Irvin not to be Renewed by ESPN - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Irvin not to be Renewed by ESPN

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby delorian00 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:04 am

yeah he was loud, brash, flamboyant, and generally obnoxious, but i still liked him. he was similar in a way to charles barkley, where he was the only one where he was unabashadly going to tell you what he thought. i respect that. even if comes 10 decibals higher than normal.

espn needs to get their priorities straght. theisman is worse. he just wont get them sued though...
delorian00
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:12 am

delorian00 wrote:espn needs to get their priorities straght. theisman is worse. he just wont get them sued though...

I disagree that Theisman is worse. Theisman is annoying because he talks way too much, but he does at least bring some insight to the table. Irvin talks too much and brings very little insight to the table. That makes Irvin worse IMO.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:54 pm

TUNA IN, IRVIN OUT IN BRISTOL

An industry source tells us that Bill Parcells has signed on with ESPN, and that Michael Irvin is out.

"It's done," said the source. "Rock solid."

Parcells, we're told, will be part of the 78-person Monday night crew, which is dispatched from Bristol on a weekly basis to bring grandeur to (and thus justify) the network's $1.1 billion per year investment in the MNF franchise.

As to Irvin, it's anyone's guess where he now lands. Maybe he'll retreat to FSN, which is where he rehabilitated his image after his playing career and before making the leap to Bristol.

Meanwhile, we assume that the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies will be televised once again by ESPN, which will make the day more than a little awkward, in our view.

Irvin is objectively likeable, but he is gratuitously controversial. His biases as an analyst are at times obvious to the point of laughable. Also, he was suspended in November 2005 for failing to disclose a recent arrest for possession of drug paraphernalia. In 2006, his musings regarding the possible presence of African-American DNA in Gomer Pyle-white Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo prompted a torrent of criticism that both the network and Irvin initially did their best to ignore.

Says a member of PFT Planet regarding the Parcells-for-Irvin swap: "Sweet irony. Michael Irvin gets T.O. on the Cowboys. T.O. causes Bill Parcells to retire from Cowboys. Parcells takes Irvin's job at ESPN."

Parcells gets Irvin's job ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:08 am

RWLongy4 wrote:
Keyser_WV wrote:I liked Irvin on the show. I hate to see him go.

Berman makes the show unwatchable for me.

8-o How can you not like Berman!?

Listening to him say "he... could... go... all... the... way" in my head is enough to make me want to punch something. The man is simply annoying, and he never has insightful commentary.

As for Irvin, I'm glad he's gone as well. He would go on with gibberish too much. As per what someone jokingly suggested, I actually wouldn't mind if they replaced him with Stephen A Smith. While I dont particularly care for his style, Smith I think would at least contribute some insights, and make sense. That alone would be a substantially upgrade.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sammyj1404 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:53 am

yeah im not so sure irvin was one of the best commentators. i'm sure they can get someone better...maybe someone who doesnt have the biggest tie knots ever!!
sammyj1404
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk