No Contract Extension for Rivera - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

No Contract Extension for Rivera

Moderator: Football Moderators

No Contract Extension for Rivera

Postby Vanter » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:41 pm

I haven't seen anything posted about this yet. I'm a bit surprised by this move, but I'm sure Chicago fans could provide some insight.

LINK: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6485778
Bears won't renew Rivera's contract
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Bears head coach Lovie Smith is making long-term plans for the future of the team and one of the plans could surprise many Bears fans.

FOXSports.com has learned that Chicago has decided to not renew the contract of defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Team sources say that Smith and Rivera met recently and agreed to allow Rivera to pursue other opportunities. The sources also contend that Smith will likely end up promoting Bob Babich from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator.

People inside the Bears saw this coming for a while as Babich has been reached out to from a handful of teams in the last two off-seasons and Smith, who unlike many other coaches does not block his assistants from moving up, did not want to lose him. Thus, the head coach had a tough decision to make and promoting Babich was his choice.

Babich is also viewed as more of a long-term option for Smith as Rivera was in the running for several head coaching jobs this off-season and last year. To this point, however, he has failed to land one. He did not sign an extension last off-season, which allowed him to be a free agent after the Bears' Super Bowl run. Most teams figured he'd get one of the vacant head coaching openings and as a result has been left out in the cold.

As for a defensive coordinator opening, there's only one open right now and that is Ted Cottrell's for the taking in San Diego. Still, now that Rivera is officially free another team may decide to make a run at a man who helped guide a unit to this year's prized game.

Rivera has been with Smith since he took over the head coaching duties in Chicago.
Vanter
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Balanced Man » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:00 pm

I just heard this on ESPN too. Not quite sure what to make of it... :-?
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Daddy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:30 pm

Smith knows that Rivera is looking for bigger and better things, and doesnt want to waste his time. I dont blame Smith for promoting a guy now, before losing both of them. Rivera could be a head coach somewhere next year, and maybe Babich leaves to be a defensive coordinator somewhere. Smith looking at the future, and realizes one is better than none. Rivera more than likely wouldnt have signed more than a 1 year deal anyway.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Big Daddy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:52 pm

This shocked me. ea he may know he is looking for better things, but right now he doesn't have that and he is the best candidate for the job. Also, what does thi show your other coches? That if you are getting interest we are just gonne let you go even if you don't have a job. Seems screwy to me
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:13 pm

This one's a headscratcher. :-?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:18 pm

I thought this was a marco rivera related topic. That would have been more surprising than this.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:36 pm

So what's next for Rivera? San Diego? Dallas?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:So what's next for Rivera? San Diego? Dallas?

SD has a d-coordinator and i think So does Dallas :-?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:45 pm

he must not be that good....and i have to agree considering his lousy SuperBowl job.
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:59 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:he must not be that good....and i have to agree considering his lousy SuperBowl job.

Ummmmm have you seen the Bears Defense? The job in the Super Bowl was what happened later in the year, they were missing several key pieces. Rivera is a good coach, he is getting hosed IMO
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk