tips for converting to auction draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

tips for converting to auction draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

tips for converting to auction draft

Postby bloul11 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:54 pm

2007 will be our 3rd year of this keeper league. We are planning on changing it to an auction style draft. the problem i'm having is how do make a value for the players the teams want to keep. Also what is the basic set up that other leagues are using. We don't currently use team defense we do DB,LB,DL that may have to change.
bloul11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

idea

Postby lucatorrent » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:18 am

Assuming every team keeps the same number of players, just allow each team to keep the players and then use a set budget to fill the rest of the roster.

If you want to assign salaries to the keepers, you could either choose a service that assigns value (i.e. CBS or ESPN) or set a standard $ for each keeper (for example $10 in a $100 budget).

If you wanted to slowly convert from the 1st option (no salary assigned keepers) to assigning keepers salaries, slowly introduce the change.

For example, year 1 allow 3 keepers w/out salaries. Year two only allow 2 keepers w/out salaries, etc. After 2-3 years the transition would be complete.
lucatorrent
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bloul11 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:09 pm

i am now wondering if it would be fair to find 2006 preseason dollar values and just take those into the draft/auction with us in 2007. So each keeper would cost what ever they would have been drafted for last year. Any dollar rankings going forward would not be fair because it would eliminate the value of what were sleepers,i.e. Colston. Being fair is my main concern at this point. Which also brings up the point of teams trading late in the season for keepers to have next season. For example i traded Portis away when he got hurt to another team that was near last in league for Andre Johson. For that other team it would suck because what was a good keeper suddenly becomes a high dollar risk.
bloul11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby ABA316 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:59 pm

Use a source that all agree on for average dollar value prior to the 2006 season.

Then, whatever your cost will be to keep a player just factor in.

Let's say you want to keep LT. Say his avg 2006 value according to Yahoo (just to throw a source out there) was $40.

Now let's say if you are setting a rule that to keep a player it costs a $5 raise.

Therefore, to keep LT this year costs you $45.

Probly the simplest way I can think of that doesn't involve a lot of personal opinions being set.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bloul11 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:07 pm

thanks good idea now i just have to find an extensive dollar value list for pre 2006.
bloul11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dream_017 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:18 am

bloul11 wrote:thanks good idea now i just have to find an extensive dollar value list for pre 2006.

Here is a mock auction from last year held at the cafe.

I will look for some other sources outside of the cafe with 2006 dollars assigned.

From Sept 5th 2006

Another Sept 5th 2006
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner