eman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:13 am

Carroll's staying at USC. Mark my words.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:36 am

aaawall91 wrote:hmm if I was Carrol the Chargers HC job may be the ONLY other job I would leave USC for. He gets one of the best RBs of all time, a good young QB, and good young D, including play maker Merriman, a good kicker, the only thing that really needs to be improved is WRs (and their pass D seemed weak at times I thought) , and that shouldn't be much of a problem, especially with their salary cap room.

I agree, this is a perfect job for anyone, but especially Caroll. He would have superior Talent and he wouldn't have to move
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:44 am

If Carroll wanted to come back to the NFl this would seem like the perfect job unless he wants total control and with AJ Smith as GM he's not getting that. Should be interesting to see who gets this job.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:54 am

killiansjmd wrote:If Carroll wanted to come back to the NFl this would seem like the perfect job unless he wants total control and with AJ Smith as GM he's not getting that. Should be interesting to see who gets this job.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Diego Chargers might part ways with G.M. A.J. Smith after the April 2007 draft.

This reports meshes with our prediction that Smith will be let go for his role in the dysfunction that resulted in the termination of coach Marty Schottenheimer.

It also bolsters the mounting speculation that USC coach Pete Carroll is being, or has been, privately courted by the Chargers. Carroll most certainly would want final say over the roster, and if Smith couldn't get along with a head coach who didn't have final say, he'd never be able to work for one who does
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:55 am

killiansjmd wrote:If Carroll wanted to come back to the NFl this would seem like the perfect job unless he wants total control and with AJ Smith as GM he's not getting that. Should be interesting to see who gets this job.

IMO it would be great if Spanos fired Smith too b/c he wants Caroll, it would serve Smith right
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk