First Time Dynasty player, advice strategy, comments from th - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First Time Dynasty player, advice strategy, comments from th

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kilroy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Matt's point is a valid one, although I think the likelihood of landing two top 10 RBs in the first two rounds of a 14 teamer is pretty slim, even if several QBs come off the board. (especially from the 7 hole. Top 15 yeah, but Top 10 may be a stretch)

I guess it depends (as always) on how the draft goes. If Manning and Palmer go before 1.7 I'd take a RB first and likely second. If Palmer's there at 1.7 though I'd be tempted, and I'm by no means a "Draft QB Early" kinda guy. He's got a nice combination of youth + talent + potent offense, and I think he'd be a good foundation for your team.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:35 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:Matt's point is a valid one, although I think the likelihood of landing two top 10 RBs in the first two rounds of a 14 teamer is pretty slim, even if several QBs come off the board. (especially from the 7 hole. Top 15 yeah, but Top 10 may be a stretch)

I guess it depends (as always) on how the draft goes. If Manning and Palmer go before 1.7 I'd take a RB first and likely second. If Palmer's there at 1.7 though I'd be tempted, and I'm by no means a "Draft QB Early" kinda guy. He's got a nice combination of youth + talent + potent offense, and I think he'd be a good foundation for your team.

Not if people in that league respond to the QB scoring like people on here have it isn't a stretch at all to get 2 top 10 RBs in a league like this. I think the chances of people going QB happy are high, then toss in a few WRs in there and it's not crazy to think that a top 10 RB falls to him in the 2nd. Stranger things have happened.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:41 am

mattb47 wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:Matt's point is a valid one, although I think the likelihood of landing two top 10 RBs in the first two rounds of a 14 teamer is pretty slim, even if several QBs come off the board. (especially from the 7 hole. Top 15 yeah, but Top 10 may be a stretch)

Not if people in that league respond to the QB scoring like people on here have it isn't a stretch at all to get 2 top 10 RBs in a league like this. I think the chances of people going QB happy are high, then toss in a few WRs in there and it's not crazy to think that a top 10 RB falls to him in the 2nd. Stranger things have happened.

Didn't say it couldn't happen, only that I didn't think it was likely, especially given that he'll be drafting in the middle of each round. Were he drafting closer to the end of the round I'd like his chances significantly better.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kellys Heroes » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:57 am

Heres how I could picture the first RD
#1 LT
#2 LJ
#3 Manning
#4 SJax
from here; its difficult to tell who gets picked
the options are SA (age will knock him down), Westy (injury always in the mind), Gore (lost his OC), Palmer, and then Reggie Bush

2 of those Names will get picked before me and if Bush comes at 1.7... it would be tough to pass..

2nd RD.. the if Palmer is gone (which he should be).. and if RBs like Maroney and Addia are gone.. I should be able to land a top flight WR; a guy like Fitz, SS, Holt, or Wayne.. someone in their prime..

3rd RD.. whats the chances of taking an Jacobs, maybe Edge, Turner, Jordan, or a Rookie (I rather do the rookie pick in the 4th; but it is a 14 teamer)

Thanks guys..
you've been great
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Humpback » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 am

The thing you have to remember too is that QBs have a much longer lifespan than RBs, which gives them added value in a dynasty over a re-draft. Would you really want to draft Kitna, Favre, or Pennington in this league? I wouldn't. There are other guys who are up and comers, but we don't know how they're going to eventually pan out. In a 14 team league with this scoring, I would want a top 5 consistent QB if possible. A guy like Palmer will be a top 5 QB for the next 8-10 years- how many RB's can you say that about? None. The other thing to consider is how RB's value change much more often than a QB. Are you worried at all about Peyton, Palmer, Bulger, etc. losing their job, or being in a QBBC? No, but there are several RBs who will not be in a RBBC when you draft them, but will end up there at some point in the future, possibly the very near future.

I'm not saying definitely take a QB, it's all going to depend on how the draft goes. If there aren't any top 6-8 QB's left when you pick in the 2nd but you can grab a younger top 10 RB, go for it. I highly doubt you'll get 2 top 10 RB's with both of your picks however. I also would bet that a couple of the rookie RB's will be gone before the 4th round, especially if they end up in decent situations. Youth goes very early in dynasty drafts.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Football Talk