Balancing Regular Season Wins with Playoff Wins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Balancing Regular Season Wins with Playoff Wins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Balancing Regular Season Wins with Playoff Wins

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Have you guys come in to any scenarios where you wanted to balance teams success between the regular season and the playoffs? How did you go about it? I'm trying to figure out the best way to score a 3 sport, single draft league. If you're interested check it out in classifieds.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby spodog » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:18 pm

In some years, we have taken 6 teams to the playoffs and seeded the teams so that the #1 and #2 seeded teams get a 1st round playoff BYE.

Advantages:

1) you can set the seeding rules however you like
2) gives a built in recognition of regular season wins to top 2 teams
3) still allows ANY playoff team to take the title
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:37 pm

What we've done is assigned roto like point totals relative to finish, i.e. first place gets 12 points, which is then averaged with that teams playoff finish, i.e. four teams go to the playoffs and the winner gets 12 points averaged with his/her regular season total, last place gets 9 points averaged w/his/her finish.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby spodog » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Here's another idea:

Seed the playoff teams, and allow the top seeded teams a BYE week in the 1st round of the playoffs as well as their "choice" on points scored for the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs.

For example. Let's say you have 14 teams. The Top 6 go to the playoffs for a 3 week playoff format.

In Playoff Week #1, Seeds #3 and #6 play a game. Seeds #4 and #5 also play a game.

Seeds #1 and #2 have a playoff bye, BUT, you allow them to field a lineup and keep track of their scores.

In Playoff week #2, the winners of the 1st round games advance, and they have to play the #1 and #2 seeds, HOWEVER, the #1 and #2 seeds get to use as their team score the BETTER of either:

- Their score in Playoff Week #2

OR

- Their score from Playoff Week #1 (while they were on BYE).

This should really reward the two teams with the Top Seeds from the regular season in a significant way.

You can seed teams according to whatever your league format uses, either W-L record or points scored, or a combination of the two.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner