Chargers new head coach... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chargers new head coach...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chargers new head coach...

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:25 pm

This is a crushing blow for Gore if true and is reason for LT owners to be relieved.

Turner to take over as Chargers' head coach

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

The San Diego Chargers have their new head coach and it's the man everyone thought was going to be the head coach in Dallas.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Chargers have tabbed 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner as their new head coach. Turner went to San Diego late last night to work out a deal with the team.
General Manager A.J. Smith held talks with Turner late last night and ironed out a deal. This morning Turner informed his current boss Mike Nolan that he did in fact have the job and was moving on.

FOXSports.com first reported the Chargers' direction at about midnight Sunday.

Sources also contend that Turner is leaning toward hiring Ted Cottrell, a long-time defensive coach, to run the Chargers defense. Cottrell worked in the league office this past season but is one of the best minds in the league when it comes to running a 3-4 scheme.

Oddly, on Sunday Rex Ryan appeared to be the leading candidate to get the job. What or if anything happened to change that remains to be seen.

Turner was long assumed to be the man Jerry Jones would hire to replace Bill Parcells as head coach but the Cowboys sent Turner back to the Bay without a new job or a new title. That title and job may now come three weeks later in the best city in America to "have to" work in — sunny San Diego.

Turner was the Chargers' offensive coordinator for LaDainian Tomlinson's rookie year and now will be in charge of an offense that needs to find even more ways for Tomlinson to work his magic.

In a bit of circular logic ... Turner was extremely close to getting the Cowboys gig that eventually went to Wade Phillips, the man Cottrell may replace in San Diego now.

Calls to Smith and Turner were not returned.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:50 pm

Wow... what a blue to that whole S.F offense. They were finally clicking and then bam!! They lose there O.C :-t.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Yahoo is reporting it too....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=c ... &type=lgns

I have to say this would be a blow to Gore for me, Turner IS an offensive genius.

Conversely of course, LT owners in keeper/dynasty can sleep soundly with this decision.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:08 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:Wow... what a blue to that whole S.F offense. They were finally clicking and then bam!! They lose there O.C :-t.

I would expect Gore and Alex Smith not to perform as well as last year now that Turner is gone. Both made very good progress with Turner as the OC.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 pm

Not that big of a suprise if you really think about it. Right move, IMO.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:41 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:Not that big of a suprise if you really think about it. Right move, IMO.

The right move was to hire a coach who has never been a very good head coach? I think they should have went elsewhere with hiring their coach personally....good coordinator, poor coach.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Big Daddy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:25 pm

mattb47 wrote:
FantasyMan13 wrote:Not that big of a suprise if you really think about it. Right move, IMO.

The right move was to hire a coach who has never been a very good head coach? I think they should have went elsewhere with hiring their coach personally....good coordinator, poor coach.

Unless they brought in Bill Cowher or Tony Dungy, they were going to downgrade their head coaching position anyway. When you fire a coach that delivers a 14-2 season, you really dont stand a good chance at doing anything right in terms of hiring a new head coach.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Big Daddy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:36 pm

I look at the hire like this.

The Chargers are really in a win now mentality. They figure its easier to stick in Turner and keep the offense going strong than it is to hire a more conservative defensive minded coach. They're familiar with Turner and I can understand why they AJ Smith wants to bring him back.

You're right in that hes never been a great coach but he had some decent seasons with the Redskins (9-7, 8-7-1, 10-6, 8-8 in 7 years) and I think the Charger's team is so good they're hoping they can coast to a playoff bearth and work from there.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:32 pm

Big Daddy wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

Unless they brought in Bill Cowher or Tony Dungy, they were going to downgrade their head coaching position anyway. When you fire a coach that delivers a 14-2 season, you really dont stand a good chance at doing anything right in terms of hiring a new head coach.

But at least give a guy a chance who has NOT proven to be a losing head coach in the NFL....he has consistently had teams that were disappointments and if the best seasons you can point at in all those years of coaching are 10-6, 9-7, and 8-7-1, that's saying a lot.

It will be the ultimate failure if he's unable to keep this team at the top of the league....absoultely no reason they shouldn't be.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:41 pm

mattb47 wrote:

I agree, Turner seems like a retread to me. He is a perfect fit for a coordinator and out of place as a head coach. I would have looked elsewhere, but I guess it would be hard to have a poor season as taking over a talent-laden team like the Chargers.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk