Oakland Drafts Defense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Oakland Drafts Defense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:54 pm

I don't see them drafting defense even if they trade down. I think they should trade down and get either Thomas or Levi Brown and then target Drew Stanton in the second round.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:59 pm

THey'll take either Russell, Quinn or Calvin Jackson. Bet on it.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kilroy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:13 pm

bagobonez wrote:THey'll take either Russell, Quinn or Calvin Jackson. Bet on it.

Only thing I'm betting on where the Raiders are concerned is the other team on a given Sunday.

:-b

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:18 pm

Drafting defense would be by far a more wasted pick than drafting an offensive player, at least with offense they have a chance to make a big impact, defense is already very good (imo Superbowl Caliber, if the offense can control the ball better). The root of Oakland offensive problems last year can be traced back to the O-line or the QB, depending, getting a QB who's a play maker (mobile) and has a strong arm would do this team a world of good, since he can escape some rushes (Roethlisberger 06', although he still had a good O-line, similar situations), and that would help Lamont out a ton, considering D's would at least have to consider Oakland passing the ball to be an option.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Didn't Oakland not score an offensive TD in 10 of there 16 games this year?

I remember my Dad said something to be about this in week 17 when the Jets played Oakland.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Oakland's defense actually did a remarkable job considering just how hard their offense tried to lose every single game. Drafting defense would be a bigger mistake than leaving the offensive line woes unaddressed, and while I have no faith in them fixing up their offensive line, I don't think Al Davis and his crew are quite so incompetent as to not even make it look like they're trying to fix the offense. They're drafting QB, unless Randy Moss gets traded, then Calvin Johnson is a big consideration.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dogthedyslexic » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:52 am

bagobonez wrote:THey'll take either Russell, Quinn or Calvin Jackson. Bet on it.

Who?

I did a google search on that name, and this is what I found...

http://www.geocities.com/verbal_plainfield/i-p/calvinjackson.html
dogthedyslexic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby onnestabe » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:36 pm

If Oakland doesn't take a QB #1 overall, they have to take Thomas. Their offensive line sucks, and while they might be gunshy about taking an OT so early because of Gallery, passing up top talent at a need position is a surefire way to make sure you are drafting in the top 5 in next year's draft, too.

I could also see Calvin Johnson getting some consideration since he is by most accounts the best player in the draft, and Al Davis loves to accumulate playmakers and then not bring in any roleplayers to help them succeed.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk