First Time Dynasty player, advice strategy, comments from th - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First Time Dynasty player, advice strategy, comments from th

Moderator: Football Moderators

First Time Dynasty player, advice strategy, comments from th

Postby Kellys Heroes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:41 am

So after 3 yrs of playing FF... I took the big leap last night and signed for a $150 IDP Dynasty League...
I landed the #7 pick out of 14 teams... Not too bad..

So heres the scoring system...
QBs, RBs, WRs, and TEs score .1 pt per 1 yds.. (yes, if a QB throws for 300 yds; he scores 30 pts alone from the yds).
all TDs are 6 pts.
-1 for INTs thrown, -1 per Fumble lost, 1 PPR

Bonus.. he does have some cool ones
2 extra pts for a 50 yd TD for RBs, WRs, and TEs
3 extra pts for per 100 yds of Recieving or Rushing
2 extra pts for 200 combo yds for RBs
2 extra pts for 300 yds passing
2 extra pts for TE over 50 yds
3 extra pts for 7 recs by a WR and RB
3 extra pts for 5 rec by a TE

K scoring is standard and his IDP scoring is meaningless

Line up is 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 W/R, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DL, 2 LB, 1 DB.. 13 starters, 15 BN

So I landed # 7 pick... I want to take an young RB in the first RD... But I'm thinking that the 2nd RD I should take an C Palmer.. But if I go RB, QB, then nothing else will come around for RB.. :wall: Very tough call...

Experts.. please help
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Humpback » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:26 am

A few thoughts: this is a VERY deep league. 14 teams, 13 starters. Also, QB scoring is the highest I've ever seen. I highly doubt that Palmer will be around when you pick in the 2nd round. I could be wrong, but I imagine that the top 6-8 QB's could go in the first 2 rounds. I doubt Peyton will be there at pick #7, but if he is, I'd be tempted to grab him. The decision on whether to go RB/QB/WR or RB/WR/RB, etc. will depend on who's available when you select, so you're probably better off coming back on here during your draft.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby GreenBay4Life » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 am

with the 7 pick you might just want to take manning in the 1st rd then proceed to fill your rbs and wrs after. With the 7th pick there will rbs choices up unil the 4th rd in a 14 team league. just remember to pick def. players late bc there are a ton of solid def. players and you dont need to be the person who takes ray lewis in the 3rd rd. good luck with the league.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:46 am

If Manning is there at the 1.7, I would take him, and if you don't get him, I would go with Palmer in the 2nd rd if you can. QB scoring is ridiculously high in this league.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kellys Heroes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:52 am

Manning will be gone by 1.7.. thats why I didn't ask...
and I agree I may pass on Palmer too in the 2nd...

I think I'll go w/ 3 straight RB selections in this Draft.. (if young talent comes my way) since I can play 3 RBs a week, I think building a solid core of RB talent in the first yr is a good idea,
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kellys Heroes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 am

GreenBay4Life wrote:with the 7 pick you might just want to take manning in the 1st rd then proceed to fill your rbs and wrs after. With the 7th pick there will rbs choices up unil the 4th rd in a 14 team league. just remember to pick def. players late bc there are a ton of solid def. players and you dont need to be the person who takes ray lewis in the 3rd rd. good luck with the league.

Like I said... the IDPs are meaningless in this league.. The commish up their pts a little.. but not enough for me to draft any before RD 22.. The 4 IDPs equal the amount a Team D would recieve.. so I won't sweat it.. I'll draft some rooks before IDPs..
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Felix the Cat » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:56 am

Kellys Heroes wrote:Manning will be gone by 1.7.. thats why I didn't ask...
and I agree I may pass on Palmer too in the 2nd...

I think I'll go w/ 3 straight RB selections in this Draft.. (if young talent comes my way) since I can play 3 RBs a week, I think building a solid core of RB talent in the first yr is a good idea,

...but then you'll be burned if your opponents are any good, because you'll be starting someone like Jake Delhomme at QB, and the gap in value between a mediocre and a good QB in this scoring schema has the potential to be too large to make up for the gap in value between a mediocre and a good RB corps.

In my opinion, you need to go QB-RB with your first 2 picks, unless by some strange freak of nature LT, LJ, or SJax falls to you.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kellys Heroes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:51 pm

I agree.. but Manning is gone.. I'm not drafting Palmer at 1.7, or Bulger, Brees, Brady, Hass in the 2nd.. I hope one of these guys come back in the 3rd..

if not.. I may shoot for an young guy like Lienhart, Cutler, Campell and hope they pan out in a yr or 2..
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kilroy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Why not take Palmer in the 2nd? He's young and plays for a team with a potent offense. He could be a linchpin for your team for years, especially in a league tilted so heavily in favor of QBs. With that scoring system the difference between the haves and have-nots is going to be determined by Quarterbacks, and I think you'd better adjust your draft strategy accordingly.

H**l, with that scoring system I'd probably give some thought to taking Palmer in the first depending on the six picks ahead of you.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kellys Heroes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:58 pm

CJ is 28 and TJ is 29 w/ Henry being about 24.. so he does have a great Recieving core for a couple of yrs...

here is what I figure...
LT, SA, LJ, SJax, and Manning should be the Top 5 picks...
then Westy, Gore, or Bush should go at #6
If Bush comes at #7.. I like him to build this Fanchise around..
Now If Palmer falls to the me at #22.. I would take him there in this draft..
If Palmer does not come around.. I would take anther young RB or S Smith and see what QBs are in the 3rd (maybe a Brady, Brees, or Bulger will slip to #36)..
Then see who I have left at RB for #50 (Maybe EJames, Jocabs, Peterson the Rookie, or Lamont)
Start the recieving core at #64.. there will be slim pickings I know..
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk