Football trash talk from the top.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Football trash talk from the top..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Football trash talk from the top..

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Posted by BIG TEN COMMISSIONER Jim Delaney on the Big 10 website:

Greetings from the Big Ten Conference,

With the conclusion of another tremendous college football season and the recent national signing day, there has been a lot written and said about the Big Ten's recruiting efforts across the country, including a recent article in the Chicago Sun-Times entitled "Big Ten needs to find new talent pool - fast" (see full article here). In response to these commentaries, it seems premature for us to lower our admission standards or give up on the tremendous talent pool in the Midwest. No doubt national programs must recruit nationally wherever the talented students and athletes live. Hats off to Florida and the SEC -- they had a great year. We believe that both the Big Ten and the SEC have been and remain two of the greatest college football conferences in the country. But you may want to keep in mind the following as you review the various recruiting services, listen to talking heads and reflect the blogosphere out there as they compare these two fine conferences. I think most people would agree that head-to-head competition is an effective method to compare relative strengths between competitive entities:

* The Big Ten was 2-1 vs. the SEC in this past season's bowl games.
* The Big Ten is 8-6 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last five years
* The Big Ten is 13-13 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last decade.
* Over the last nine years of Bowl Championship Series games, the Big Ten leads all conferences with 15 berths while ranking second with eight victories. The SEC tops all leagues with nine wins and ranks second to the Big Ten with 13 appearances.
* In the last 10 years the Big Ten has produced two national champions compared to three for the SEC.
* In the last 15 years the Big Ten has produced five Heisman Trophy winners, more than any other conference. Over that same time span, the SEC has claimed one Heisman.
* While the SEC ranked first among various recruiting rankings, the Big Ten ranked second or third nationally with four to five programs rated among the top 25 recruiting classes.
* The Big Ten has a history of developing players - the most recent Heisman Trophy winner, Troy Smith, was one of the last players to receive a scholarship from Ohio State.
* The Big Ten has slightly less than 300 players in the NFL while the SEC has slightly more than 300; Sixteen former Big Ten players earned Super Bowl rings with the Indianapolis Colts earlier this month.

I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

Let's see if the five- and 10-year trend lines hold or whether the recruiting services and talking heads are seeing a new day. We are quite proud of our history and tradition and remain optimistic about the future of Big Ten football.

Thanks.

Jim Delany

Given the amount of criticism Urban Meyer took for saying things as deeply hurtful as "I think we deserve a chance" and "they already had their shot", when directly asked by the media, I'm interested to see what kind of backlash a conference commissioner will get for basically saying "they're only better because they'll let anyone in" when totally unprovoked.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:58 pm

Eh, I think its uncalled for, but it is true.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:18 pm

Wow, he wasn't very subtle about it. Hopefully the SEC comes back with a rebuttal, I'd love to see a commish feud. :-b
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aldridg6in » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:32 pm

That's pretty funny, but true...uncalled for or not.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Sandrock » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:36 am

Uncalled for but right on the money.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:17 am

Wow nice comments from the Big 10 commish. Tell us how you really feel! :-o
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Wow, he wasn't very subtle about it. Hopefully the SEC comes back with a rebuttal, I'd love to see a commish feud. :-b

That would be awesome, its not like everyone else doesn't feud over this
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:28 pm

...hmmm... he must have forgotten that last year most people thought the class of the conference was Michigan and OSU who both lost big in their bowl games. And Mike Slive, SEC Commish, won't respond publically. He is the BCS Commish also as well as a member of the NCAA Selection Committee from Men's College Basketball. It would be stupid for him to respond and a poor career move as well.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Atog » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:04 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:...hmmm... he must have forgotten that last year most people thought the class of the conference was Michigan and OSU who both lost big in their bowl games. And Mike Slive, SEC Commish, won't respond publically. He is the BCS Commish also as well as a member of the NCAA Selection Committee from Men's College Basketball. It would be stupid for him to respond and a poor career move as well.

Yeah, but supposedly Delaney is the guy who wears the pants when it comes to the BCS ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kilroy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:59 am

Atog wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:...hmmm... he must have forgotten that last year most people thought the class of the conference was Michigan and OSU who both lost big in their bowl games. And Mike Slive, SEC Commish, won't respond publically. He is the BCS Commish also as well as a member of the NCAA Selection Committee from Men's College Basketball. It would be stupid for him to respond and a poor career move as well.

Yeah, but supposedly Delaney is the guy who wears the pants when it comes to the BCS ;-D

For all intents and purposes he is. Unfortunately he's also a raging nutcase. I'd lay money that somewhere in Delaney's house there's a painting with him dressed as Napoleon.

As to the whole brouhaha over who signs who, at the end of the day it means spit, because for every "Top 50" recruit that ends up a First Round pick there are two that don't do squat. Justin Zwick was the #1 QB prospect in the nation when he signed with Ohio State, and if you're asking "Who the h**l is Justin Zwick?" then I've made my point.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to College Football