Sophmore slump canidates? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sophmore slump canidates?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby onnestabe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:56 am

Heimholder wrote:Maybe people are thinking Henderson, Copper & Bush will steal too many looks? I don't know, seems like in San Diego Brees really locked onto Gates and he's found his new Gates in Colston. I know I won't hesitate to take him in the late 3rd round on!

The problem is a lot of people (not necessarily people at the Cafe) are calling him a top 10 WR next year, so if that holds up, he will be gone in the late 3rd round.

I don't know if you can call this a slump, but I think he will still get a ton of lookswith less TDs in 2007. I think the Saints will be looking to add a pass-catching TE this offseason, and I expect Deuce and Bush (and maybe the mystery TE) to get a lot of red zone TDs, and since Colston is not really a speed guy, it's hard to see how he is going to score TDs consistently in the offense. He should still get a healthy yardage and reception total each week since he is the go-to-guy on third downs.

I wouldn't worry about Henderson and Copper doing much more than they did last year.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Like a lot of others have said, Colston seems like he's in for a slump just because he will be vastly overvalued. I don't see him having a bad year at all, but he won't be a top 10 receiver, probably not top 15 either, and there are people that will value him that highly.

Maroney seems like he's in for a slump to me. He only had one great game last year, and he was very inconsistent. He had a YPC as high as 8.3 and as low as 1.5, and Corey Dillon hurt his touchdown numbers. Dillon could alter his value, but I'm still not sure about Maroney's chances next year.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Heimholder » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:30 pm

onnestabe wrote:
Heimholder wrote:Maybe people are thinking Henderson, Copper & Bush will steal too many looks? I don't know, seems like in San Diego Brees really locked onto Gates and he's found his new Gates in Colston. I know I won't hesitate to take him in the late 3rd round on!

The problem is a lot of people (not necessarily people at the Cafe) are calling him a top 10 WR next year, so if that holds up, he will be gone in the late 3rd round.

Ok makes sense now. Then I suppose I agree that he'll have a "slump". Also I guess I need to keep up more on the Cafe talk. A lot of other places I've seen Colston ranked more in the 12 - 20 spot for WRs, which is probably about right.
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Like a lot of others have said, Colston seems like he's in for a slump just because he will be vastly overvalued. I don't see him having a bad year at all, but he won't be a top 10 receiver, probably not top 15 either, and there are people that will value him that highly.

Maroney seems like he's in for a slump to me. He only had one great game last year, and he was very inconsistent. He had a YPC as high as 8.3 and as low as 1.5, and Corey Dillon hurt his touchdown numbers. Dillon could alter his value, but I'm still not sure about Maroney's chances next year.

I don't believe a "sophomore slump" should be based upon how high they are drafted....this usually refers to someone who takes a step back from their development their rookie year rather than taking a step forward. Colston is the #1 option at WR on a young, improving offense with a very good, accurate QB. I personally don't think he's a fantastic candidate for a sophomore slump.

I honestly don't see there being a lot of sophomore slumps next year, possibly someone like MJD with the year he had but most of these players didn't have monster rookie years to the point where it will be hard to build upon the successes they had this season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Big Daddy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:36 pm

With Norv Turner leaving San Fran, Frank Gore becomes my favorite to have the biggest slump, considering most people will rank him between 4-6 in the first round of drafts this year.

My runner up is Lee Evans. Alot of people putting him up there with Roy Williams and Reggie Wayne.. Wont happen
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Big Daddy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:33 pm

Big Daddy wrote:With Norv Turner leaving San Fran, Frank Gore becomes my favorite to have the biggest slump, considering most people will rank him between 4-6 in the first round of drafts this year.

My runner up is Lee Evans. Alot of people putting him up there with Roy Williams and Reggie Wayne.. Wont happen

But they weren't rookies....awfully difficult for non second year players to have sophomore slumps...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:44 pm

Sean Merriman could slump next year. New coaches and no steriods..er.. tainted supplements, plus OCs scheming against him more could lead to a let down in his stat line.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:39 am

Big Daddy wrote:My runner up is Lee Evans. Alot of people putting him up there with Roy Williams and Reggie Wayne.. Wont happen

He's been in the league for 3 years now, so Evans really doesn't count for this exercise...I think he'll keep doing what he's done since he got into the league and be all right. But as long as we're talking about it...how about Marion Barber (3rd year)?? Does anyone think he'll get 16 TD's again? :-?

Colston's definitely the one to look at as a down player just because WR is so up and down from year to year. Teams will figure out ways to try and stop Vince Young, so he too may slump.

The RB's are hard to predict having down years since some are in potential "phase out" situations. If anything happens, I think it'll be due to injury. It will be hard for Drew to get all those TD's again since they are somewhat fluky, but if he gets all the goal line carries, he could be all right. Gore...I think he'll be OK. He didn't get many TD's anyway and had monster running performances. If he can hold onto the ball next year, he'll produce about the same amount of points even if he racks up less yards.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk