Oakland Drafts Defense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Oakland Drafts Defense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Oakland Drafts Defense

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:52 pm

Who else could see the Raiders draft defense with the first pick (assuming they don't trade it, which is definitely a possibility)? My reasoning is that Russel is not a franchise talent, and while I think Quinn has the ability to have a great career, he's probablty not quite #1 overall material (which could change after the combine, however). Assuming they don't trade the pick, I think they should take either Branch or Gaines Adams (Branch preferably, IMO). Who else agrees?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:01 pm

No way, the raiders were ranked 4th in total yards allowed (possibly in part to the short field the offense gave their opponents) and 5th in pass defense.

Their rush defense gave up 130/game on the ground, but their problems revolve around ball control on the offense not issues with their defense.

They will either take a QB or trade down and patch the many holes they have on offense (as well as some of their issues with run stopping). One thing they won't do is take Gaines Adams, and certainly not Branch at no1 overall. Neither of them (pending combine) are no1 overall material.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Nah, their defense is by far the least of the Raiders concerns. Their QB situation absolutely has to be addressed, not to mention there is really no defensive talent outstanding enough to warrant a number 1 pick.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:44 pm

It doesn't matter if Russell isn't the best player available, QB's like him will be reached for just because of teams need for a franchise QB, especially a team that has been searching for one since Gannon left.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:10 pm

No way the Raiders go Defense. If they don't take a QB (which I think they will), I could see CJ or maybe Thomas (although they may be a bit gunshy about going OL that high after the Gallery fiasco), but no way do I see them taking a defensive player at 1.1.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:10 pm

I understand those points, but what QB can do anything with that O-Line and running game (or lack there of). They definitely have talent on offense with Moss, Porter, and Lamont Jordan, but defense wins championships, and I think the Raiders would be best served by going with what they have at QB and building a dominating defense. When healthy, Aaron Brooks isn't that bad, and they've said before that they want to make Tuispasopo their QB of the future. It just makes no sense to me to invest so much money into a QB that won't be able to do anything and won't be happy at all.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:22 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:I understand those points, but what QB can do anything with that O-Line and running game (or lack there of). They definitely have talent on offense with Moss, Porter, and Lamont Jordan, but defense wins championships, and I think the Raiders would be best served by going with what they have at QB and building a dominating defense. When healthy, Aaron Brooks isn't that bad, and they've said before that they want to make Tuispasopo their QB of the future. It just makes no sense to me to invest so much money into a QB that won't be able to do anything and won't be happy at all.

When did they say this, 3 years ago? Come on. You don't start Andrew Walter if Tui is your future. As for their line sucking, you're exactly right. I think Trading down and getting Joe Thomas might be the best idea. Or just take him with the first overall.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:24 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:I understand those points, but what QB can do anything with that O-Line and running game (or lack there of). They definitely have talent on offense with Moss, Porter, and Lamont Jordan, but defense wins championships, and I think the Raiders would be best served by going with what they have at QB and building a dominating defense. When healthy, Aaron Brooks isn't that bad, and they've said before that they want to make Tuispasopo their QB of the future. It just makes no sense to me to invest so much money into a QB that won't be able to do anything and won't be happy at all.

Moss isn't likely to be back and he is on the decline anyway, and no way is Porter back after what happened last year, so their cupboard at WR is going to be awfully thin. Aaron Brooks is an awful decision maker and isn't getting any younger, he is clearly not the answer at QB.

There's no defensive player that is even close to worthy of the #1 pick. The Raiders would have to trade down to the 6-10 range if they're going to take a defensive player.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:01 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:

Moss isn't likely to be back and he is on the decline anyway, and no way is Porter back after what happened last year, so their cupboard at WR is going to be awfully thin. Aaron Brooks is an awful decision maker and isn't getting any younger, he is clearly not the answer at QB.

There's no defensive player that is even close to worthy of the #1 pick. The Raiders would have to trade down to the 6-10 range if they're going to take a defensive player.

I really can't see them trading down or drafting defense, so I suppose they will go QB. Just a wasted pick, IMO.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Oakland's offense is way more of a problem than their defense (which actually isn't too bad)- no way they should take a defensive player

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk